Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
2,336 Posts
Occasionally when I open carry, never concealed.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
I have open carried several SA revolvers. Depends on my mood, or where I am going. I have carried navy conversions, cap and ball, and a 1873 Pietta 44 mag. But if I am carrying revolvers I always carry two, even with DA revolvers.

·
Registered
392 Posts
in the winter, I'll sometimes carry a Single Seven, I like the .327 100gr. Federal round.
here is a video from Ruger on SA for defense.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XoW7VUZtn-E
it's a 7 part video. notice the grip and hammer/trigger control. using some of the tips and techniques in this series, I've practiced a draw going to a 2 hand grip, cocking the hammer with support hand thumb and firing when the gun is in my line of sight. very fast and accurate. I have practiced this with S&W(J and K frames), Colt DA revolvers and for me, shooting SA is more accurate and just as fast.
good luck, have fun.

·
Registered
575 Posts
18 yrs of Cowboy Action Shooting makes me very comfortable and fast in shooting SA guns . My Glock and Ruger are both very accurate but the SA is 40 oz EMPTY and my Glock is 32 ozs loaded with 13 rds and a lot smaller and easier to conceal . So SA gun are not a good CCW in my opinion .

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
The only SA I carry for "real" self defense are my NAA mini revolvers, I have the .22 Short, LR and a Mag Pug .22 WMR. They will do when I can't carry anything else, kind of "break glass in case of emergency" type guns. If you get in an actual gun fight you're pretty much screwed, these are shoot and scoot "get off me" guns, even the .22 WMR PUG, it has night sights but for a threat past 5 yards I'd be real nervous about engaging. I carry the Short in a small wallet as kind of a "run to the store" type gun, and the LR I use mainly as a jogging gun anymore.

I have carried my .45 ACP Vaquero a couple times, just as a to and from work gun where I'm in the car 99% of the time. It fits in a "large revolver" IWB holster.

I'm not proficient enough with a Single Action to trust it for EDC, if you're the kind of guy who's been using thumb busters since you were old enough to walk and it's second nature, then roll with it. I'm not, I prefer a DA revolver. Bad thoughts about trying to cock a sixgun while someone's wailing on me, doesn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling. Even worse thoughts about actually being in an encounter where I have to reload, I've tried to reload my .45 ACP Vaquero at "combat speed" and it felt like it took forever, can't imagine doing it on a two way shooting range......I feel slow enough using speed strips with a DA revolver, let alone punching out empties with the ejector and feverishly trying to drop rounds into the chambers one at a time.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I carry mine mostly in the fall during hunting seasons. Sometimes concealed when winter clothing will cover. . They are not very easy to conceal though. I don't open carry in town. One thing about PA, if you are open carry during hunting season, you are now subject to game commission BS. And who needs to deal with them asshats. Printing is a non issue here. But having a SA along, I do leave my CC 9mm auto's at home. I dont expect to get into a gunfight in the woods. :)
DSCN2951.JPG

·
Banned
650 Posts
I don't conceal carry my SA. The only time I carry a SA is during hunting season. I doubt anyone is going to attack me with a hunting rifle or shotgun in hand.

·
Dog Soldier
1,782 Posts
Used to all the time. Now not so often. I did last weekend just because I like to. I have two 6 1/2inch barrel Blackhawks that fit a Kramer iWB. Always feels good to have a big single action

·
Registered
336 Posts
I carry one always on the farm because i like too and i can vary lots of different kinds of loads from shotshell for snakes or rats to enough punch from 44 mag or 45 colt to drop an angry bull that dont want to go to market if the need arises. I dont feel really under armed with the 327 magnum although it would be a little light on a cow. But i really really refrain from shooting my cows angry or not. They are worth cash haha.

But when i usually carry in public where the threat is human i carry either a 40 cal walther p99, 9mm cz p01, and usually a lcp in my pocket. I have always thought about an ar pistol to keep in the truck to use as sort of a rifle to handle a large threat without having to carry a rifle, but admittedly where I live that is a little armchair commando coming out of me

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Comfort in what you use (carry/shoot) and skill are both important...if one is comfortable and experienced with a SA revolver, then by all means CC one!

I am considering picking up a Birds Head grip Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt...I would probably CC it with some experience in shooting it! It's not 'quicks-draw McGraw'...it's because I like that caliber!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I dont feel really under armed with the 327 magnum although it would be a little light on a cow. But i really really refrain from shooting my cows angry or not. They are worth cash haha.

I never really felt "under gunned" with my 327 Blackhawk. Its actually the SA that I carry the most. Mainly because its deadly accurate @ 150 yards.
It holds 8 rounds, and even though 100 grain American Eagles are pretty nasty, I still probably wouldn't shoot a mad cow, or a polar bear with it, unless maybe if they were chewing on me. ;)

But two legged critters, That big stainless revolver is pretty intimidating looking.
We had an antique tractor show one time. And since it was a all weekend thing, we had 2 of us stay at the park overnite for security for peoples tractors. And sure enough, some scummers showed up about midnight. I got the 327 out of the truck , strapped it on, open carry, and walked down to where they were hangin out drinkin & dopin.
I was very polite, stayed back about 10 feet, ask them how they were doing, told them the show was closed for the evening, and invited them to come back the next day and enjoy the festivities. I noticed the one guys eyes never left the big stainless Ruger. They left immediately. We never seen them again either. :D LOL. DSCN2953.JPG

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
Comfort in what you use (carry/shoot) and skill are both important...if one is comfortable and experienced with a SA revolver, then by all means CC one!

I am considering picking up a Birds Head grip Ruger Vaquero in .45 Colt...I would probably CC it with some experience in shooting it! It's not 'quicks-draw McGraw'...it's because I like that caliber!
I recently did pick up a Birdshead New Vaquero in 45 colt... because I like the caliber! :D
I have a high-ride OWB holster on it's way, and would like to try CCing it once we get into jacket weather... At least around our semi-rural neighborhood, walking the dog, etc.

Here's another size comparison...
The J-frame .357 that I usually pocket carry, and the .45. (Both weights are empty.) There is a huge difference, not only in overall size, but also thickness. Notice the difference in the cylinders!
With the birdshead grips and short barrel, it's still a large gun... but it is sweet! ;)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Colt Single Action Army, 45 long Colt, 7 1/2" barrel. No.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I occasionally do, how about you ?
My current single action is a Ruger new model Blackhawk 50th Anniversary .44 mag with a 6 1/2" barrel. At 46 oz. (nearly four pounds) it is a little large for Concealed Carry. Though in the past I have carried a S & W 629 Mountain Gun at 41 oz, A old model Vaquero .44 Mag at 41 oz, and even a new model Vaquero .45 LC at 41 oz at different times ( I recently gave the new model Vaquero to my son on his 51 Birthday). Those heavy guns get to be a pain in the neck after a while. If I go out in the North Dakota or Northern Minnesota woods I normally carry my new model Blackhawk in a shoulder holster which is much more convenient and practical for prospecting or fly fishing. For normal CCW I carry a Glock 23, .40 S&W, or a S & W snub nose Bodyguard .38 +P along with my little North American arms Side Winder .22 Mag as backup.

·
Have gun, will travel
1,339 Posts
Had to change

When California made all open carry illegal except when in the process of hunting, or on private property, I started carrying my varmint persuader concealed(either a 32 H&R SSM or my 44 Special flattop)
I used to just use an old Bianci lawman, but I use a shoulder rig now.

·
Registered
198 Posts
There are times when out and about in the fall I'll carry a SA. The first is a SS 32 H&R Mag with a 4 5/8ths" barrel or if in wolf country a Cimarron Thunderer 45 C with a 3.5" barrel. With either do not feel under gunned and not worried about not having 15+ rounds. If that type of situation might come up it would be one of my High Powers. For 27 of my 30 years as a LEO I carried either a 5 or 6 shot revolver, when I carried a semi auto it was a 1911A1.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.