Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Do we tell LEOs during a traffic stop that we're carrying?

I respect LEOs, but I have questions. Do we have to tell a LEO during a traffic stop that we are carrying? Our PTC instructor said "No," but is it different for different states?

Fast forward to 4:20 to see when the CCW part of the traffic stop happens. About 10:50 the LEO tells the man that he's guilty of a felony for CCW. At about 12:00 the LEO tells the man that he should have pulled his Glock 40 and put 10 rounds in him for not telling him that he's carrying. He goes on to tell the man that his partner would have been a good witness as he executed him for being stupid.

Licensed Conceal Carry Threatened w/ Execution by Canton OH Police - YouTube

·
Reloader
4,138 Posts
I have a bunch of friends that are LEO's. They say they always are expecting and acting like the person in the car is armed. No matter if they are or not. Me, I have told in the past and it was no problem.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I was told that when you hand them your drivers license to also hand them your concealed carry license. Don't just tell them "I have a gun."

·
Registered
3,552 Posts
Inform LEO while keeping both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. Let them discuss how things will be done.

Why loose your right to conceal carry over a speeding ticket, much less your life if your moving about in the car with your hands; and from you plate already know you are armed. Stay cool, hands on the wheel and speak clearly.

·
Registered
7,608 Posts
It depends on what state you are in. In NC it is required to notify LEO that you are carrying. Even if it's not required I think it's a good idea to let them know. I know I would like to know if I were in their position. It's not the good guys they worry about it's the bad guys and there's plenty of them around.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Depends on the state you live in. Some require it and some do not. I always hand the LEO my permit with my license (not that I get stopped that much) just out of respect. Some states like TX have access to that info when they run your license so if you do not say something they may think you are hiding something.

The last traffic stop I had here in CO I handed the LEO my permit. He said "why did you hand me this"? I said I wanted to make him aware that I am a permit holder out of respect. He said " do you have your weapon on you? to which I replied yes, do you want to inspect it"? He said no that's ok, no problems here as long and you don't shoot me, then I guess I will have a big problem.

He then gave me my speeding ticked and I was on my way.

MadDog

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Inform LEO while keeping both hands on the wheel at 10 and 2. Let them discuss how things will be done.

Why loose your right to conceal carry over a speeding ticket, much less your life if your moving about in the car with your hands; and from you plate already know you are armed. Stay cool, hands on the wheel and speak clearly.
I think this makes sense. Even though our instructor said we don't have to tell them, I think it best to do as you say, daleeman: Hands on the wheel and tell them and let them say what is to happen next.

·
Registered
41 Posts
In Indiana, you do not have to declare that you are carrying. I believe that somewhere in the wording of the law, it "suggests" that you notify a LEO of such "in a non-threatening manner." Like most above, I agree that it is common courtesy to notify the LEO while keeping your hands where they can be seen. I have applied for my LTCH, but have not received it yet. When I do get it, that will be my course of action if I am pulled over.

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Depends on the state you live in. Some require it and some do not. I always hand the LEO my permit with my license (not that I get stopped that much) just out of respect. Some states like TX have access to that info when they run your license so if you do not say something they may think you are hiding something.

The last traffic stop I had here in CO I handed the LEO my permit. He said "why did you hand me this"? I said I wanted to make him aware that I am a permit holder out of respect. He said " do you have your weapon on you? to which I replied yes, do you want to inspect it"? He said no that's ok, no problems here as long and you don't shoot me, then I guess I will have a big problem.

He then gave me my speeding ticked and I was on my way.

MadDog
Our instructor said that he's been told how people have been let go on a traffic stop because they were courteous enough to tell the LEO, and he's also been told that people have been pulled out of the car for telling them.

It could be a horse a piece.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
In NH there is no obligation to notify.

·
Registered
261 Posts
In Colorado if he doesn't ask no you don't, if he askes then yes you do. But, with that being said I believe you should keep you driver and CWP together and hand them BOTH over if you get pulled over. It shows respect to the officer. He does have the right to disarm you if he chooses for the duration of the stop then give your firearm over to you when finished (unless you are going to jail etc.)
If you don't at least let him know you are carrying...if he finds out later it will look to him as if you were keeping it from him and will change his entire attitude toward you.
Darrell

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
I've asked every LEO I could the question about how they'd like this situation to be handled and I'm shocked how little forethought has been done. At least in this state (NH) there doesn't seem to be a protocol.

This question does come up periodically here on this forum and I think it's a very good one.

If there is a common answer and IHMO the best answer, it's to include your carry permit with your license and registration IF YOU"RE carrying at that time. I prefer the policy of 'no surprises' and let the LEO make up his/her own mind if that information is important or not. I make sure the LEO is in control of the complete situation - everyone goes home today, no drama.

If I'm not carrying then I don't see where it matters one way or the other.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
I keep my drivers license and CHL in the same place in my wallet just so I can hand them both together without having to say anything. The police officer will probably ask you if you are carrying and where. I feel it's a matter of respect and consideration of the police officer and should be done regardless if it's the law in my state or not.

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
In Colorado if he doesn't ask no you don't, if he askes then yes you do. But, with that being said I believe you should keep you driver and CWP together and hand them BOTH over if you get pulled over. It shows respect to the officer. He does have the right to disarm you if he chooses for the duration of the stop then give your firearm over to you when finished (unless you are going to jail etc.)
If you don't at least let him know you are carrying...if he finds out later it will look to him as if you were keeping it from him and will change his entire attitude toward you.
Darrell
Good points, Dt400. If the LEO wants to disarm me for the rest of the stop, I sure hope he doesn't slam my colt onto my trunk lid and let it slide off onto the road. That would bum be out pretty badly.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I believe that video was from Ohio, where they do have a ''Duty to inform'' Law.
Here in Pa we are not a ''Duty to inform'' State and I would not even bring it up unless I was asked or asked to get out of the vehicle.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Here in Virginia when you get a CCW permit that imformation goes to the DMV and when a cop pulls you over and gives the dispatcher your tag # if you have a CCW that information comes up and the LEO knows you do have a permit and might be carrying

·
To the Right of Reagan
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
One thing I started doing about two years ago when I get stopped, I pull off the road until my car or truck is on the grass or as far over as I can go. The LEOs always keep their squad cars a bit offset when behind you. The center of their grille is usually about even with your driver's side taillight. Anyone ever see a LEO talking with someone who's still in their car? The LEO's butt is usually in the traffic lane.

I was stopped by a State Trooper doing 70 last spring around 8:00 a.m. in the morning. It was a state highway, and I pulled my car all the way onto the grass. His entire squad car was completely on the shoulder, and he still was able to keep their usual offset parking configuration. He took a look at my license and let me go! Of course, he told me to please slow it down and take it easy. I couldn't believe it.

There are a lot of LEOs getting hit on the road while they talk during a traffic stop.

·
Super Moderator
21,469 Posts
He does have the right to disarm you if he chooses for the duration of the stop then give your firearm over to you when finished
Darrell
My thoughts are that is precisely why if it isn't required by statute then it's none of his business. If he asks then you cannot lie but I am not about to shoot him so there is no need to disarm me.

If he somehow finds out you didn't inform and you are within your legal rights then get over it. I am not the enemy I am just a private citizen who chooses to arm himself. I have noticed that in many places it is a them our us with LEO's and that is just wrong. There isn't a one of them I wouldn't try to assist if they needed it.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
ALWAYS let a cop know you're carrying. You don't want any surprises during a traffic stop. Also, I'm sure the cop will appreciate the fact that you let him/her know.

1 - 20 of 141 Posts