Ruger Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
Ruger: Model 19122 pc 9
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have said that I have sold a grand total of 1 gun in my life. And it is true. Not even a pellet gun, just 1 dpms oracle I had customized a little. I sold it to my ex coworker/neighbor that owns the land adjacent my property line furthest from my road frontage, stripped back down to factory except for an m16 pattern bolt.
Anyway I missed the thing. I had replaced it with the pcc 9 and kept my 20" wylde.
Now, neighbor says I can buy it back. He is trying to fund a new glock. He is a glock fan, I am not. We are still friends, but its tough on him because my Ruger American is such a superior weapon than his glocks. Even my Beretta is a superior weapon and it saddens him. But I guess there is some new super glock he wants.
I sold the panther to justify my pcc to my wife for 250. Now I can buy it back for 350. I currently have 1 extra optic, a cheap crimson trace I got free with the purchase of my rad pro. Idk. It is a fine ar, nothing special, lighter than my colt and 20", lighter than the pcc.
I think I will reclaim it. Sold jan 2019 for 250 rebought nov 2022 for 350. As long as I tell the wife its way cheaper than a new ar in todays world she might not scalp me. Found pic in phone from when I stripped it back down for him. Is there a rule about buying a gun back?? I had given him 4 gen 3 mags too...I don't think I get those back. I know he at least put 60 rounds down the pipe.
Automotive tire Shotgun Armrest Personal protective equipment Chair

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ruger American versus Glock. I think we might disagree a bit with you there.

I sold an older, S&W, Bodyguard in stainless with a pinned barrel.

I sold a Norinco GI 1911.

I sold 4 Norinco AKs.

I would like to have both pistols and one AK back. The rest, went for a better reason.
Superior is, of course, subjective. In this case measured by most lead, fastest, closest to center, field stripped, cleaned, reassembled and back on target fastest, with fewest failures. And.... purdiest :ROFLMAO:
(I am joking of course, we both have excellent weapons, I just like picking on glock fans cause they react so intensly)

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have bought and sold hundreds of guns since my first purchase in 1962 from the Sears catalog. I spent twenty-two years in the military living in several different states and countries.

My careers after the military also included moves from one coast to the other. I have lived in multiple cities in twelve different states and two countries. I have lived in eight different cities in California from San Diego to San Francisco.

I sold a large safe and all of the contents and all of the ammo to one person when I moved across country. I kept a 1911 for myself and an S&W 357 magnum for my wife.

I have owned the same model guns several times. I have owned a Ruger Blackhawk and surplus M1 Carbine in 30 Carbine caliber three different times so far.
I get too attached.... everything becomes an experiment I get engrossed in.

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Too late. She has her own.

I have heard her say she will just whip up a special dish for dinner and exterminate me that way. I never take the first bite of anything.
Poor Fido!!!! Or do you make the cats take the first bite? Cats are so finiky they may be better in that role.

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I miss my Python, Series 70 Gold Cup, M700 .375 H&H, Ruger No. 1 .25-06, Sako .375 H&H and Sako .223….I’ve replaced everything else and then some. And I miss my first dog, a rabbit chasing machine (Basset Hound)
I am a dog lover, spoiler even. My reputation. I am supposedly a tough guy. I ball when I have lost a dog.

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 · (Edited)
Oh yeah! I have a list...

Shotguns, only one here.
Churchill Fly weight 20ga. SxS. What a beautiful and light gun that was!

Quite a few rifles.
FN post war Standard model Mauser 98 in .30/06
Mint Enfield #4 MkI
Mint 1909 Argentine Mauser
FN 49 sniper in .30/06
Remington U.S.1917
Interarms MkX Mauser sporting rifle in 7mm Mauser.
1895 Krag cavalry carbine
Remington 513T .22
Marlin M39A
Pre WWI Mauser Model B 8mm Mauser

Revolvers
4'' S&W M28 .357Magnum
U.S. 1917 S&W
8 3/8'' S&W K-22
Ruger old Model Super Blackhawk .44Magnum
7 1/2'' Colt SAA .44spl.
Mint 6'' Colt Police Positive Special, 1928

Self loading pistols
1st year production (1928) Colt Super .38 with pre-war .22 conversion unit. Looked like it was dragged through the Amazon by a string for a couple of years, but it was a still a great shooter and I love the .38 Super.
Beretta M-70s .22lr.
Taurus/Beretta M-92 My opinion better built than the Italian model.
Wow, the 1928 colt super .38 with a pre war .22 conversion kit, that is a weapon that ANYONE would miss! I bet it had a story to tell before you got it or sold it!

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
The right side of the gun had deep blood pitting and the gun over-all was pretty much void of finish. The conversion unit was well used, but nothing like the parent gun. It did shoot well and caused a life time love for the .38 Super cartridge over anything the Colt Gov't model is chambered for...including the 10mm, I have a 10mm SS Delta Elite and much prefer the Super.
I never owned a .38 super, but have shot one. I agree with you. It is a wonderfully controlable round in the platform. If the world was "fair", .38 super would be as common as the 9x19

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Nope. I've sold just one, a Lee-Enfield, to get a Winchester 70 (made in 1960) that I enjoy a lot more for deer hunting.

When I sell something or give it to a relation, I don't look back. I sold my first car, and a few years ago I found another like it. Mine was in poor shape, so I don't miss it, but it was nice having one in a better starting condition to restore and drive.

