Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I recently bought a mid seventies Single-Six off a friend. Its in really great shape and it is quickly becoming my favorite revolver. After I purchased it I went to my LGS and bought some CCI TNT WMR and wow what fun! It looks like shooting a .357 magnum but without the recoil and a great fireball. Makes me smile ear to ear like a kid. I asked the previous owner if he ever shot the mag cylinder and he looked at me like why would I do that? I have also talked to a few friends that own them and they never use it either. I realize its a few bucks for WMR but I always leave some in my range bag for other shooters to experience.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I bought a used .22 single six (new model) a few years ago. It has a magnum cylinder but like your friends, I have not used it. I also have a Taurus 992 double action .22 with a magnum cylinder. The only time I used the magnum cylinder in that revolver was for .22 magnum snake shot. A couple years ago, for some reason, we had an infestation of snakes so I was thinning the herd. I have a .22 magnum lever action rifle and that is what I use for .22 magnum ammo.

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have a pair of very recent SS, neither came with the magnum cylinder.
Which is OK for me, didn't want it anyway.

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
Other than the initial 'make sure it functions test', no. Mine just gets the .22LR.

·
Registered
980 Posts
I split about 50-50 between the LR and Mag cylinders; it is a bit more accurate with the .22 WMR than with .22 LR.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Like I said I don’t really do it all the time but I do think it’s good fun.

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
My Single-Six is from the early 70's when they stamped a star on the bottom of the frame to indicate that it never had a magnum cylinder. Haven't missed the capability in nearly 50 years so .....

Bruce

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,571 Posts
I had one in 2013 and used it to introduce my two kids to shooting.

I won’t forget the “wow!” look on their faces when I switched cylinders and they fired their first WMR shot.

However, we all outgrew it and I ended up selling it.

·
Registered
3,438 Posts
Back in the day ...30-40 years ago , 22 LR was DIRT cheap and most of us were ..low paid aka dirt poor , had wives and families and loath to blow money on , what we considered expensive , 22 WMR . I knew a fellow who was given a 22 WMR rifle ...he never shot it because the of cost of ammo !!!
Now people have unlimited incomes and the price of 22LR has risen to almost the cost of 22 WMR prices ! Different times , different prices ... now it's easier to get 22 WMR ammo than 22 LR ...So now is the time to break out the 22 WMR Cylinders or rifles and go shooting !!!
Gary

·
Exalted One
1,895 Posts
Ours is my Wife's night-stand gun. She's very good with it. We have the Magnum cylinder in it with CCI MaxiMags, for self defense. That's about as big as she is comfortable with. For plinking, the LR cylinder goes in and we shoot CCI Mini-Mags (that's all we stock), or shoot her SR22 and my Bersa Thunder .22.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
No, I never use the .22 magnum cylinder in my Super Single-six. The only handgun that I shoot the .22 magnum cartridge in is my Thompson Center G1 Contender with 10 inch heavy barrel. It's a heavier handgun and no cylinder/barrel gap, much more enjoyable to shoot than through the Single-six.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
I bought my Single Six in 1976 and yes I shoot my magnum cylinder and always have. I never thought I would buy a heritage rough rider 22lr but the 16" barrel intrigued me. It did not come with a magnum cylinder so I ordered one. I also have a Ruger LCR in 22mag.

1 - 20 of 89 Posts