Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's not a particularly big deal, but surely I can't be the only one.

When it comes to military calibers like the 5.56x45mm or 7.62x39mm, when somebody says the name out loud they'll say five five six or seven six two. But growing up I didn't hear this, I could only go by the names as they were written. I always pronounced them as five point five six, and seven point six two. Just like how pi is three point one four. Even today I still pronounce their names as they appear.

Anyone else in the same boat or am I the odd one here?

·
Registered
123 Posts
Charlie I too it as well. Five Point Five Six. 5.56x45mm is a measurement. That's how my brain thinks of it. 30-06 is 7.62x63mm. Though the 44mag uses .429 bullets but....shrugs

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
I'm not too fond of people calling .45 Colt, .45 Long Colt.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I never realy thought about it .
I read 7 point 62 and I say 7 point 62 ...
I read 30 - 06 .... as 30 ought 6 (not 3 thousand six) and say thirty ought six.
This makes my head hurt , I'm going to take two Excedrin and lie down for a while !
Gary

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,169 Posts
gunjunkie, I figured someone would bring up 45 Long Colt so don't be offended if I pick on the topic a little.

Back at the turn of the last century (1900) the Army got itself into a logistics problem. At the time, there were 4 different 45 cal cartridges and 4 different 45 cal handguns issued to US troupes. The S&W Schofield revolver was chambered in 45 Schofield (AKA 45 Short), the 45 Colt Single Action Army (SAA) was chambered in 45 Long Colt, the Colt Mod 1905 (later to become the 1911) was chambered for 45 Automatic Colt Pistol (AKA 45 ACP), and the lesser known 45 Colt New Service revolver was chambered for the M-1909 cartridge. Here's the confusion: A 45 Schofield cartridge would operate in a S&W Schofield, a 45 Long Colt, and a Colt New Service but it would not work in a 1911. The 45 Long Colt cartridge would work in a Colt SAA or Colt New Service. The 45 New Service (M-1909) cartridge would only work in a Colt New Service revolver. The 45 ACP cartridge would only work in a 1905 (and later a 1911) pistol.

So here you are on the front lines in a war and need ammo. If you ask for 45 ammo, you could get any one of the four so the Army used common names to avoid confusion .... 45 Long Colt, 45 Schofield (or 45 Short), 45 ACP, and 45 New Service. As time went on these military names stuck and are still popular today. In 1926, SAAMI was founded and one of their first tasks was to assign official names for commercial (civilian) small arms ammunition. 45 Long Colt became 45 Colt, 45 ACP became 45 Auto, 45 Schofield and 45 New Service stayed the same.

The term "45 Long Colt" is still a military term and is used in many reloading manuals and dozens of other references .... no different than using 30-'06 or 30-40 Krag. I wonder how many people use 45 ACP instead of 45 Auto? It's just as wrong but no one seems to mind. I think this whole "Long Colt" thing has been totally blown out or proportion by the alleged "experts" on the Internet .... the same people that can't understand a "clip" is a type of magazine. Fact is, 45 Long Colt is just as valid as 45 Colt and is more definitive.

·
16,169 Posts
Palidin, you're right but I guess you could say the same for 45 Long Colt being shortened to 45 Colt. It's like calling a car a "Chevy" instead of its real name "Chevrolet". The commercial names for cartridges were assigned by SAAMI and really had nothing to do with name length. At least the 45 Colt retained the designer name (Colt) but the 45 Auto does not give credit to Colt or John Browning for its joint design.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I work with Statehouse Security who carry Glocks. Their cailber word is ".45". No ACP, no Auto. Simple and to the point.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Odd is as odd does.

I work with a guy we talk about guns and he says he doesn't want to be embarrassed by asking stupid questions or have people think he doesn't know anything. I tell him we're just talking and becoming familiar with the language will help from him being identified as a newb. We covered that as well as other caliber conversations. I told him if he didn't want to get laughed at don't ask for "five point fifty six ammo." Simply say you want some "five five six"

Reactions: Kenny53

·
Registered
16,995 Posts
gunjunkie, I figured someone would bring up 45 Long Colt so don't be offended if I pick on the topic a little.

Back at the turn of the last century (1900) the Army got itself into a logistics problem. At the time, there were 4 different 45 cal cartridges and 4 different 45 cal handguns issued to US troupes. The S&W Schofield revolver was chambered in 45 Schofield (AKA 45 Short), the 45 Colt Single Action Army (SAA) was chambered in 45 Long Colt, the Colt Mod 1905 (later to become the 1911) was chambered for 45 Automatic Colt Pistol (AKA 45 ACP), and the lesser known 45 Colt New Service revolver was chambered for the M-1909 cartridge. Here's the confusion: A 45 Schofield cartridge would operate in a S&W Schofield, a 45 Long Colt, and a Colt New Service but it would not work in a 1911. The 45 Long Colt cartridge would work in a Colt SAA or Colt New Service. The 45 New Service (M-1909) cartridge would only work in a Colt New Service revolver. The 45 ACP cartridge would only work in a 1905 (and later a 1911) pistol.

So here you are on the front lines in a war and need ammo. If you ask for 45 ammo, you could get any one of the four so the Army used common names to avoid confusion .... 45 Long Colt, 45 Schofield (or 45 Short), 45 ACP, and 45 New Service. As time went on these military names stuck and are still popular today. In 1926, SAAMI was founded and one of their first tasks was to assign official names for commercial (civilian) small arms ammunition. 45 Long Colt became 45 Colt, 45 ACP became 45 Auto, 45 Schofield and 45 New Service stayed the same.

The term "45 Long Colt" is still a military term and is used in many reloading manuals and dozens of other references .... no different than using 30-'06 or 30-40 Krag. I wonder how many people use 45 ACP instead of 45 Auto? It's just as wrong but no one seems to mind. I think this whole "Long Colt" thing has been totally blown out or proportion by the alleged "experts" on the Internet .... the same people that can't understand a "clip" is a type of magazine. Fact is, 45 Long Colt is just as valid as 45 Colt and is more definitive.
I just remember seeing those 45 Colt boxes ever since I was a little boy, and most people just called them 45s.

·
16,169 Posts
The point being .... if the person you are talking to knows what you mean, who really cares if it is "SAAMI" correct" (much like politically correct). Here on the forum it's a little more important to use proper names for cartridges because we have experience levels from "just started yesterday" to old pharts like me, however if I use the term "45 Long Colt" I think almost everyone will know exactly what I mean, even if it isn't "SAAMI correct".

Neon Horse, clipazine .... I like that term .... maybe I'll use it some day.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,759 Posts
Just a thought, its probably gonna get worse since the invention of cell phones, and texting, which has an abbreviation for just about anything for the younger crowd, most of which i have no idea what the mix of letters means, but they understand "their" meaning. Every once in a while i ask the the wife what the mix means since she is more familiar with such. and does the social media stuff alot more, i have no drive to tweet, snap chat, facebook, all that crap. I visit here and thats about it. Im busy personally interacting with people instead of social media roaming.

Me i say 556, i dont like using 762 because i have 7.62x51. 7.62x39. 7.62x54r and if you want to go further 7.62x63 (30.06) not to mention others. So its 308, 7.62x39. and 30.06 for me. Another is 44, i say 44 special, or 44 mag not just 44.
I use 45acp, 45colt. 380, and 9mm.

I always hated 22mag, 22wmr same cartridge. I perfer 22 mag.

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
What makes my brain hurt is when you discuss a cartridge and you call it by how you know it as 30 luger but someone will call it the military equivalent? 7.65×21mm Parabellum ...

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not a particularly big deal, but surely I can't be the only one.

When it comes to military calibers like the 5.56x45mm or 7.62x39mm, when somebody says the name out loud they'll say five five six or seven six two. But growing up I didn't hear this, I could only go by the names as they were written. I always pronounced them as five point five six, and seven point six two. Just like how pi is three point one four. Even today I still pronounce their names as they appear.

Anyone else in the same boat or am I the odd one here?
cant say that I do... I just say 223,556,9 etc

·
Registered
83 Posts
I must be the only one that says seven DOT six two, five DOT five six, or thirty OUGHT six?

.45 ACP has always been eleven DOT two five MM to me . . . . .

Z

1 - 20 of 58 Posts