Ruger Forum banner

41 - 60 of 175 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Those guy's are all over. One range I used to shoot at, one came in several times, and after watching him for a little while, packed up and left (he was shooting EVERYONE's targets, SPRAYING bullets down range!). After the first time, when he walked in, I walked out.

Another group I see are the ones that hang there guns all over them (hip, shoulder harness). Trying to figure who they are trying to impress!

I wear cargo pants (or shorts when VERY hot), and t shirt or heavier when cold.

·
Premium Member
Support Veterans
2,627 Posts
We have these guys here too! Not so much at the range I go to now but I see these guys where ever I go. As far as dress, I always train in what I am wearing for the season with a solid belt and a secure Kydex holster plus extra magazine.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Does shooting while only wearing boxers count as dressing up?

If not, now I understand why they were so upset at the range!

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
Always, doesn't everyone.....

Well Sir, if ur gonna go,, thats HOW right there. :D

Im not near as classy when shootin my CZ's. :p.
Loose fitting lighter colors.
COMFORT is no#1.
Black is just to hot for me.
( We were shooting 50 yards, thats why our son was spotting.)
DSC_0375.JPG

·
Registered
1,580 Posts
I avoid the range, and just about every other organized group activity or gathering because of this...

You're not a "real" (fill in the blank) whatever enthusiast unless you have, use, wear, whatever brand, model, color, etc. etc. etc.

Conformity is weakness.

Or maybe, I'm just a grumpy old introvert. :rolleyes:

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I avoid the range, and just about every other organized group activity or gathering because of this...

You're not a "real" (fill in the blank) whatever enthusiast unless you have, use, wear, whatever brand, model, color, etc. etc. etc.

Conformity is weakness.

Or maybe, I'm just a grumpy old introvert. :rolleyes:
I KNOW I am. LMAO. :D

There are very few people I like to be around.
And even then, that is is about 99% family. ;)

I have a 50 yard pistol range at home.
A 200 yard range at our dads.
A 300 yard range at my brothers.

So I have no real need to go to a public range unless I want to visit the 1000 yard range about 40 miles away.
And for some reason, thats a totally different atmosphere and crowd there. Mostly older guys and ex military, which I fit both of those categorys. . I wish that range was closer, Id probably go shoot there more often.

You couldnt pay me to go to our public 100 yard range here. They got so outta control that LE had a big bust there a couple weeks ago and arrested a pile of kids, all drinking and acting up. That range is about 500 yards from my brothers 300 yard range. They shoot in the opposite direction from us. But last summer I was hearing bullets coming from there and snapping across the hill where we were planting oats for the deer. Just unbelievable. I knew some idiots hung out there, but had no idea the place seemed clean full of complete morons. They had to of been shooting right out the range entrance road to make bullets come our way.:mad:

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,315 Posts
The indoor range I go to has a list of people banned from the place. Maybe that’s the reason I don’t see the tacticool and camo bros.
Short pants, short sleeve shirt and ball cap in summer. Switch to long pants and add a hoodie in cooler weather.

·
Banned
1,427 Posts
I am picky about range wardrobe. I had thought about dressing like the GI Joe Nutfancy outfits, but the Tacticool outfits come across more like a Nutcase aka Nutfancy.
And I like to dress up a little. Here is a pic of me headed for the local range. I always like to get a good selfie before I get there.

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Not so much at the range but they're out in force at the gun shows. Camo, camo, camo as though they need to blend in. There's of course the Tactical Teds with all their pockets and web belts, 36 pouches and all the other "necessities". :rolleyes: Now add in the ones wearing faded or ripped t-shirts2 sizes too small and the t-shirts with whatever the latest fashions catch phrase is and that's the majority of the crowds.
Nope>

With that they also seem to suit what they wear. The camo clad crowd are always experts in hunting anything on the planet and will gleefully expound their knowledge of how one needs the latest whiz-bang, super ultra maxi magnum cartridge for the whitetail deer. Interestingly, they feel it necessary to have the latest 24x optic mounted atop their long barreled mini nuclear missile launcher for hunting in think brush.
The apparent SWAT team members...you'd think they were the instructors for the instructors for the top facilities in the country.
Mr "can't afford a new t-shirt yet obviously whales beer by the trailer" - neat how they have to handle every high-dollar item passing by the average stuff. Buddy, save the money, buy a shirt and join a gym. :D

·
Super Moderator
16,206 Posts
Just jeans, appropriate shirt and footwear (depending on weather) and a baseball style cap to help protect against the occasional brass shower emanating from an adjacent stall. I am however always "super impressed" by the tacticool fashionistas who grace our presence from time to time :rolleyes:

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
This discussion reminds me of when I was a 'yoot'.

I'd see guys driving around with the feather roach clip attached to the rear view mirror in their car. Kinda like advertising to the cops, "Hey, pull me over and you'll likely find weed in my car". Never made sense to me.

And today, when I see guys wearing pro-gun shirts or over-the-top 2nd Amendment
t-shirts, I think it is a mistake. From my perspective, part of carrying a concealed weapon is remaining somewhat anonymous and blending in.

·
Registered
836 Posts
I have a sexy black number I wear in the winter. (Carhart canvas jacket) .
My wife says I look so manly when wearing it and I like that.
I just received my free NRA baseball hat in the mail, and it is also black .
goes so well with my jacket I think i will wear it with my carhart this year .
that will get all the ladies wet!

·
Registered
951 Posts
It depends on what I'm shooting.
Semi-auto handgun requires a tuxedo.
Revolver needs chaps & cowboy hat.
Semi-auto rifle would be camo day.
Single-shot rifle is a ghillie suit.
Shotgun calls for red plaid jacket and a hat with earflaps.
"Look professional, act professional, charge professional."

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I have been to a lot of local ranges but one that's in the city its quite common to see shooters in a suit and tie. A lot of the guys work in corporate banks. Charlotte is a banking City. They go to the range right after work ends. I don't care what people wear as long as they're following rules.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
We've all seen this guy:

Full beard
Oakleys
511 pants
Black t-shirt
Paracord bracelet
Danner boots
Big dive watch
Tactical folder with clip showing
Lifted Dodge Ram diesel without a speck of dirt/mud
FN 5.7
Wilson Combat AR with EOTech
Tribal tattoo
338 Lapua rifle with Nightforce 24X scope
Military ball cap on backwards

Sometimes they can shoot, sometimes they cant but they're always obnoxious. The handful of gentlemen I know that are the real deal don't walk around looking or acting like that. They're discreet and pride themselves on being unnoticed. One drives a BMW 3 series and usually dresses in slacks and a buttoned down shirt. You wouldn't know him from an insurance salesman but his tactical/combat resume is impressive.

Where I live camo is a way of life so that isn't at all unusual or weird. I see camo every day at the gas station, Tractor Supply, feed store and Wal-Mart. OTOH, no one near me goes to a range. We just step out back and shoot whenever we want to.

41 - 60 of 175 Posts