Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have heard this story for years.

"It had a better trigger before Ruger Neutered it with that transfer bar nonsense".

But I sorta wonder... Is it really true? I guess that the effort needed to raise the transfer bar up over the firing pin does add a little weight to the trigger pull, but how could it be a whole ounce? That bar weighs nearly nothing.

I have two Single Sixes here, a 1950 unmodified "Three Screw", and a brand new Stainless "New Model".

I can see that there are differences in the guns, and I can feel that the triggers aren't the same... But the differences are small and it wouldn't surprise me that the 60 some-odd years and thousands and thousands of rounds fired might have worn things just a little bit, and the new gun might feel the same after it gets the same treatment.

So, what do you guys think?

Are we saying that the old triggers were better just because we have been hearing that all our lives, or is there some concrete reason why this is in arguably true?

I can tell you that in the two examples I have here, There's very little proof of the "Three screw superiority".

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
In my opinion, it's nonsense......

Every generation thinks the guns of yester-year were "better", it's not always the case.

My 2016 .45 Vaquero shoots groups at 25 you can cover with a half dollar, my 1980 production .357 Blackhawk with a Trapper spring kit outshot my 1960's production S&W 28-1 from sandbags and I thought that 28-1 was a tack driver.......but those transfer bars made the triggers horrible I guess:)

If people think Old Models are better, the solution is easy........find yourself a few Old Models that haven't been "safety updated" and just shoot those, it's that easy.

I myself am not going to miss out on new guns that are excellent shooters because of some gun shop old wives tale.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
In my opinion, it's nonsense......

Every generation thinks the guns of yester-year were "better", it's not always the case.

My 2016 .45 Vaquero shoots groups at 25 you can cover with a half dollar, my 1980 production .357 Blackhawk with a Trapper spring kit outshot my 1960's production S&W 28-1 from sandbags and I thought that 28-1 was a tack driver.......but those transfer bars made the triggers horrible I guess:)

If people think Old Models are better, the solution is easy........find yourself a few Old Models that haven't been "safety updated" and just shoot those, it's that easy.

I myself am not going to miss out on new guns that are excellent shooters because of some gun shop old wives tale.
Do you own any older 3 screw Blackhawks?........if you don't, how do you know it's nonsense. Not sure what a 60s S&W has to do with the question either.

I have several old Blackhawks and several new Blackhawks. To me there is no comparison in the feel of the triggers. The older guns are smoother and feel better. But that's just my opinion, but it is also not just based on just ONE of either style

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
I feel is up to the shooter's preference. I have new and old guns and like them all. I feel that maybe the older guns also have been used more so rough spots have gone.

·
Registered
251 Posts
I have many of both, OM/NM BH's and a couple Vaqueros....IMO the OM action is Better, overall..
I have one Vaquero that I spent alot of time on, and it is really nice..."almost" as good as my Old .45/ that has about 30min of "slicking"...could be an "Old Wives Tale"....:)

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
I have several old model un altered Blackhawks in several calibers and at least in my case every one of them has a far better trigger than my new models...None of any of my old model revolvers have had any "trigger jobs" or work done on them and all are guns that have had very little use. I recently took my Old model 357 from 1965 to the range..I love to shoot that revolver and I'm always amazed at how smooth it is...I guess the debate will continue but in my case...untouched (no trigger "jobs", no Ruger safety mods, etc) old models are much nicer performers than the new models.

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I own several old model rugers as collectors. I do not shoot non transfer bar guns. I know how to handle them safely but my grandsons may not. My 1977 ne model 45/45 convetible blackhawk has a 31/2 lb trigger pull very little takeup. How 1 75 k plus rounds thru no trigger job.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
We own both, too and have to say that we have both Old Models and New Models with excellent triggers. For sure, I buy Old Models because I love the feel and sound of that Old Model Action and not because of their triggers. As for accuracy, the New Models are every bit as accurate, if not more so, especially the newer guns we've bought. Again, I like the Old Models for what they are, not for some perceived superiority.

·
Registered
5,667 Posts
The only OM action revolvers I have are my ROAs. I too really like the sound of the OM action when you eer back on the o' hammer. The actions do seem better, than the NM out of the box. That might have been they took more time on them back then in the factory. I don't know. That said, after a tune-up, both actions are very good. Accuracy, of course, has nothing to do with the action. Either type of gun can be just as accurate. Just a good action job 'helps' the person shoot more accurately :) .

·
Registered
123 Posts
Makes you wonder why there are still so many non updated old models after 43 years doesn't it. Especially considering the "update" is free. Just saying.

·
Registered
865 Posts
As close as I can get to apples to apples is when Ruger reintroduced their Bearcat I bought a SS one. At the same time I found an original LNIB one a collector had. Shooting them next to each other the old one had a little nicer trigger.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Dakota 1911: That's a good comparison: Same gun, same caliber, etc. About as close as you can get.

In my comparison (above), I have a converted 41 OM and a NM 41, both 4 5/8", as well as an unconverted 4 5/8 45 Colt OM. The best trigger is my Gary Reeder 454 but that's a custom trigger job.

I'll also say, thbe difference is slight and may not be noticed by most shooters.

·
Registered
5,723 Posts
Makes you wonder why there are still so many non updated old models after 43 years doesn't it. Especially considering the "update" is free. Just saying.
Probably for the same reason there are old cars made into big engine hotrods that don't run cat converters...some of us don't like the "rules" of society these days..if Ruger wants to offer the change and someone wants to take advantage of it..fine but to refuse to work on an old model without doing the "upgrade" is a bunch of hooey in my book...My old models are in my safe because they are old models that never got fiddled with....and I'll bet there are plenty of of folks the same way...we also got new models that we shoot as well....

The California gubberment is trying real hard to force gun manufacturers to do lots of things like microstamping firing pins (which is impossible)....so the guns go off the roster will not be reinstated..those guns are already bringing a premium on the used gun market as they will grandfather in.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,691 Posts
Just so you know .... 1/2 the sear is the trigger extension, the other half is a notch in the hammer. Both OMs and NMs use exactly the same type of sears, however the trigger springs are much different .... which can notably change trigger pull. One common complaint is when an OM is sent in for the transfer bar conversion, it comes back with a raspy trigger. No doubt ... the new replacement parts are not as smooth as the original.

It's pretty common to hear about OMs having better triggers ... in fact my own OM Single-Sixes and Blackhawk are better than new out-of-the-box NMs. Also keep this in mind ... chances are original OMs have a little more wear, which helps make them a bit smoother.

I also have heard tales about the transfer bar increasing trigger pull ... which is totally bogus. I can tell you this ... give me a 1/2 hour on the bench with either and I can make them equally light and smooth.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I guess I am the odd ball here. I have an OM and a NM Bearcat and OM and NM Blackhawks (357's and 41's). Blindfolded I could not tell the difference in any of them with the exception of the OM 41. It is sweet. May just be my revolvers or it may be that I am not "trigger pull sensitive". JMHO

·
Registered
860 Posts
Old Model hands down. Simpler mechanically and not a lawyers answer to a problem that didn't exist. Sorry, I am older and like real single actions

·
Registered
2,460 Posts
I've never taken them apart but the trigger on my old model 357 Blackhawk (1972) feels much lighter and has a crisp break compared to every new model Blackhawk I've handled. I think because the triggers and trigger guard are aluminum alloy it may contribute to the lighter pull.

·
Registered
34 Posts
We own both, too and have to say that we have both Old Models and New Models with excellent triggers. For sure, I buy Old Models because I love the feel and sound of that Old Model Action and not because of their triggers. As for accuracy, the New Models are every bit as accurate, if not more so, especially the newer guns we've bought. Again, I like the Old Models for what they are, not for some perceived superiority.
I own old models for the same reasons. Plus for me, if I can find a mint OM, I'll pass on a current NM and happily pay a little extra for that 3rd screw and no warning rollmarks. :(

Don't get me started on fake pearl stocks and get off my lawn!! :p

1 - 20 of 32 Posts