Ruger Forum banner

Do you ever miss a gun?

8K views 120 replies 75 participants last post by  Hoopharted 
#1 · (Edited)
I have said that I have sold a grand total of 1 gun in my life. And it is true. Not even a pellet gun, just 1 dpms oracle I had customized a little. I sold it to my ex coworker/neighbor that owns the land adjacent my property line furthest from my road frontage, stripped back down to factory except for an m16 pattern bolt.
Anyway I missed the thing. I had replaced it with the pcc 9 and kept my 20" wylde.
Now, neighbor says I can buy it back. He is trying to fund a new glock. He is a glock fan, I am not. We are still friends, but its tough on him because my Ruger American is such a superior weapon than his glocks. Even my Beretta is a superior weapon and it saddens him. But I guess there is some new super glock he wants.
I sold the panther to justify my pcc to my wife for 250. Now I can buy it back for 350. I currently have 1 extra optic, a cheap crimson trace I got free with the purchase of my rad pro. Idk. It is a fine ar, nothing special, lighter than my colt and 20", lighter than the pcc.
I think I will reclaim it. Sold jan 2019 for 250 rebought nov 2022 for 350. As long as I tell the wife its way cheaper than a new ar in todays world she might not scalp me. Found pic in phone from when I stripped it back down for him. Is there a rule about buying a gun back?? I had given him 4 gen 3 mags too...I don't think I get those back. I know he at least put 60 rounds down the pipe.
Automotive tire Shotgun Armrest Personal protective equipment Chair

See less See more
#6 ·
Superior is, of course, subjective. In this case measured by most lead, fastest, closest to center, field stripped, cleaned, reassembled and back on target fastest, with fewest failures. And.... purdiest :ROFLMAO:
(I am joking of course, we both have excellent weapons, I just like picking on glock fans cause they react so intensly)

#3 ·
Only guns I've missed were ones I saw at LGS, waited and thought it over while someone else bought them....one especially nice deal disappeared in 20 minutes. Interarms stainless .32 PPK with 4 factory mags for $500. That was years back but I've never forgotten it.

Any I've sold, I was sure I wouldn't miss.

#4 ·
The only gun I really miss is my T/C Encore with the 30-06, 22-250, and rifled 20 ga. barrels. Sold it to reduce my inventory. It was handy having 3 in one.

Since I still have a Savage 110 in 30-06 and a 22-250 barrel for my Savage 11, I am still covered for those two calibers. As for the 20 ga. rifled barrel, Maryland now allows using straight-wall rifle cartridges in what used to be shotgun only counties, so now I can use my .44 mag. SBH and Henry rifle. The 20 ga. isn't needed.

#7 ·
I do miss guns. Our guns are a part of us. Every gun I have let go has been because I needed the money at the time and the decision to let them go was the right decision at the time and the guns were what made the most sense at the time. However, I wish so much that I had the Browning BPS I got when I was 18 back, I wish I had that CZ 452, and I really wish I would have the Remington 700 in .308 that was my father’s back. Again, it made the most sense at the time, but I wish that was back and would hope that if I still had it, i wouldn’t have sent to to a gunsmith to turn into something different.

#9 ·
I have bought and sold hundreds of guns since my first purchase in 1962 from the Sears catalog. I spent twenty-two years in the military living in several different states and countries.

My careers after the military also included moves from one coast to the other. I have lived in multiple cities in twelve different states and two countries. I have lived in eight different cities in California from San Diego to San Francisco.

I sold a large safe and all of the contents and all of the ammo to one person when I moved across country. I kept a 1911 for myself and an S&W 357 magnum for my wife.

I have owned the same model guns several times. I have owned a Ruger Blackhawk and surplus M1 Carbine in 30 Carbine caliber three different times so far.

#11 ·
I miss these:
  • Colt Delta Elite blued
  • Winchester 101
  • Remington 1100 (My first multi-shot shotgun)
  • Browning BL22
  • Original .45 Vaquero 5.5" blued
  • GP100 6" SS
  • Kahr P40
  • NIB Colt Cobra (Was my Grandad's, father sold it before asking me)
  • Browning Citori
All sold or traded for important things at the time, stupid things looking back......:rolleyes:

#15 ·
I've sold several guns that no longer fit the niche they were acquired for, or were replaced by something else that fit it better.
The only one I REALLY missed was my first handgun. Back in 2000, I bought a Kimber Custom Stainless for $770. Most accurate production 1911 I've ever shot. Reliable for me and any shooter with some experience. I had one shooter experience 2 failures that I put on him. Fast forward to 2012. I was moving (down sizing) and needed money to fund the move. I had not shot the gun in 3 years; my dad moved away, the friends I shot with all went one way or another. Bottom line is I thought, at the time, I needed the money more than the gun. I sold it to a friend for $550. When I wanted to get back into shooting, I tried as hard as I could to buy it back from him, but it was a no go.

Good news is that I now have a Ruger SR1911 with all the same features as that Kimber, plus a 70 series firing control (no trigger block). It might not be quite as accurate, but it certainly is as reliable and fun to shoot.

#18 ·
I have said that I have sold a grand total of 1 gun in my life. And it is true. Not even a pellet gun, just 1 dpms oracle I had customized a little. I sold it to my back door neighbor stripped back down to factory except for an m16 pattern bolt.
Anyway I missed the thing. I had replaced it with the pcc 9 and kept my 20" wylde.
Now, neighbor says I can buy it back. He is trying to fund a new glock. He is a glock fan, I am not. We are still friends, but its tough on him because my Ruger American is such a superior weapon than his glocks. Even my Beretta is a superior weapon and it saddens him. But I guess there is some new super glock he wants.
I sold the panther to justify my pcc to my wife for 250. Now I can buy it back for 350. I currently have 1 extra optic, a cheap crimson trace I got free with the purchase of my rad pro. Idk. It is a fine ar, nothing special, lighter than my colt and 20", lighter than the pcc.
I think I will reclaim it. Sold jan 2019 for 250 rebought nov 2022 for 350. As long as I tell the wife its way cheaper than a new ar in todays world she might not scalp me. Found pic in phone from when I stripped it back down for him. Is there a rule about buying a gun back?? I had given him 4 gen 3 mags too...I don't think I get those back. I know he at least put 60 rounds down the pipe. View attachment 181290
You're doing well to buy it back for $350. No comment on the permission needed. I own the Same DPMS, but in the LR 308 model and I love it. The only gun I wish I had back wasn't sold but stolen. My 1st CF Hunting Rifle based on an Arisaka 99 rebarreled to 7mm Express Remington (280 Rem), on a Monte Carlo Stock

#27 ·
Oh yeah! I have a list...

Shotguns, only one here.
Churchill Fly weight 20ga. SxS. What a beautiful and light gun that was!

Quite a few rifles.
FN post war Standard model Mauser 98 in .30/06
Mint Enfield #4 MkI
Mint 1909 Argentine Mauser
FN 49 sniper in .30/06
Remington U.S.1917
Interarms MkX Mauser sporting rifle in 7mm Mauser.
1895 Krag cavalry carbine
Remington 513T .22
Marlin M39A
Pre WWI Mauser Model B 8mm Mauser

Revolvers
4'' S&W M28 .357Magnum
U.S. 1917 S&W
8 3/8'' S&W K-22
Ruger old Model Super Blackhawk .44Magnum
7 1/2'' Colt SAA .44spl.
Mint 6'' Colt Police Positive Special, 1928

Self loading pistols
1st year production (1928) Colt Super .38 with pre-war .22 conversion unit. Looked like it was dragged through the Amazon by a string for a couple of years, but it was a still a great shooter and I love the .38 Super.
Beretta M-70s .22lr.
Taurus/Beretta M-92 My opinion better built than the Italian model.

#28 · (Edited)
Oh yeah! I have a list...

Shotguns, only one here.
Churchill Fly weight 20ga. SxS. What a beautiful and light gun that was!

Quite a few rifles.
FN post war Standard model Mauser 98 in .30/06
Mint Enfield #4 MkI
Mint 1909 Argentine Mauser
FN 49 sniper in .30/06
Remington U.S.1917
Interarms MkX Mauser sporting rifle in 7mm Mauser.
1895 Krag cavalry carbine
Remington 513T .22
Marlin M39A
Pre WWI Mauser Model B 8mm Mauser

Revolvers
4'' S&W M28 .357Magnum
U.S. 1917 S&W
8 3/8'' S&W K-22
Ruger old Model Super Blackhawk .44Magnum
7 1/2'' Colt SAA .44spl.
Mint 6'' Colt Police Positive Special, 1928

Self loading pistols
1st year production (1928) Colt Super .38 with pre-war .22 conversion unit. Looked like it was dragged through the Amazon by a string for a couple of years, but it was a still a great shooter and I love the .38 Super.
Beretta M-70s .22lr.
Taurus/Beretta M-92 My opinion better built than the Italian model.
Wow, the 1928 colt super .38 with a pre war .22 conversion kit, that is a weapon that ANYONE would miss! I bet it had a story to tell before you got it or sold it!

#40 ·
I always managed to find "extra" funds when I was younger, which kept my collection in tact and off the auction block. That being said, as I got into my 50s I've started to sell and trade a few. There have been some that I got in trades or multi gun deals that don't stir any emotion and just lounge around in the back of the safe. They have been finding new homes where they will be appreciated and used.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.