Ruger Forum banner

161 - 180 of 193 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
A Smith & Wesson, model 640 is in my pocket 4 times a day when I walk my dog in my neighborhood. While the 640 is a .357 magnum, I only use .38 special rounds. (The extra weight increase reliability of me.)

My greatest concern is coyotes so I use shotshells.
I prefer heavier bullets than I find in most, on-the-shelf, self-defense rounds.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Since I do not like to keep a round in an automatic with or without a safety in my console, I have a sp101 loaded with +p 38 at all times.
It has a little more trigger pull than a Glock or no safety on 1911 to remember to flip.
I have a concern of getting into an accident and something going terribly wrong so I think it 's a good option.

·
Registered
42 Posts
12 pages of replies would indicate to me that yes, there are indeed a lot of people who still CC a .38spl., myself included.

When I carry my S&W 642 it's usually in the pocket along with two speed strips for a total of 15 rounds. I load up with flat nose FMJ standard pressure .38spl. I value penetration and controllablity in a package this small and light over higher recoiling +P rounds with hollow points that may or may not expand in a 2" barrel, plus I can train with the same inexpensive ammo I carry.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I haven't. I was looking forward to doing so when I came across a 'deal' on a Model 37 Airweight. Problem is that this 52 year old gun appears factory new (well, I did shoot 30 rounds of wad cutters through it) and now I don't want to beat it up by carrying it. It sure would be a lot lighter than the 696 (.44 special) and 3914 (9mm) that I do carry.

Bruce

·
Premium Member
2,663 Posts
I just added a 3" LCRx357 to my rotation along with my LCR357. Gives me 1-1/8" more barrel and adjustable rear sights. Weighs in at 21 oz (4 more than the LCR) and carries comfortably in all the same places. Same grip and handling. WIN/WIN

·
Registered
5,502 Posts
Discussion Starter #177 (Edited)
12 pages of replies would indicate to me that yes, there are indeed a lot of people who still CC a .38spl., myself included.
Seems like it...I know a few guys, personally, who still CC a .38 snubby all day long.

S&W 36 and S&W 637 with laser grip booth with 158 HP +p practice wit 148 DEWC
My older (from 1990) nickle Taurus 85 prefers the standard pressure Hornady 158 grain JHP's in .38 special...shoots to POA very nicely...handles better than most of the +P rounds too!

·
Registered
60 Posts
CCW .38 Snubby.

Just being curious...but does anyone still CC a 5-shot .38 snubbie revolver as a BUG or even a Primary anymore and if so, what?

If so, what is your preferred ammo for personal defense?

Just being curious...
I have carried a S&W Laser Bodyguard for many years now. I have tried carrying a S&W 629 .44 Mag Mountain Gun but the weight was just too much at 41 oz. So I tried a Glock 23 in .40 cal. This was a improvement and I still carry it when I go out walking at night. Though a black pistol is not much os a deterrent at night so I put a Viridean X5 tac light/ green laser sight on the gun, though now none of my holsters will work. Now at night when I turn on the tac light there is a green laser dot in the center. The Glock with a twelve round clip makes a great carry gun but I'm 75 years old and the glock is still a bit heavy so I bought a S&W Laser Body Guard in .38 +P special with a 2" barrel. Though it only has five shots it sure beats carrying a big stick and having had a CCW for over 20 years and never having had to pull my gun in self defense, knock on wood, I hope to never need the weapon in an emergency. The very best to all of you

·
Registered
366 Posts
If I carry a wheelie, it's my old, homely S&W Model 49, loaded with Federal Micro 130gr made specifically for short barrels. It comes along with my EDC auto loader on range day, so I'm confident with it should the worst ever happen.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I carry an SP-101 in a Nemesis pocket holster, with .38 SPCL 148gr WC's in the cylinder and .357 MAG 125gr JHP's in a speed strip in a mag pouch. Currently waiting on an IWB MK-Tek holster for it. Not leather which I usually choose for revolvers, but who knows, it might work out fine.

I've got a picture of it on my computer but there isn't any url, so I'm not sure how to attach it.

161 - 180 of 193 Posts