Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's been 35 years now. I was 4 years old at the time and my father had taken my older brother and I camping by the lake here in Arizona.

I can recall the moment very clearly. Dad had set up some targets and was going over gun safety with us. Afterwards he called me over and stood behind me, he had me wrap my little fingers around his Ruger .44 mag with a 7 1/2 " barrel ( he was really supporting the weight) and told me to squeeze the trigger ! KABOOOM !

"Like a flash" I ran to his 1976 Ford pickup and jumped into the front seat.... I tell ya, camp fire steak and eggs didn't even lure this boy out, except for the wisdom of a father and an emergency bowl of Lucky Charms I could still be sitting there today.

GOOD TIMES ! I Love my dad.

·
Registered
180 Posts
It was several years ago but I remember as if it was yesterday.

I was a teenager and i was with my Uncle Charlie he brought over his S&W 642 air weight.38 caliber revolver after some basic instruction I loaded 5 rounds of .38 special ammo.

Lined up the sights on an old rain barrel that is on my property took a good firm grip on the revolvers grips and fired those 5 rounds.

After that I unloaded the revolver and the proceeded to shoot all of the ammo in the box all 50 rounds.

·
Registered
5,209 Posts
First time? Hey. This is a family-oriented forum. :)

Seriously, my first time shooting guns was when I was about ten years old and was an unforgettable experience.

·
Registered
2,458 Posts
I was around 10 years old. Can't remember exactly when but my dad was still in the US Army and one weekend he had to help run the base rifle range. This was in Fort Bragg by the way. My mother was making some sort of errand run and stopped to see my dad. They had a strict rule about not having kids around there and she was griped at by my dad. When they stopped arguing dad asked me to come follow him for a minute as my mom waited in the van. I had never been to a range before. And there wasn't but maybe 2-3 soldiers there. He set me up and stood behind me as he let me fire 2 shots from a benched rifle and then told me, "don't tell your mom." At 10 years old that was like a trip to Disney World. I'll never forget it.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
My Dad had homesteaded 5 acres in Morongo Valley in the 1950s.
We would travel from Van Nuys to Morongo valley almost every weekend and stayed in an old house trailer.
One day Dad got out his rifles and let us shoot the 12 ga shotgun.
I was probably 10 or 11 years old.
I held up that shotgun on target and pulled the trigger.
Boom!
I think it knocked me flat on my back and caused a huge bruise on my shoulder. ... :eek:
I stuck with the .22 rifle after that. .... :D

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was 16 or 17 (many years ago) and a friend took me out to shoot cans. He let me use his old single shot .22. I beat him first time out without a fancy scope like the one he had.

He was a good guy and didn't take it too personally.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
It's been 35 years now. I was 4 years old at the time and my father had taken my older brother and I camping by the lake here in Arizona.

I can recall the moment very clearly. Dad had set up some targets and was going over gun safety with us. Afterwards he called me over and stood behind me, he had me wrap my little fingers around his Ruger .44 mag with a 7 1/2 " barrel ( he was really supporting the weight) and told me to squeeze the trigger ! KABOOOM !

"Like a flash" I ran to his 1976 Ford pickup and jumped into the front seat.... I tell ya, camp fire steak and eggs didn't even lure this boy out, except for the wisdom of a father and an emergency bowl of Lucky Charms I could still be sitting there today.

GOOD TIMES ! I Love my dad.
So the FIRST gun your dad let you shoot was a 44 mag? What a guy........LOL!!! Wonder it didn't scare you enough to never want to handle another.......LOL!!!

For my 9th birthday, I got a Kawasaki 90cc trail bike and my own Marlin 39. Bike long junked, still have the Marlin. First thing he let me shoot on my own was a Mark I bull barrel pistol. That was probably around 7 or 8. Followed with a .410 and worked my way up. At 10 got my own Marlin 1894 in 357. Still have that one too. By 11 was loading my own ammo. By 12 had my own decent little collection of about 6 guns, including a 41 mag Blackhawk. Every Christmas and birthday was guns at our house........including my dad. Mom bought him what was on his "list"........LOL!!! After my first centerfire, the rule was "you shoot it, you load it". Of course he taught me well and watched over me at first, but by 12 I was loading with no supervision

·
Registered
553 Posts
I remember getting two BB guns for Christmas when I was about 8 or 9. Both of them made by Daisy. One in a Model 92 Winchester version and the other in a Colt Peacemaker version. I know that really doesn't count but after shooting them for a year with proper instruction and no incidents, (other than a dent in our refrigerator from a BB that my Mom caused because she tried to shoot a mouse that was in our kitchen), I graduated the next Christmas to a Savage/Stevens single shot .410 shotgun.