I may sell a gun or two in the coming years, and if I do, no regrets.
Well Ihave given guns away. My dad a lever .410 henry and my nephew a single six. And my sister a berretta 92fs from wilson combat

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
The guns I truly miss are all the guns that got stolen from my Dad's farmhouse. Th ones he gave me & the ones I would have inherited (like Springfield 1911, S&W .45 revolver, and WWII 8mm Nambu, bicentennial Single Six, etc.). As I have said many times, it's the memories that matter more than the material value.

On the bright side, I have since replaced almost everything I lost that he gave me, even my 1st Benjamin air rifle. I have never been able to locate a replacement Winchester Defender shotgun. They started making them again, but not in 20 Ga like mine was.
My dad had guns stolen circa 1969. A year before I came along. He has been mad about that since I have been alive. Among the lost was a m1 garand with family history and a browning that would be worth a pretty penny today. And a tommy.
I either lost or misplaced a family heirloom as well. A youth knife brought back from france. But no stolen guns in my ledger yet.

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 · (Edited)
“Your back door neighbor” ? You might want to rephrase that.
I certainly wish I’d have waited to sell a few. Prices were sky high for a time, especially if you had ammo to go with them. I regret not buying a few when they were available a lot more than anything I’ve sold.
I guess that could be taken wrong, but "the ex coworker/neighbor that owns the land adjacent my property line furthest from my road frontage" seemed too wordy.

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
I have bought and sold over 340 firearms during my lifetime . I keep all the records on a 'flash drive" etc so it is easy to know exactly what I own and what I have owned. In the last 10 yrs I have sold over 136 different firearms. I have sold 62 "longarms" rifles and shotguns and 74 pistols/revolvers. Oh well. I like to try different things and then sell them and move to something else. It helps keep the cost down and i wouldn't have the room for them all anyway! Current stock is 35 longarms and 29 pistols! I need to thin this out!
I know many folks like you, and that is great! A few family members are like that, and friends. I don't know why, I just like having my small collection and not too much variety. Never buy a mechanics car kinda thing? idk but it is cool to get everyone's input on the subject. Highlights one of those things. Stereotypes are rarely accurate as we are all different!

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #87 · (Edited)
I can tell you three simple reasons to go Glock. First, the gun is like the AK-47. It's built tough as shit and will go bang under almost any conditions and still be accurate. It ain't pretty but, it's functional as all get out. Second, the aftermarket possibilities for a Glock are HUGE. Especially compared to the Ruger American, S&W M&P, and especially the Beretta's. Third, magazine compatibility with different firearms is phenomenal. Shoot, even Ruger took note of that when they built the PCC. You get a Glock 26 and it will take it's own mag, the 15rd mag of the Glock 19, the 17rd mag of the Glock 17, the 33rd mag, and even the 50rd drum mag from Magpul. Speaking of Magpul, Glock is the only handgun they offer a magazine for. And magazines for Glocks are cheap to purchase as well.

Lastly, Beretta? Better than a Glock? It's barely better than a HiPoint. The Ruger American might be better. I dunno. Haven't shot one yet. But with such a small aftermarket and magazines being made only by Ruger and thus being expensive as all get out as a result. I think the Glock wins out overall. Just my .02 worth. Now, don't get me wrong, I loved my Ruger SR9C. I wish I still had it. Very sweet trigger. Thinner than a Glock 19 which I wasn't aware of. Nor did I realize how big a difference it would be to me in an IWB. It felt better in my hand than my Glocks do. Glocks aren't the end all be all.

Seriously though, a Beretta? Really?
I put more lead, closer to the bull, faster than he has after a 6 year long running friendly competition. Now I could be mean and suggest to him that I am simply a superior marksman, but that's not how I roll. Got nothing against glocks in all seriousness, but my 92's have been with me through hell and I still like the design. The American is very glockish. striker fired. but with an optic. Have shot my best handgun groups I ever shot with it. but I just still feel more comfy with highpointish 92fs. I recently again tried to get rid of my berettas, and again got all sweaty and may have broken out in hives!
what you see is what you get! love the name.
glockish:
Air gun Trigger Sleeve Gun barrel Gun accessory

comfy:
Tool Wood Knife Hunting knife Engineering

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #89 ·
That is a tough looking Ruger for sure. I haven't yet tried the MOS sights on a handgun yet. Very nice indeed. As for the Beretta it's specifically the 92FS that I don't care for. I don't like that big open port in the slide. Every time I see one I think about how easy dust, dirt and debri could get in and either make the slide sticky or jam all together. I heard they performed crappily over there in the deserts with the military M9. With that said, it's not me shooting it and owning it. It's you. You obviously have a good history with it. That's awesome. Congrats.
Just the gun, not the company. The open slide actually makes it tough to stop, believe it or not. In the sandbox standard mags suffered. Many don't like them, many do. All valid reasons on both sides! Nic plated mags helped in the sandbox

· Registered
4,649 Posts
Discussion Starter · #95 ·
Well I have to update this thread. I bought back the dpms oracle, and traded a Ruger American Competition model for a like new S&W mp15.
I do not think I will miss the American. It was an excellent sidearm, but it was a striker fire, and me and strikers have never mixed well. 100% me. The strikers are fine. I am just an old dog in some ways.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts