Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
281 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seems like every time I go to a range there are always those two guys there; Tommy Tactical and Carl Camo.

Tommy is festooned in his 511 pants, neatly bloused into his desert boots. He is wearing a too tight t-shirt sporting a gun logo. Topping off the outfit is his baseball cap, aviator glasses, and shooting gloves. Always shoots a polymer pistol with flashlight, laser, cup holder, and USB port.

Carl can't seem to get enough camo; from hat to boots. I hate to tell him but I can still see him.

Neither one can hit the side of a barn....from inside.

I'll give trap shooters and cowboys a pass. Unless there is not a sanctioned cowboy event. Then you just look silly.

The range can also be entertaining.

Me, I just wear jeans and either a button down or sweatshirt. My hat will either be Indiana Pacers or Butler Bulldogs.

·
Super Moderator
21,420 Posts
They are headed to the mall afterwards.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
I always wear long pants and a shirt that fits closely enough around the neck to reduce the risk of hot brass dropping inside. I stay away from gun logo shirts unless that company is sponsoring me (which hasn’t happened yet).

Tacticool works for some guys, but on a short, graying, slightly paunchy guy like me, it just looks sad.

Camouflage has its place, but not at a gun range. I like to stand out when I’m at the range - not in the sense of “cutting edge” fashion, more in the line of “you’ll see me if I’m downrange setting up my target”.

Jim

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
The world seems to be full of phonies. Jeans, pocket t-shirt and tennis shoes are my "uniform of the day." :D

Reactions: yattwood

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
I put on clothes but don't "dress up" .
During hunting season just about everyone, even the kids are wearing camo , but it is , after all , hunting season .
Gary

·
Registered
17,083 Posts
Levi's and a T-shirt. Add a flannel shirt when it's cold.

·
Registered
2,588 Posts
I might wear my "Cold Dead Hands" Marvin the Martian T-shirt at the range and I do own a Hornady hat that I wear fairly often (LGS gave me the hat after I helped sell a rifle). The only "tactical" clothing I wear is a pair of mil-surp desert tan boots because they're comfortable and cheap! As in 77 cents a pair cheap:eek:

Other than that, it's jeans or shorts and a sweatshirt/jacket as needed.

·
Premium Member
381 Posts
I wear whatever I'm wearing, which is usually jeans and sneakers, baggy t-shirt in the warm weather or baggy long sleeve tee or sweatshirt in cooler weather. I'm old and retired with nobody to impress, and all I care about is being comfortable and concealing my carry gun.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,337 Posts
My range bag matches my shoes.

·
Registered
739 Posts
When shooting revolvers, I wear my full Sitka hunting outfit, bibs and jacket, with my Kenetrek boots. I feel that it makes me shoot better.

When shooting pistols, I usually wear my tacticool outfit, with full kevlar.

Just kidding, I don't even own any of that stuff. Usually I wear shorts, solid color t-shirt, and tennis shoes, a wrist watch, my prescription eye glasses, and no hat.

·
Registered
6,243 Posts
When shooting revolvers, I wear my full Sitka hunting outfit, bibs and jacket, with my Kenetrek boots. I feel that it makes me shoot better.

When shooting pistols, I usually wear my tacticool outfit, with full kevlar.

Just kidding, I don't even own any of that stuff. Usually I wear shorts, solid color t-shirt, and tennis shoes, a wrist watch, my prescription eye glasses, and no hat.

In the Army - and also in my Police Reserve training - we would shoot at the range with full body armor and web gear, so that we would know how that gear affected our shooting. I suppose it would make sense to “gear up” in your hunting clothes to see how that affects your aim.

Of course, Tacticool Tom and Camo Carl probably don’t have that excuse; I doubt that they’re wearing that gear around the house or at work (or maybe they do...).

Jim

·
Cat Herder
1,649 Posts
Anytime I carry in warm weather I wear a button up short sleeve shirt untucked as it hides my 357 better than a t-shirt. Typically wearing shorts and tennis shoes or sandals as my range is outdoor and it has been over ninety the last three visits. I don’t wear gloves shooting, my hands have handled 70 357 mags through an S&W 360 with wood boot grips on the last two range visits, what is a tacticool pistol going to do to them?

My brother-in-law always dresses up for the range. Puts on his Beretta fanboy hat, dresses in tacticool clothes, packs his military looking backpack with range stuff, wears his “shooting” gloves. He is actually a good shot, but whiny about recoil.

1 - 20 of 175 Posts