Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have deer in our yard and orchard here in So Indiana. Mainly Does and fawns most of the year, but as we approach the Rut and deer-season, the Bucks start showing up.
We put two cameras up to try to get some idea of what happens when we aren't looking on our own property and yesterday we got our first results.
No Bucks, yet...but the Does are looking well fed compared to their mid-Summer appearance. Note the times on the photos. The group came back to our strawberry bed and the Persimmon trees at about 2 hour intervals.

Wife and I both have the basic deer permits that allow one buck and two does per hunter...just waiting for opening day !

·
Registered
261 Posts
I haven't used them for hunting but want to use them when I camp to see what visits during the night. We seem to have a bear in camp at night at least once a year and would really like to see how big and how many...
Darrell

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
My hunting buddies and I all use game cameras. The little Bushnell serves me well and has single and video as well as IR for night shots.

I like the info provided by your camera: temperature, moon phase, date and time. My camera recording information has allowed me or determine feral pigs are visiting my feeder between 11pm and 1am after shooting a nice boar at sunrise. They have apparently gone totally nocturnal. Smart critters. Guess I will have to stay up late with spotlight after deer season.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Just got one ....i have resisted the temptation for years but hey gotta move with the times at some point ...will post on it after i field test it shortly.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
I want one as well.
Lot of other things I want as well.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Nope - I have to deal with public land. Had a tree stand stolen, no use putting out pretty little cameras.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
We have deer in our yard and orchard here in So Indiana. Mainly Does and fawns most of the year, but as we approach the Rut and deer-season, the Bucks start showing up.
We put two cameras up to try to get some idea of what happens when we aren't looking on our own property and yesterday we got our first results.
I do not hunt but have thought of putting up a camera similar to that. We live in the woods and there are all sorts of animals roaming around at night.

What camera make/model is that? The images look nice and clear - unlike my security cameras around the house.

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
I have 2 brothers who do that...and they have them sent to their cell phones everytime one takes a photo! The funny part is...after spending all that money...they are never there when the deer are!!! They are both MD's...so they work a lot of hours and call / rotation!

I'm old school...sitting in a deer stand...waiting for my turn!

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
WV DAVE- They are MOULTRIES Model is DX-50. I got them on Ebay from an AZ distributor, but saw the same model in the Bass Pro Shop for roughly the same money ($65 ea) includes shipping/no tax. I had a bunch of memory cards (SD 4GB) so I did not have to buy more (one per camera) They take 6 "C" cells each, so we did buy a box of batteries for about $20 at Costco to get us up and running.

Yesterday evenng We saw "the" 10 point Buck that has been in the area for awhile, but have yet to capture his image on the cameras.
AL

·
Registered
48 Posts
I would use one, but I hunt on public lands and don't want to take the chance on getting a camera stolen. My brother set one up on the property next to him just to see what was moving through the area though. So far all he's taken pictures of are a couple does.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Check out our visitors this morning. Time is off by an hour--Cameras are on DST.

Now they just have to keep coming back for 10 days...Nov 17 is Opening day for guns.

·
Super Moderator
22,046 Posts
They are chasing hard here right now with the really cold weather. Supposed to warm up some and they are saying maybe 70 by Monday. It's snowing here right now.

I haven't used the cameras but looks like they work well.

Mayor Al: As long as the ladies keep showing up so will he. Thats is a nice looking buck.

bustedknee: Nice 9 point.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
I don't use them to hunt, but I do use them to catch people hunting on our property. Amazing at the people that think they can just hunt anywhere they want to, ignoring the NO TRESSPASSING NO HUNTING signs. Last year I removed three tree stands, two feeders and one game camera. When I get a few more I going to open a store.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Wife took a good sized doe from the deck Saturday night. Ruger 44 magnum with SJSP MagTech 240 gr ammo. Distance about 60 yards We did the processing and packaging of the meat ourselves. That's a lot more work for an old guy to do these days...but it is done. One less doe in the camera shots now.
Here is wife working on the hanging doe.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Hey Mayor Al ,i know this an old thread,but i just stumbled on it nice work Mrs Al well done....Back straps on the Barbi ??.,chutney,salad, and fresh bread rolls,washed down with a good Ale and a hunting tale to boot ...;):).

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Kiwi. We appreciate the feedback. Wife is excited about improving her shooting skills for next year. She is comparing her Ruger semi-auto 44 mag with my Bolt Action Model 77/44, and is finding she likes the 'feel' of the 77/44 better than the semi-auto...It is one of the tube-mag oldr models. She likes the detachable mags of the 77/44.
I just got a Scout 308 Ruger as my prime rifle...taking the place of my Winchester Model 100 that has been my choice for 20 years. I have a lot to learn about the Ruger 308, but it shoots great.

Wife did a large Venison roast as Saurbraten a few days ago. It was fork tender and did very well as the main dish for a large family dinner.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I bought one a couple seasons ago and after a month of seeing nothing but weeds (wind movement triggering the camera) someone stole it! I went so far as to remove the guts and screw it to the tree with SS screws and fender washers! The perp just ripped it off the tree leaving most of the back still screwed to the tree!:mad:
I didn't bother replacing it.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
I bought one a couple seasons ago and after a month of seeing nothing but weeds (wind movement triggering the camera) someone stole it! I went so far as to remove the guts and screw it to the tree with SS screws and fender washers! The perp just ripped it off the tree leaving most of the back still screwed to the tree!:mad:
I didn't bother replacing it.
Yep thats there main drawback the two legged animals of the thieving variety.

·
Banned
4,779 Posts
Thanks Kiwi. We appreciate the feedback. Wife is excited about improving her shooting skills for next year. She is comparing her Ruger semi-auto 44 mag with my Bolt Action Model 77/44, and is finding she likes the 'feel' of the 77/44 better than the semi-auto...It is one of the tube-mag oldr models. She likes the detachable mags of the 77/44.
I just got a Scout 308 Ruger as my prime rifle...taking the place of my Winchester Model 100 that has been my choice for 20 years. I have a lot to learn about the Ruger 308, but it shoots great.

Wife did a large Venison roast as Saurbraten a few days ago. It was fork tender and did very well as the main dish for a large family dinner.
Your Welcome Al,always nice to hear about a successful hunt ....shooting deer from the porch....OUTSTANDING.
Yeah i have had a .44 Deerfield carbine and an M77 in .44 ....the Deerfield i sold a while back whilst wheeling and dealing (i might add i regret it to this day) I also sold my M77/44 on a trade on a Browning x-bolt in 7mm08.The .44s are great but some of the areas i was hunting i needed "more legs"....but the little M77/44s are sweet little point and carry rigs and if the situation called for it i would love another one day.Heres a pic of a fallow spiker taken with the M77/44.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts