Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title said, do yourself a favor and don't ever buy a Remington 597 22mag ! I bought the won I described else where in the forum and what a piece of crap it has turned out to be ! First, the plastic mags they send with the gun are crap. They jam every couple of rounds. So, I had to go out and buy 3 of the new aluminum body mags they now make and those pieces of crap jam too ! Second and my favorite, this gun is the biggest pain in the butt to clean out of any rifle I have ever owned ! The design of the recoil springs sucks ! They use two springs that go over the top of each other and bind up constantly while trying to assemble and while firing ! The first time I cleaned it after firing it, I actually spent an hour and 30 minutes to get the darn thing back together ! Needless to say, I just traded it for another Ruger 22/45 like the other one I just bought today. I will never, ever, ever buy another 22 of any kind that isn't made by Ruger ! No wonder Ruger is the #1 seller of 22 cal guns in the world ! The dummy at Remington actually said this gun was going to out sell and replace the Ruger 10/22 ? I don't know what those guys at Remington are smoking, but I want some if it makes all the world look that good ! Thank you GOD ! For Mr. Ruger and his corporation !

Warning:
As you can see, your thoughts can be expressed without using foul language...
Language cleaned up by RNettles 08-31-07

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I had a Remington 7400 in .270 WIN that did the same... and I spent 8 month's in denial, trying to fix it!:( I won't buy Remington Semi-Auto's ever again...

·
Banned
700 Posts
Down boy, HB!:D
You know there are great .22 rimfires besides Rugers...and perhaps the 597 "ain't" one of them.
I do happen to have both. The 597 LSS is extremely accurate out of the box...more so than the 1022. That's the good news. The bad news is the 597 has a lot of plastic on/in it and the darn "now 3rd generation mags" are iffy at best. No doubt this gun can be temperamental.
As to the "dummies" at Rem..I must agree. I made three calls to Rem seeking to remedy my bad mags. I talked to three different people. The first two told me they couldn't replace my 1st generation mags with new ones. The third told me all about their exchange program which I promptly and favorably responded.
Obviously this isn't the same Co I grew up with but none of them are.
Ruger has just gone through some major internal changes. I'm betting these changes aren't going to enhance our consumer/shooting experiences. That's just the corporate state of affairs in this land.

I treasure my good ol' good ones....Rugers and otherwise!:)

SD

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
I am about of the opinion that no one currently builds or have been able to build a reliable .22mag semi-auto rifle or pistol for that matter. I know that ruger tried and suposedly had problems and dropped it but have heard they may try again. Have also heard of the remington problems as well. Perhaps ruger will prove me wrong. It would be very interesting to see ruger come out with a .22 mag semi-auto handgun as well. No demand??????????

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sorry ! I flipped out a little ! I just can't stand when I have so many issue's with a fire arm and no one to help out with it. Ruger has always, always jumped right to when I called them with a issue. They have solved or steered me in the right direction every time without a single question. If you think I got a little miffed, then just try assembling the 22 mag 597 after cleaning ? You will be posting the same, trust me. Song, yours is the 22lr right ? Those look to be quite a bit easier to assemble because they only use two springs instead of the four over lapping each other the 22 mag does. I can't for the life of me understand why Remington didn't just use a heavier spring in the action ? Also, my gun dealer buddy had to send it back to Remington because he took it home for himself and after firing it and cleaning it he noticed the bolt was starting to split behind the front ear and started to see a big crack in the bolt. I love Remingtons 308's and there shotguns, never had a single problem with either. Needles to say, I will never buy another 22 unless its one of Rugers !

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Remington just isn't the same company it use to be. just forget to mail in your warranty card on an 1187 and see what happens when you have trouble!

I knew one feller that got real careless on a reload and severely damaged a ruger k77vtmkII. He had it sent in to ruger who after examination advised him that it was beyond repair as the receiver had been damaged but offered to sell him a brand new vt replacement at what i gather was wholesale price and way way below what a dealer could sell a new one for. Needless to say he will be a ruger owner and buyer for life.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I used to buy for style and features, bought a couple of Rems. that had plastic parts---said oh, well, it'll be OK...got rid of them soon...now I buy with one thing in mind...reliability and no down time...I want to give them to my sons and them to have trouble-free service from them...that makes me spend now...I've never had a minute's trouble with a 10/22...they're the only one I'd buy now...so many have cut corners that old names don't mean old quality anymore....sad....

·
Banned
700 Posts
As comfortable, accurate and nice looking as the 597's are if they present mechanical and performance problems without remedy they'll cease to be around.
The 1022 is a great American success story enhanced by that revelutionary rotary mag. There's literally nothing an experienced home tweaker can't do to one.
On the other hand, when I first got my 597 (yes HB, it's an LR)a buddy and I decided to lighten the trigger a bit. Wow, we took that badboy from an unacceptable 6lbs[V] to a "two men and a boy" pull of 10lbs in no time![:0][:0]
The deafening laughter from the safe was that of my 1022's!:D

It appears that the pressures of the .22 mag presented more problems than was practical or profitable so.....perhaps back to the drawing board.
For my money, whether rimfire or centerfire(M77MKII VT.22-250)Ruger has been hard to beat.

SD

·
Code Slinger
2,202 Posts
I like the AMT AutoMag II. It's a very cool looking pistol, but I heard its not very reliable.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The AutoMag is sweet. I have one and the only problem I have ever had is with a couple of new mags I bought for it jamming every couple of rounds. I removed a couple of coils from the springs on them and then they functioned properly after several trips to the range. I think all the issue's this gun suffers from are from inadequete magazines, where most issue's with all fire arms come from. The only other issue it has is that after about 500 rounds the little dimples in the chamber dirty and cartridges stick and you half to clean the gun. Keep in mind my AutoMag is an original AMT not the new High Standard, I have not bought one of theirs because they have changed some of AMT's original design and I am not sure how reliable the new ones are going to be ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
quote:It would be very interesting to see ruger come out with a .22 mag semi-auto handgun as well. No demand??????????
if anyone can, it will be Ruger..got to admit there 22s are untouched in the relm of rimfires...
i was going to post if there was a such thing as a 22 mag auto pistol,then i read further down,saw that there is one...
i would love to have one made by Ruger...got to love all those single actions they make:)

·
Registered
515 Posts
Don't think Rem has made a good 22 semi since they quit making the 550. Had one but
let it go. Wish that i had kept it. Love my old full stocked 10-22 it has a walnut stock
nothing fancy. Bought it used 20 some years ago. Gave more for it than new ones were selling for to me it was worth it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts