• No! Never smoked anything, ever!

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • No, I quit smoking.

Votes: 19 26.0%
  • Yes, I've tried them.

Votes: 10 13.7%
  • Yes, I have one occasionally.

Votes: 18 24.7%
  • Yes! I love the smell and taste of a fine cigar!

Votes: 17 23.3%
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, how many of you out there are like me and enjoy a good cigar? How long have you been smoking them? Do you smoke anything else (preferably legal in most states :p)? Or maybe you are like I was until I was 26 and never smoked anything in your life. Do you smoke around others? What's your favorite brand? Size? Color.... light brown, medium brown, dark brown, just about black. Do you intend to quit? If so, why?

That should get things going. For some reason it seems that cigars, guns and Harleys all go together somehow.

What do you think?

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
So, how many of you out there are like me and enjoy a good cigar? How long have you been smoking them? Do you smoke anything else (preferably legal in most states :p)? Or maybe you are like I was until I was 26 and never smoked anything in your life. Do you smoke around others? What's your favorite brand? Size? Color.... light brown, medium brown, dark brown, just about black. Do you intend to quit? If so, why?

That should get things going. For some reason it seems that cigars, guns and Harleys all go together somehow.

What do you think?
I don't smoke but if I'm downwind from someone smoking a good cigar I sometimes will enjoy it secondhand. If its a bad cigar I cuss at them. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
I quit smoking cigarettes 3+ years ago, but still allow myself the occasional cigar.

·
Registered
129 Posts
After a good day or after a bad day, I'm either rejoicing in a victory or licking my wounds planning a come-back. To clarifying my thinking in either situation I call upon a La Gloria Cubana, natural in the 7" length and 52"ring to settle me down and bring composure and clarification.

Doesn't always work, but it works more often than not.

Other than those situations, I don't smoke.

·
Just minding my business
376 Posts
I used to enjoy smoking cigars and pipes until about 10 years ago. I came to the realization that I could not have my kids watch me sit and light up and then tell them not to start smoking. To this day when I smell a good cigar or pipe tobacco burning I start salivating, but so far have resisted.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Gurkhas ...........

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
When I did smoke, I did smoke them ocassionally.
Smoked a pipe for a few years prior to giving up.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I don't smoke but if I'm downwind from someone smoking a good cigar I sometimes will enjoy it secondhand. If its a bad cigar I cuss at them. :D
I know what you mean. I was that way for years, but then I used to smoke cigarettes. My wife wanted to smart smoking shortly after we were married. I told her if you smoke, I'm going to smoke, thinking that this would surely stop her since she knew my extreme anti-smoking stance.

After pondering my ultimatum for at least a second, she said, OK. And we walked down to 7/11 to buy a pack of Marlboro reds.

I didn't find out until later that the reason she wanted to smoke was that she was having an affair with her boss, who smoked... wait for it...

You guessed it! Marlboro reds!

You may think I was stupid for starting, but realize I stayed married to her for 16 more years, 4 kids and about 8 affairs. So, if you're going to call me stupid, do it for something that really counts! :eek:

But cigars were my own idea. I started a couple of years ago after having quit cigarettes in '96. It relaxes me and isn't addicting. I've had several stays in the hospital where I can't smoke and I don't go through withdrawals at all. I do stay hungry 24/7, though! :eek:

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I enjoy a good cigar and love to enjoy one with a good bourbon.
A friend of mine smokes about 1 a day and does it with a glass of Scotch.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
After a good day or after a bad day, I'm either rejoicing in a victory or licking my wounds planning a come-back. To clarifying my thinking in either situation I call upon a La Gloria Cubana, natural in the 7" length and 52"ring to settle me down and bring composure and clarification.

So... what you're saying is you only smoke on good or bad days? :D

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I used to enjoy smoking cigars and pipes until about 10 years ago. I came to the realization that I could not have my kids watch me sit and light up and then tell them not to start smoking. To this day when I smell a good cigar or pipe tobacco burning I start salivating, but so far have resisted.
Yeah, I regret that. I smoked before my kids were grown. Both my daughters started smoking, but the older one quit after getting pregnant. The younger quit while she was pregnant, but started again. Neither of my boys smoke cigarettes but when we get together we'll all have a cigar together.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I smoke El Coloso's from the Domincan Republic. They're Macanudo knockoffs and pretty darn good. They're $39.99 for a brick of 16 at Cigar Warehouse here in Phoenix. They're about a 6 ring and 6" long. Good smoke, nice draw (generally) and pretty well wrapped.

For treats, I'll pick up a few Acid's, usually Kuba Kuba, Roam or 1400's. They're a flavored cigar, but taste excellent! I've got to be in the mood for one. I'll usually try and keep a couple on hand for special occasions.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Once in a blue moon I will have a cigar. The weather has to be nice and I have to feel like I got something accomplished before lighting up. A little bourbon on the rocks heightens the experience.

My cigar of choice is the Ashton Magnum, robusto size, 5"x50 ring gauge. It seems like I can never spare the hour it takes to smoke a larger Churchill size stogie.

I will smoke outside only, by myself or with friends, or around the wife. I do not smoke cigarettes and never have.

·
Liberty or Death
2,569 Posts
Once in a blue moon I will have a cigar. The weather has to be nice and I have to feel like I got something accomplished before lighting up. A little bourbon on the rocks heightens the experience.

My cigar of choice is the Ashton Magnum, robusto size, 5"x50 ring gauge. It seems like I can never spare the hour it takes to smoke a larger Churchill size stogie.

I will smoke outside only, by myself or with friends, or around the wife. I do not smoke cigarettes and never have.

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Yes, it's one of my few vices. I normally have 2-3 cigars a month, sometimes a few more during football season. I have a humidor full of very nice cigars and absolutely enjoy a well aged cuban on occasion.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
I enjoy a good cigar and love to enjoy one with a good bourbon.
Plus one to that .....a good cigar and a bourbon ....nice ....gave up cigarettes seven years ago ,but i do have perhaps a couple of cigars per month.
A bourbon and a quality cigar around a fire on a hunting trip or on the deck in the evening with some good friends....does it get any better??.;)

·
Skeptical of Everything
3,655 Posts
I enjoy a fine hand rolled cigar now and then. Used to smoke every day and was a regular at the local cigar shop ... also worked pipes into the mix. Right now my humidor is empty ... but I do have about a dozen tins of pipe tobacco that are over 12 years old. Maybe I'll fire up a bowl tomorrow.

A box of Avo Domaines sounds pretty good to me right now.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
i used to smoke both cigars and a pipe, and for a brief period smoked some cigarettes, too. smoked a quality cuban up in canada a few years back, but can't honestly say it was better than good cigars i can get here. my favorites when i still smoked were nat sherman's. quit all of them after a particularly big row with my fiancee who is very anti. i still like the smell of pipe and cigar smoke, but last few times i actually smoked one i had grown averse enough that i couldn't stand the taste in my mouth. really enjoyed them at the time, but don't miss it much. now i'd say i'm probably inclined to get a good cigar maybe once every year or two (but still come up against that taste thing).

·
Registered
5,349 Posts

bogie, do you ever read p.g. wodehouse? some of your descriptions sound almost like something he'd write.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts