Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Do you store your gun racked with tension on the trigger spring, or do you dry fire it to release for storage?

Thanks!

(Sorry this had to be moved. I am still figuring out the sub forums. I don't want to make more work for the mods...)

·
Registered
659 Posts
welcome to the forum from the suncoast of Fl. no matter how long I store my firearms I always release tension from the firing pin spring,just a good habit to get into,just in case you wind up leaving them for a long time.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
+1 above and welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Not disputing the advise given, but I've never followed this procedure. HD and CCW are always cocked and locked and I have stored pump guns and a few automatics for many, many years with no ill effects. If it makes you feel good, definatly do so. It sure won't cause any harm.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Not disputing the advise given, but I've never followed this procedure. HD and CCW are always cocked and locked and I have stored pump guns and a few automatics for many, many years with no ill effects. If it makes you feel good, definatly do so. It sure won't cause any harm.
+1 to that!

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Springs do not care if they are stored in the relaxed state or compressed state. The only thing that wears them is their being exercised. In other words they will not wear out if stored holding their kinetic energy any sooner than if they are stored in their neutral state. They will only be worn out by constant release of their stored energy.

I store most guns in the ready state, depending of course on where it is stored and for what purpose. I also store most magazines full. Been doing this since the early '70s never had a problem. The only spring I ever had break on me was the hammer leaf spring on a Winchester 1890 .22 short built in 1918. This was my fault for adjusting it too tight.

I have worked in industry all my life and springs are used in all automated equipment. They are only replaced after x number of cycles, never based on how old it is or in what state it is stored.

This is why 1911 and other semi-auto owners may find recommendations to replace springs after a specified number of rounds shot, not age of the gun or magazine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I only have two guns right now, so they are always stored ready for use.....

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for both the welcome and the answers.

I am BRAND new to handguns, so being able to ask simple questions like this makes the experience both more enjoyable and more confidence inspiring.

Have a great Tuesday!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I have worked in the auto industry, rebuilding transmissions for over 30 years and one automatic transmissions can use hundreds of springs of many types. I agree with dV8r springs don't care what state there stored in. I have seen broken springs in new parts with a few miles on them to no broken springs with 300,000 miles on them.
My CCW weapon is loaded and ready always with a full mag and has been since the day I bought it. But for some reason when I clean and put away my "everyday shooting guns" I always drop the hammer and empty the mags , just habit I guess .

·
Registered
385 Posts
(Go Vols) This question and it's ensuing discusiion goes on and on. All of my auto loaders and pumps have their springs relaxed UNLESS I'm carrying them or there's a threat. My primary HD guns are revolvers and a 20 ga pump. The pump is loaded but not a round in the chamber but one quick rack is all it takes. I also rotate the magazines of my G-19, SR9C and Mini-4 every month because I think springs will wear out faster when under tension than relaxed. Look at long term vehicle storage: It's recommended to put it up on blocks to keep the springs from wearing out. Other people think like me as well including that guy named Ayoob something or other.
I have been doing this type of interchange since the 60's and I too have never had a problem. As I hinted to in the beginning, it causes allot of discussion.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad I had a question that others have had over the years as well.

And it's not a great year to be a Vol, unfortunately. We may have a new coach in the not too distant future. Whether that changes our On Field play is still up for debate.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Glad I had a question that others have had over the years as well.

And it's not a great year to be a Vol, unfortunately. We may have a new coach in the not too distant future. Whether that changes our On Field play is still up for debate.
No problem, I asked this question too because I was wondering what others thought.
I used to live in West Knoxville (Concord) but moved to Florida 20 years ago. That was back during the Johnny Majors/Phil Fulmer days. I moved my SEC allegiance to the Gators too but the Vols will always be my #1. The Vols are due for a good season and I thought this year would be better than it is. Don't know about a new coach but I too am getting impatient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
No problem, I asked this question too because I was wondering what others thought.
I used to live in West Knoxville (Concord) but moved to Florida 20 years ago. That was back during the Johnny Majors/Phil Fulmer days. I moved my SEC allegiance to the Gators too but the Vols will always be my #1. The Vols are due for a good season and I thought this year would be better than it is. Don't know about a new coach but I too am getting impatient.
Right up the road off Cedar Bluff is where I am.

Glad you stayed with an SEC team :D

·
Banned
4,290 Posts
Springs do not care if they are stored in the relaxed state or compressed state. The only thing that wears them is their being exercised. In other words they will not wear out if stored holding their kinetic energy any sooner than if they are stored in their neutral state. They will only be worn out by constant release of their stored energy. - - - Snip - - - (bold underline added.)
Yes, lots of discussions have ensued over this question and everyone has their own preference of storing their firearms. However, in terms of the "scientifically" correct answer, dV8r has it exactly right. :)

Having said that, I do release "pressure" when storing but, any self defense gun remains loaded with a round in the chamber and, if single action, "cocked and locked". It will NOT wear out your magazine spring nor any springs in your firearm.

·
Registered
642 Posts
More likely the reason cars are stored on blocks is to get the tires off the concrete. Concrete is hard on them as is the ground after a prolonged period.

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
Not all springs are the same. Some are designed to hold weight, some are designed to cushion a movement and some are designed to make an action. Most gun springs are action springs and can be stored in either position. Load spring will compress over time if stored heavy. Cushion springs are somewhere in the middle.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
I appreciate getting information from the more experienced members of the forum. Thanks guys

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
No tension, that's how it leaves the range, that's how it stays.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts