Ruger Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm building a shed in my backyard for storage. While waiting for the rain to pass through , I went to Lowe's to get the tin for the roof. My wife, bless her heart, asked me if needed to cover the tin up with a tarp. I was tired and decided not to reply.

·
Registered
4,363 Posts
Tired but wise. lol (y)

Reactions: mrmike7189

·
Registered
64 Posts
I would have written:
Thank you dear for thinking of that and being a help by asking. I don’t think is is necessary now, but it could become so. if that becomes the case, I will let you know.
Then I would have had a beer, asked what was dinner, and taken a nap.

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
She's pretty sharp on her accounting ability and thought about extra cost for damage replacement. Waiting for my MIL to chime in on the "Why didn't you's " next. Lol.

·
Super Moderator
21,276 Posts
When you get it built ask her if you should put a tarp over the roof.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
I would. But then, my wife has a pretty good sense of humor and doesn't mind laughing at herself when she says or asks something goofy. She doesn't have a problem laughing at me either.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm building a shed in my backyard for storage. While waiting for the rain to pass through , I went to Lowe's to get the tin for the roof. My wife, bless her heart, asked me if needed to cover the tin up with a tarp. I was tired and decided not to reply.
"Better to find out if it rusts on the way home before we get it on the roof, rather than after we get it up there and nail it down."

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
I try hard to keep my mouth shut as my wife frantically and obsessively stuffs the groceries into her “insulated” shopping bags for the ten minute ride home. Those bags probably have an R value of 0.1, but she seems to think otherwise.

Growing up, we’d bring home ice cream, milk, etc. in paper bags, on the black vinyl seats of the station wagon, In the July Florida heat, and nothing ever spoiled.

My wife also thinks that if it’s 40 degrees outside, then groceries inside the car won’t spoil. As if, even without the car heater on, the cabin temp = outside air temp.

·
Cat Herder
1,637 Posts
I told this to my wife and her first response was "why would you cover roofing?" I'm glad she has some sense. Now if she could only learn to back her car up.

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
We got the dark green color. But over time (as I explained to her) it will have a tendency to fade a bit. I'll figure the price of an awning to cover the roof and submit it to her. You know when you start checking off the "Honey do" list, it seems to get bigger and bigger.

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
We had milk and eggs delivered by the grocer who had a guy hired to load them on a bicycle and bring them to your door. Food spoils quicker these days.
I try hard to keep my mouth shut as my wife frantically and obsessively stuffs the groceries into her “insulated” shopping bags for the ten minute ride home. Those bags probably have an R value of 0.1, but she seems to think otherwise.

Growing up, we’d bring home ice cream, milk, etc. in paper bags, on the black vinyl seats of the station wagon, In the July Florida heat, and nothing ever spoiled.

My wife also thinks that if it’s 40 degrees outside, then groceries inside the car won’t spoil. As if, even without the car heater on, the cabin temp = outside air temp.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,646 Posts
Deciding not reply is a good choice. After 33 years of marriage I have learned the hard way. Sometime it is much better to let it go. Our honey do list also is a evolving and growing monster. Some conversations are better left for another day. To learn the art of "live to fight another day" takes on a whole new meaning in marriage.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
We had milk and eggs delivered by the grocer who had a guy hired to load them on a bicycle and bring them to your door. Food spoils quicker these days.
And they left milk sitting outside on the front stoop. It's possible that it went from cow to your house faster in the old days, but I don't know for sure. I'm sure it goes from cow to grocery store fairly fast, but then it sits in the store a day or two.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
When it came time for me to build my shed ("Toybox"), I had come up with a design and size. Got with the Morton guys and made a few adjustments. When the Morton guy came back with the design, my wife was present. While it was "my" Toybox, she said "it isn't big enough"...She was talking about the building. I hope...

I had factored in shelter for farm equipment, my two semi-classic cars, and a workshop. She pointed out I should also factor in shelter for our trailers (horse, flatbed equipment hauler, 5X10 open trailer, 5X8 enclosed trailer, 5X8 dumping trailer). As with most things, she was right and so my 3,000SF Toybox expanded to 6,000+SF.

Well, I've been able to fill it up, mostly with "stuff" that should be either burned or in a land-fill. But also space for 450 bales of hay we hadn't factored in, plus horse bedding. But I also have a two-story enclosed and climate-controlled space of about 1,800SF (bigger than my first house). It contains an office/kitchen space, a bathroom (once I get things connected), a break-room, a 12X20' workshop, a concrete "bunker/storm shelter" for our two horses and us, and a large second-level to do honor to my Dad's HO-scale train set he started before I was born (about 900SF).

Morton has a pretty good guarantee on their buildings (lifetime for the original owner). But (not through Morton), we had the roof replaced on a 12X24 shed. It wasn't overwhelmingly expensive and should last long after I become room temperature.

IMHO, a tin roof, properly painted/treated, will outlast our mortal lives. If they don't, the cost to replace - particularly with an un-insulated shed - is minimal: the structure is already there! Particularly if screwed in rather than nailed in...

·
Count Ursunk
3,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
We have been wed for 43 years. I'm kinda like you on knowing the buttons I don't need to push. She's as gentle as a lamb until her Irish and Native American lineage gets stirred up. It's basically " Her " storage shed. A little room for me would be nice though. Lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts