Ruger Forum banner

141 - 160 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
I'm not Taurus-bashing, but how hard can it be? It's basically a J-Frame clone, made with similar tooling. I know there's a history there but I'm too settled in front of the wood stove to Google it now.

Charter Arms has made strides in reliability compared to Taurus. They would be my choice for a new, low-price snub. That said, I'd buy a premium make first. My #2 choice after the Kimber K6S was the DAO SP101. They are worth the extra $$. And that brings me to my next point.

Perhaps like me, you know the darned thing will work during the worst moment of your life so far. Yes, if I could carry my 6.5" Blackhawk without anyone seeing it I would, instead of a snub. Just because it is so wicked accurate and makes a great club, in a pinch.

The only issue I've had with revolvers of any sort has been with bad reloads when I was new to it; 0 failures out of thousands of rounds, otherwise, with factory rounds or good reloads.
Charter Arms...I have a friend who has one and she LOVES it!
I've had several SP101's and I still have my original 2.25" in .357 which I purchased new in December 1994 (25 years old this Christmas) and I still love it and, occasionally, carry it!
I've considered a DAO model, but just haven't gone down that road...as of yet!
The Kimber K-6...I shot one of those a year ago and instantly fell in love it it! In the short-term, it's just outside of the budget right now...but there'll be a day!
Why a revolver, some have asked? Because it's something I trust in a moment I never want to have to deal with, but have because those who know me know I would deal with it!

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #142
I carry daily, a s&w model 60 3" chambered .357, but I carry .38 because if I need to use it I don't want the blast.
A good 3" revolver...probably one the best set-ups for EDC ever!
I've carried as many .38's in my SP101 as I have .357 magnum rounds over the years!

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,785 Posts

I've considered a DAO model, but just haven't gone down that road...as of yet!
The Kimber K-6...I shot one of those a year ago and instantly fell in love it it! In the short-term, it's just outside of the budget right now...but there'll be a day!
Why a revolver, some have asked?
My wife and I train DA shots only with our DA guns, so the K6S was a revelation. You will like the trigger. It is a wee bit light for .357s, but it handles .38 +p well. I can shoot 100 rounds without complaints.

Keep an eye on the used market. I scored my really early issue gun (one of first 6000 made) at $200 under MSRP, very lightly used and with box, paperwork, gun case. It may have been fired a dozen times...someone found it too stout with .357, I guess. Or they couldn’t hit with it. The original dealer resold it to me.

The only issue was regulating the front sight. I filed it until POA and POI met at 25 feet. Over 1,100 rounds later, since late 2017, and it remains flawless.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Charter Arms has made strides in reliability compared to Taurus. They would be my choice for a new, low-price snub.
I got a 6 shot CA Police Undercover .38 last winter and I like it a lot. Its built like a tank and has a good trigger that gets better the more you shoot it. I love the grips too. I ordered a DAO hammer for it this week.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I have a S&W 37, 342PD - both .38s a couple of sp101s in .357 and 1 in .327 Fed But for the last couple years I mainly just carry my lcr in .327 Fed. 6 rds instead of 5.
My winter coat often has a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 spl in the pocket

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #146
My wife and I train DA shots only with our DA guns, so the K6S was a revelation. You will like the trigger. It is a wee bit light for .357s, but it handles .38 +p well. I can shoot 100 rounds without complaints.

Keep an eye on the used market. I scored my really early issue gun (one of first 6000 made) at $200 under MSRP, very lightly used and with box, paperwork, gun case. It may have been fired a dozen times...someone found it too stout with .357, I guess. Or they couldn’t hit with it. The original dealer resold it to me.

The only issue was regulating the front sight. I filed it until POA and POI met at 25 feet. Over 1,100 rounds later, since late 2017, and it remains flawless.
After shooting the 2" version, I quickly determined that I wanted a 3" K6...which will happen some day!
Lately, I've become partial to longer-barreled pistols...

·
Registered
5,525 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
I got a 6 shot CA Police Undercover .38 last winter and I like it a lot. Its built like a tank and has a good trigger that gets better the more you shoot it. I love the grips too. I ordered a DAO hammer for it this week.
Congradulations...let me know how it works in DAO mode...I've found that when shooting DAO, installing a lighter set of Wolff Springs can make a huge difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Congradulations...let me know how it works in DAO mode...I've found that when shooting DAO, installing a lighter set of Wolff Springs can make a huge difference.
Hi Amishman,

I put the DAO hammer in but havent had a chance to shoot it yet. TBH, the DA trigger pull feels exactly the same as before which really isnt bad at all, though not as nice as my LCR .38. But now its better for EDC and gives me 6 rounds while being only slightly bigger and heavier than my LCR, which is still my favorite EDC overall. It does give me more viable carry options though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I carry a S&W Model 60. It is a .357mag revolver and I shoot .38 Specials in it.
I also carry a S&W Model 686 Plus with a 3 inch barrel. Like the Model 60, it is a .357mag that I shoot .38 Specials in it. (The 686 Plus is a 7 shot revolver.)
I have a number of colleagues that carry various wheel guns on a daily use.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello all
I carry a Smith 337SC in 38spl+p or my Smith 360SC in 357. I carry Remington 38spl+p 125gr or Winchester Ranger 38spl+p+ 110gr. I sometimes carry the Smith 386pd 7shot 357. This one I carry 357 loads. Have carried a Smith for many years and especially the light weight Scandium frames and Titanium cylinder revolvers.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I recently Purchased this 3" Kimber K6S DASA. I would like carry it but it's too darn Pretty.
The only advantage it has over my new Cobra, is that it will fire the 357mag, but if I did carry the Kimber it would be with 38+P anyway.

Attachments

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,785 Posts
I recently Purchased this 3" Kimber K6S DASA. I would like carry it but it's too darn Pretty.
The only advantage it has over my new Cobra, is that it will fire the 357mag, but if I did carry the Kimber it would be with 38+P anyway.
That is my special sauce: +p in a Kimber. Mine is an early issue K6S and it is DAO. I pocket carry it. What a great wheel gun it is, too.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Clip grips on some along with rubber bands and inner tube grips on others for no slip Mexican Carry.

Several revolvers in the mix since the early part of the last little bit.
Tyler T on most j and k frames too.

Most of em have bobbed hammers some have fitz special treatments that I keep out of nostalgia and sentimentality.

Stainless and hard chrome finishes mostly for ease of up keep and flashy presentation on draw.

I've never had to put lead in anyone so the bullets will only matter on the day they matter. I tried dog poop filling in hollow points but it always ended up in my boots by the end of the watch. Just one of the downsides of Mexican Carry.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
I occasionally carry either a S&W M-60 ('73) or Colt Detective Special ('64) as a primary with Winchester Silvertip ammunition, usually when I seek a little more discretion. My main EDC firearm is a Ruger SR1911 Cmd. .45ACP that I've modified for Lefty use.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I sometimes carry a Ruger LCR or a Smith and Wesson 637. Often when I am out in my garage I carry one OWB instead of my .380.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I never carry a backup gun, but I carry a S&W Model 36 J-frame every once in awhile as my primary.
I use Hydra-Shok +P and have for many years.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I bought a Rossi stainless 5 shot .38 many years ago. had to send it back for barrel replacement but it shoots great now. Weighs next to nothing.
Wit Liberty Civil Defense rounds it will take down just about anything without punishing the revolver.

141 - 160 of 193 Posts