Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own the Sport and like it very much. I was thinking of picking up the Ruger AR556, but wasn't sure if I would be just picking up another entry-level AR. Anybody gave both and what can you tell me?

Thanks!

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I don't have both, but I do have the Ruger and learned a lot about the Sport while deciding which to get.

Unless a dust cover and forward assist are important to you, I don't think there is any compelling reason to get the Ruger. Unless... Unless of course you just want another gun. If you are happy with the Sport (and virtually everyone who buys one seems to be happy) I suspect you would be equally happy with the Ruger.

The Ruger does have some features that the Sport does not have. It has the nifty threaded delta ring that makes removing bodyguards easier, a nice beaver tail pistol grip, a trigger guard that makes room for a gloved finger.

Both are outstanding values and you can't go wrong with either one.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
I HATE the threaded delta ring............maybe a good idea, but poorly executed. The Ruger trigger was much worse. Dust cover and forward assist mean nothing to me. While really not a nickel's worth of diff in the two, just a couple little things pushed me to the M&P

·
Registered
1,695 Posts
PERSONALLY, I would never purchase an AR without a forward assist and dust cover. I consider the AR platform a battle rifle and as such I'd like both functions in them. If you are going to use it to plink, I'm not sure what really matters.

Alos: Buying a stipped upper and additional hardware later down the road and swapping would only be about a $150 mod......

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Like so many , when I was buying another AR and looking for one on a budget ,both models were choices I went with the M&P over the Ruger .I'm a big Ruger fan and Having owned and owning Mini's I love Ruger rifles . The M&P has awesome reviews and a reputation for digesting anything .Ruger still not having the trac record of its competition I felt I should pass . thats said I've seen mostly good reviews and have considered it again for another rifle to have .

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Like so many , when I was buying another AR and looking for one on a budget ,both models were choices I went with the M&P over the Ruger .I'm a big Ruger fan and Having owned and owning Mini's I love Ruger rifles . The M&P has awesome reviews and a reputation for digesting anything .Ruger still not having the trac record of its competition I felt I should pass . thats said I've seen mostly good reviews and have considered it again for another rifle to have .
Thanks, Frankie/msp,

One more question... Where both of you had/handled both, would you say the "build quality" is even between the two? I've seen opinions for both across the inter webs.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
773 Posts
PERSONALLY, I would never purchase an AR without a forward assist and dust cover. I consider the AR platform a battle rifle and as such I'd like both functions in them. If you are going to use it to plink, I'm not sure what really matters.

Alos: Buying a stipped upper and additional hardware later down the road and swapping would only be about a $150 mod......
As a 'user' of the M16A1 with a forward assist in RVN back in 1968, we found that the it was mainly an 'assist in getting a round stuck tighter into the chamber rendering the rifle useless' rather that aiding in any way.

I found the dust cover a useful addition, the forward assist ... not so much.

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
I have handled quite a few examples of both. I think the Ruger and the Smith each have excellent build quality. I'm sure if you looked at enough of them you could find examples of both with flaws. Generally, though, that's not going to be the case.

As for a "track record," these are AR's, and not some new proprietary design. They're assembled from AR components. Yes, the Sport has been around longer, but there is nothing about the Ruger that would be cause to wait until "the bugs are ironed out."

·
Registered
5,280 Posts
As a 'user' of the M16A1 with a forward assist in RVN back in 1968, we found that the it was mainly an 'assist in getting a round stuck tighter into the chamber rendering the rifle useless' rather that aiding in any way.

Steve, I sort of think the forward assist is similar in some ways to the cleaning rod that comes with most AK's. They probably almost never get used, and are of dubious usefulness should the need for one ever arise. Still, they're just "supposed" to be there. I have to be honest here. One thing I like about my Ruger AR-556 is that it has both the forward assist and the dust cover. It's "supposed" to have them. Still, if I were looking at buying Sport, I'm pretty sure the lack of both would never be a problem.

·
Registered
773 Posts
Supposed to be there and useful are two entirely different things. I prefer to have my ARs with a dust cover and without a forward assist as it is a useless piece of equipment and could be deadly in a life or death situation.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Supposed to be there and useful are two entirely different things. I prefer to have my ARs with a dust cover and without a forward assist as it is a useless piece of equipment and could be deadly in a life or death situation.
Can you explain more on the forward assist cold be deadly?

·
Registered
1,695 Posts

Pretty true....no lie there

·
Registered
773 Posts
Can you explain more on the forward assist cold be deadly?
Yes, in a pinch you might be tempted to use the forward assist to ram home a defective round rather that cycling the weapon to use a fresh round. If the problematic round jams the weapon you are left defenseless.

I never use the forward assist as it's an invitation to making a small issue a big problem. Pictures of dead GIs in RVN with their weapons opened trying to remove a jammed round were seen years ago.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Yes, in a pinch you might be tempted to use the forward assist to ram home a defective round rather that cycling the weapon to use a fresh round. If the problematic round jams the weapon you are left defenseless.

I never use the forward assist as it's an invitation to making a small issue a big problem. Pictures of dead GIs in RVN with their weapons opened trying to remove a jammed round were seen years ago.
Steve, thank you for the explanation.

Also a big thanks for your service in my country back then.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
I have handled quite a few examples of both. I think the Ruger and the Smith each have excellent build quality. I'm sure if you looked at enough of them you could find examples of both with flaws. Generally, though, that's not going to be the case.

As for a "track record," these are AR's, and not some new proprietary design. They're assembled from AR components. Yes, the Sport has been around longer, but there is nothing about the Ruger that would be cause to wait until "the bugs are ironed out."
I'm not sure i agree ,there are other platforms like 1911's , CZ copies, the Ak ect that will and have different degree's of reliability , performance, durability and acçuracy they are simply not all created equal... and a " trac record " for a specific model is important I think for choosing one over another . Again thats not knocking the Ruger just simply stating a fact .

·
Registered
773 Posts
Steve, thank you for the explanation.

Also a big thanks for your service in my country back then.
I guess I should state it's mine too. :rolleyes:

BTW, I didn't have to rely on my issued M16 much because I was packing a 3½" diameter shotgun and a Ma duce as my primary weapons.

·
Registered
2,092 Posts
Because an AR is a "battle" rifle, means little to me. I don't plan on going to battle, dragging my AR through rice patties, mud or desert, nor letting it get so filthy it won't cycle a round........so as stated, forward assist and a cover doesn't matter to me. If it won't chamber a round, there is a reason, so I don't care to try and ram it in there and wouldn't. Dust cover would be fine, no big deal, but lack of one doesn't concern me, even if some think it is supposed to be there.

Aside from the small complaints I had with the Ruger, I also just felt the M&P was a better rifle and the track record speaks for itself. Mine has been flawless and I certainly don't treat it like jewelry to make it run that way either

1 - 20 of 26 Posts