I was given the task of shooting any varmints around the farm that my Dad thought needed to be eliminated. Lots of ground squirrels and rats fell to that trusty .410. Also a few crows raiding our garden. Still have that shotgun. Plus a few others I've collected over the past 50 years.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes sir, really I just had my hands under his while he shot.... But I will never forget... That blackhawk had my respect... I was a little guy..... 4 years old.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My brother got a security six for his 9th b-day..... You should have seen grandma's face ! LMAO. Wow, such great memories.

·
Premium Member
3,186 Posts
My first time was 1955. I turned eight that year and my grandmother let me shoot the family .22 single shot Winchester with shorts in it. I had been shooting my BB Red Rider at anything that moved except for her chickens. I sometimes shot the mean old rooster because he always chased us when we went to the outhouse. I was careful never to shoot him in the head because I did not want to get in trouble with my grandmother. That old bugger would chase us along the yard fence on the outside as we ran along on the inside. He finally flogged my little brother and brought the blood one day. He was in the pot for supper that night. Spent my first ten summers at my grandparents farm and sure do miss them and those summers now.

I still have the .22 and their old Stevens .410 single shot with the busted/repaired with black tape stock. I also had grand dad's .38-40 till my mother's boyfriend (may he rest in hell) stole it after my dad died. I have no idea where it is now.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was about 7 years old and I went with my mom and dad target shooting, I had my Mattel pistols with the greenie stickem caps! My dad helped me shoot his 1957 Ruger .44 mag.! no comparison to the Mattel pistols :eek::D
Great times, sure miss Dad, he made it till his 90th + 1 month birthday! (1924-2014 RIP) I still have that Ruger!

·
Banned
365 Posts
Remember it well. It was my 12th birthday. Old abandoned gravel pit in Oregon, and a Remington 512 22lr to start with. Learned that I was left eye dominant, then shot it left handed with the next loading of rounds. Too danged accurate, and beat the old man in an accuracy contest. He blamed youth and better eyes, but I knew better. Then he brought out the Smith and Wesson Model 19 .357 Magnum. It took a few rounds, but I got good with that quickly. He again let me beat him in an accuracy contest. Great time.

·
Registered
971 Posts
I was maybe 8 years old and my father took me hunting for small game. He had his 12 gauge double barrel, but let me shoot his .38 Colt snubby and thus started a life long love affair with firearms. That was 60 plus years ago. Thanks Dad.

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
1974 high standard griswold and gunnison copy of a confederate 36 caliber blackpowder revolver. 25 grains 3 f goex powder over a round ball sealed with crisco.

·
Registered
224 Posts
It was 1967 and we lived in the city, my dad owned a small tenement building. The Detroit riots happened that summer, and dad came home from work early and we packed our bags and split. He had been building a house out in the suburbs that was far from done, bet we camped out in it until completion. Then the news came that the black panthers were to be raiding the suburbs, so dad got a weatherby .22 with a scope and tought the family how to load and shoot. Exciting times for sure ! After that, every year when we took our vacation to my grandparents farm in Wisconsin, it was all about shooting from the time we arrived till the day we left. I couldnt get enough of it.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
I was about 7 first time I pulled a trigger. Probably about 1973. My Dad & Uncle took my & my older brother small game hunting. I went with my Uncle. We had the old family 16 gauge single shot that to this day is still on the farm.
We seen a gray squirrel and he went up a hollow beech tree. We sat down and waited. uncle sat me on his lap, put the butt in his shoulder and had me put my arm over the shotgun. He said when I seen the squirrels head, pull the trigger. Thats what I did. It totally blowed his head clean off.
We all went hunting with Dad & Uncles from the time I can remember.
I got a brand new Glenfield model 20, 22lr for Christmas when I was 10 years old. My brothers and I all were hunting by ourselves at age 10.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,335 Posts
I was 44 years old then, Father's Day 2012, when I received a gun range gift card from my wife. I didn't own any guns at the time, just bingewatching the "reality" tv show Gunsmoke.
A few weeks later, we went to use it. I was clueless except that I wanted to rent a 9mm pistol and shoot 100 rounds of ammo. I asked the range staff for his recommended handgun and he gave me two Glocks.
So, finally I get to shoot a handgun! I had fun but went home without any desire to buy a Block.
The following year, I bought my first gun and became a member of the NRA.

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
I was 5 and my best friends had "boys" model 67 Winchester .22s which we shot at their grandfathers ranch, got mine the next year . They scared the devil out of me the year before with cap guns.

Had dinner with the surviving brother Saturday night!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts