Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like scopes on guns used for long distant shooting and target shooting, but I like open sights on brush guns for quick shots. I have a scope on my 30/06 and a open sight Winchester Lever Action for my brush gun.

·
Registered
3,580 Posts
I have scopes on all my rifles with the exception of a lever action Rossi in .45 Colt. Even my muzzleloaders have scopes. I just cant stand a scope on a lever action though. Ruins the looks.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
XS BIG Dot---haven't seen a rear sight in years---bifocularly speaking---put the dot where you want the hole and ssssssssssqqqqqqqquuuuuuuuuueeeeeeezzzzzzzeeeeeeeeee....and hope.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have a Ghost site on my 6" GP 100, Red Dot on my Mark III Slab barrel target , scopes on everything else except one blackpowder rifle........old eyes.......

·
Registered
43 Posts
Around here my longest shot is within 100yrds on dog to deer sized critters. I don't use a scope on a day to day basis. However, when I get out on the open and need a long shot I have a Winchester Model 70 .30-06 with a scope that will reach out and touch somebody.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know what sheepdog means by -bifocular speaking-. I can still shoot handguns just fine without scopes but have started to put them on my rifles. Have one on my PTR, my AR, and my Marlin 30-30. I have been thinking about mounting one on my Nylon 66.

·
Forum Founder
3,639 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
For handgun scopes, I have a T/C Contender .44 with a scope. It is big to carry hunting, but it sure is a shooter.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Scope on a handgun?!?! Thats sacrilegious! [:0]

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Does a scope work for bifocular type guys who don't see rear sights? Also, would Ghost ring sights work on a rifle or would the XS open v big dot work better? I'd never take a shot over 75 yards. Thanks for advice.....probably be on a Marlin 336 or 1894./

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,339 Posts
I bought a 2.5X pistol scope and mounted it with a Ruger base and rings on my MK III. I also bought a Millet Red Dot.The Red Dot works better for me off-hand and the 2.5X scope is better from a bench rest. 2.5X it too much magnification for me to hold steady off-hand. Soon I will have another set of Ruger Rings so I can switch back and forth in seconds.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
Is the Millet smaller than the scope pictured-what minimum range can it be used at-say ten yards???

·
Registered
110 Posts
I wear bifocals and it took a while to get used to them. I have read where some places can make a pair just for shooting, but I haven't checked into it yet.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,339 Posts
Millet Red Dots come in 1" or 30mm tubes, matte blue or silver. Because they have no magnification, they have no parallax and can be used at any distance. I wear bifocals and have no problem with a sight picture (unlike the scope in the above photo). The Red Dot is about 1.5" above bore line so if you zero at 25 yards, it will shoot about 3/4" low at 10 yards. However, you can zero it at any distance you want. I bought the 1" tube in matte blue. It has 11 brightness settings and came with rings to fit a Weaver base, scope caps, and a sunshade.

Here's some info about Red Dots. The cheap ones do not have the brightness range of the more expensive ones nor are they as rugged. I had a 30mm BSA ($39.95) that lasted just 3 rounds on a 22 Beretta NEOS pistol before the internal screen came loose. The BSA max dot brightness (position 11) was about the same brightness as the Millet on position 6. This makes a big difference when you shoot in bright sunlight or over snow. With my BSA, the red dot would disappear on a bright day. The Millet has plenty of brightness and I usually set it on position 8 or 9 on sunny days.

30mm tubes do show more viewable area. I found the smaller 1" tube was less bulky than the larger 30mm diameter so I gave up a little field of view in favor of size. They work and cost the same.

All Red Dots use a battery. They are easy to change, cost about $3, and last a long time providing you switch then OFF when you put the gun away. Ask me how I know.

Here's the same gun with the blue 1" Millet and included rings. Note: the optional sunshade is about an inch long and screws in the front of the scope as shown.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I'm having the bi-focal problem with rifles and thinking about low power scope for my .444. Don' want one on my 1886 45-70, it would ruin the looks and besides, its a top ejector.

·
Registered
880 Posts
I use scopes on my b/a hunting rifles....308, 7x57, .243 and a recent acquisition...a 6.5x55...not yet scoped, but soon, I hope ( anybody got any experience w/Burris? )

I do like ghost-ring sights, tho'. Or, really, about any kind of reciever sight. They work, and they're fun, and easy-to-use.

Want to try something with the old-folding leaf express type sights someday, if I'm lucky.

I've got gold-bead front sights on three handguns...that seems to make then easier for me to see...altho' I guess fiber-optic might be the way to go at some point...

·
Registered
44 Posts
To each his own....I have a Red Dot on my 870, a 4x32 on the Marlin 780 bolt action .22, of course the M77s each have scopes as they have no iron sights but other than that all the others are Alfresco!

1 - 20 of 33 Posts