Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It took some moderate mag tuning to get my VQ LLV 22/45 MK IV pistol reliable. I’m now interested in a pre-owned 10/22, will I need to tune mags as well?

·
Corps Commander NGV
4,905 Posts
Not at all. The factory BX-10 magazines are legendary for their reliability. The high cap magazines can have issues with some rifles.

·
Major
1,624 Posts
What is mag tuning?

As for 10/22, I have two dozen 10/22 and 77/22 magazines (identical except for the shape of the bottoms) with several thousand rounds through them and all I’ve ever done to them was keep the crud blown out with compressed air.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
I ain't never heard of mag tuning in my life. Where do these new terms come from ? If you got dust or dirt in a mag take an air compressor and blow it out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies. Glad to hear that most of you are unaware.

In short, mag tuning (search Ruger Mark magazine tuning) is to help correct feed issues in Mark series pistols. From what I have read, there are reports of inconsistencies between magazines due to the stamping and the manufacturing process, although I may have just gotten a bad magazine or two as I have bought the pistol used. I’m not sure calling Ruger was an option to fix. Others have experienced the same thing, but I’m sure other factors have contributed to the inconsistent feeding. The mag tuning for me did help feed issues for me but was not the complete solve.

·
Registered
601 Posts
It took some moderate mag tuning to get my VQ LLV 22/45 MK IV pistol reliable. I’m now interested in a pre-owned 10/22, will I need to tune mags as well?
You are talking about two different animals here. The 22/45 MK pistols sometimes have mag issues that require some tweaking. The 10/22 rifles use a totally different mag and for the most part are good to go without any tweaking.

I have never had to tweak any of my 10/22 mags but have had to smooth up several of my MK mags.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
They are easier to tune with an electronic tuner...............

Kidding aside, 1911 and High Standard mags do sometimes need to be tuned.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Only issue I've ever had with a 10/22 magazine was due to a spring that lost some tension. After storing some ammo in it for a year, it started having problems feeding the last three rounds.

After pulling it apart and cleaning it up good, I put it back together, but rotated the internal spindle a bit more to add more spring tension. Has run really well since then.

non-ruger after market magazines haven't every worked consistently for me.

If you have issues with a new ruger branded magazine, contact ruger customer service. Otherwise, clean it and tension the spring every couple thousand rounds or so and you should be just fine.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I found 22/45 magazines came coated with a preservative that needed to be cleaned off. Tuning is a whole new idea and I will not be purchasing any gun that requires it.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Just bought on older High Standard Sport King. I can tell you that mag tuning is a real thing! Had to buy a special tool, and use calipers to get the mags to function.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Bought my first 10/22 back in the early 90's, the 2nd in mid 2000's. Have used the same dozen Ruger BX and Butler Creek 25 rounders between the two rifles and four of the Ruger 10 shot mags. The Butler Creekers date back to the 90's. Never had to do any tuning on any them except keep them clean. Have heard some complain of problems with the Ruger BX's-not the ones I own.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had to mag tune a couple of my Mark II mags, some for my Hi-power and 1911 But the rotary mags for my three 10/22 work flawlessly. I also use them in my Ruger 22LR American. No problems at all. The only problems I have ever heard about the rotary mags is if you ammo that is real greasy such as Norma crud can build up in them.

·
Registered
3,478 Posts
Funny how terms get into the shooting sports. Just in my 65 years it has changed a lot. I remember how mad our Marine Gunny got when someone said "rack the slide". Lololol

·
Registered
213 Posts
Back in the day some of the Butler Creek mags, 25 rounders would not feed well. I still have a couple, Ruger put metal lips on theirs and used it as a marketing tool. I think the problems were mostly shooting them in cold weather. There are actually guidelines on taking them apart and cleaning and adjusting the tension on them. On the other hand, I have actually shot ARs when it was so cold the bolt often would not cycle simply due to a little carbon and the below freezing temp. I guess you can spray that RV anti freeze on them, lol.

https://forums.brianenos.com/topic/281443-1022-magazine-life-expectancy/

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have never heard it phrased as tuning before, but I've had to adjust magazines for a Mark I, I've actually had to adjust more magazines for that pistol than I haven't. I've had to adjust magazines for a 1911, and for an AR15. But for a factory 10 round 10/22 magazine I've never seen one that failed to work regardless of age of round count. In my experience the only two types of factory 10/22 mags I've seen were either good to go or very obviously broken.

·
Registered
6 Posts
As OldGringo said the older butler creeks had some issues. They had plastic feed lips in them and I believe called them hot lips if I remember correctly. I've seen some of those that work great and some that didn't, the ones I saw tended to give feeding issues on the last few rounds. Back in the day when there wasn't many options on high capacity magazines, you just had to deal with what you could get. I still see Butler Creek mags for sale, but have no experience with their modern magazines. In my opinion the 10 round ruger magazine is one of them better magazine designs. If its not cracked open or rattling like a baby toy, it shouldn't give you any issues.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I have no idea what "mag-tuning" is supposed to mean, but I've been shooting 10/22 rifles for 40+ years, and have never had a problem. Ruger makes some "rubber jackets" for the mags in case you want to carry some around in your pocket (keeps the dust & lint out) Just don't try to shoot CCI Stingers.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts