Ruger Forum banner

What is your body position when reloading?

• Sitting, chair

Votes: 55 32.7%
  • Sitting, stool

Votes: 52 31.0%
  • Standing

Votes: 46 27.4%
  • Other

Votes: 15 8.9%
1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My press is mounted at standard desk height, and I sit in a side chair to load. I would imagine others are mounted on higher benches where a shop stool might be more appropriate. I'd imagine others stand. Just curious.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Sitting, but gives me a bad back after a while.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
My current benches are set up to load sitting. I stand at a work bench all day when I'm not working on the road - I have my work computer set up on one of my Gunsmithing benches, so I'm on my feet all day for work, and for pleasure building guns.

On the other hand, I almost exclusively stand while I'm doing case trimming and debur and chamfering, even though my bench is low enough I could sit while doing so. I guess it's just a matter of habit.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Evening 64Chevy;

Sitting for the actual finished reloading but standing for case trimming (I have multiple trimmers mounted on a support pillar in my shop) & standing for initial de-priming (before tossing into my citric acid bath).

I have 3 loading presses set up on my main loading bench & 2 single stage set up at my standing height bench plus a thick steel block (with a 5 gallon bucket under a hole in it) for de-priming with a punch & hammer (very quick way for me to de-prime a days shooting brass)

I also weigh bulk cases & bulk bullets while standing as I have a large granite block at the end of my standing bench that I use for my precision height gauges. That granite block really settles an electronic scale down when moving around & weighing multiple items in a hurry.

Plus I have an old shop cat that usually sleeps in my sitting chair & if I disturb him he retaliates by knocking my cases over (that little devil is quick)

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
I do both standing and sitting, as I have 2 metallic reloading presses, That I generally sit at, and 3 shotgun reloading presses where two of them require that I stand. Not to mention my powder measure sits toward the back of the bench, which causes me to stand in order to use. My trimming tool allows me to sit.

Now my casting pot allows me to sit as do my two lube sizers. Now you know the rest of the story haha:D

·
Registered
531 Posts
I stand because the stool I have is the wrong height to sit on while at my bench. I could buy an adjustable stool, but I'm cheap and don't care that much. Maybe when I'm older.

·
Registered
294 Posts
I stand because I polish a chair with my 4th point of contact during the day.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I voted sitting stool, but actually I'm probably standing and proped on a stool.

·
Registered
1,575 Posts
While reloading... I sit in a height-adjustable swivel chair with a cheap lumbar support added to ensure good posture-- my single stage press is affixed to a low bench

I clean guns and work on guns at a higher bench while I sit on an old swiveling stool

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
I have a stool with a back support that is the right height but I find I stand more than sit.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I suppose I do both even though I placed standing in the vote. I just like to be high enough to see charges so I stand then I sit..

Thewelshm

·
Super Moderator
21,673 Posts
Three marked other, just curious what other means? I'm guessing both standing and sitting but it does feed the imagination.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,671 Posts
Bad back. I can pull the handle on my press for a good half hour before my back tells me to stop. When sitting, I don't last 10 minutes and I'm breaking out the pain pills. My reloading bench is 36" off the floor and I have my Dillon RL550 mounted on a "Strong Mount", which puts the press and handle in the best operating position for me. I'm 6'3" so a table height (30") bench just kills my back. My wife got me a nifty Ruger stool so sometimes I use it with my Rockchucker, which is mounted lower.

Terry, Maybe they reload while laying down???

·
Registered
293 Posts
Mrs.Wheeler gave me an old metal shop stool that she painted back in jr. high school...red white and blue. I made my bench to fit.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Both, at either bench. I have two benches. Both are at standard counter height. Presses are mounted directly to the one in the garage. One in the basement has a quick change Inline Fabrication Micro Ultramount. A bar stool works for sitting at either one. I couldn't have it set up one way or the other. Depends on how my back is feeling that day.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Three marked other, just curious what other means? I'm guessing both standing and sitting but it does feed the imagination.
I would imagine that's the reloaders, that have to get their industrial gauntlets out of the wood shed ,and get the missus to play the panzer commander and the milkmaid??? I could be wrong :) but possible I guess??

Thewelshm

1 - 20 of 55 Posts