Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 58 Posts

Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
Anybody ever heard of a 11.43脳33mmR ? That's the official metric name for a 45 Colt. As with all metric cartridge names, the bullet diameter comes first (11.43), then the length of the brass case (43), and finally the R means the case has a rim. So if you really want to confuse your friends, tell them you are taking your Ruger Blackhawk 11x43mmR out for target practice.

Registered
My hunting/buddy insists on calling the 7 Rem Mag the 7 鈥渕鈥濃漨鈥. He鈥檒l say how did your 7 m m shoot?........You mean my 7 Mag....???

He grew up in Iowa...........now he just does it to irritate me. :mad:

Reactions: Tacky

While I'm in the "rant" mode, I might as well address my other pet peeve that the Internet experts manage to parrot without really knowing much about guns.

A magazine is a generic term for an ammunition storage and feeding device and there are many different types, such as: belt fed (ie 50 BMG), drum fed (ie machine gun), front tube fed (ie pump shotgun or rifle), rear tube fed, (ie Browning SA 22 rifle) internal box fed (ie bolt action rifle), detachable clip or box fed (ie semi-auto pistols and rifles), detachable rotary fed (ie 10/22 rifle), non-detachable rotary fed (ie Savage mod 99), . Notice there is no "magazine fed magazine". Calling a storage / feeding device a magazine is not wrong but it's only half correct so using the rest of the term (tube, drum, etc) makes it even more correct.

Mark204, At one time, I owned a 7mm Mag, a 7mm-08, and a 7x57 mm. Rather than confuse myself or others, I called them by their brand and model ... Winchester Mod 70 (7mm mag), Remington Mod 700 (7mm-08), or Mauser 98 (7x57mm). Yes, I'm from Iowa too where we do funny things with those mms. Back in the dark ages when I went to school, the mere mention of the metric system would likely get you thrown out of class.

Reactions: slohunter

"The Real Deal"
My hunting/buddy insists on calling the 7 Rem Mag the 7 鈥渕鈥濃漨鈥. He鈥檒l say how did your 7 m m shoot?........You mean my 7 Mag....???

He grew up in Iowa...........now he just does it to irritate me. :mad:
I call it a 7 mag too. I call my 8x57js mauser an 8mm mauser though for some odd reason. 馃槈 Also call the 7mm stw as such to show the difference between it and the 7 mag.

Reactions: Mark204

Registered
Wow, I need a rest after reading this. I was going to go plink with my Blackhawk in 11.43 X 33 mR with revolving (rotating) magazine. (Don't ask me what I just said because I'm not sure.)

Registered
You do know there is professional help available for you guys who have issues with caliber designations and what to call the bullet.....wait ammunition holder thingy. The sooner you start, the better off the therapy will help.

Now if I can just find the clip for my nine.

Registered
You do know there is professional help available for you guys who have issues with caliber designations and what to call the bullet.....wait ammunition holder thingy. The sooner you start, the better off the therapy will help.

Z

Registered
I'm coming up on my 14th year as a moderator on this forum so yes, I have become "twisted" by all of the rhetoric. Time for a nap.
And we thank you for your service. Your posts are informative and interesting. I'm not sure that's enough to change peoples opinions though........you just can't talk horse sense with some of us donkeys (nice version).

Any computer geeks out there? The metric system is a "base 10" just like the number of fingers on your hands. The US system of weight and liquid measurement is a binary system (octal base). Think: 8 ounces = 1/2 lb, 1 cup. 16 oz =1 pound, 1 pint, 2 cups. 32 oz = 2 pounds, 1 quart, 4 cups. 64 ounces = 4 lbs, 1/2 gallon, 8 cups, 128 oz = 8 lbs,1 gallon, 16 cups. People think the metric system is more modern but what can be more modern than a binary system used in virtually all computers?

Reactions: gwpercle

Registered

Ruger sells them in a 3-pack for the LCR

Registered
Any computer geeks out there? The metric system is a "base 10" just like the number of fingers on your hands. The US system of weight and liquid measurement is a binary system (octal base). Think: 8 ounces = 1/2 lb, 1 cup. 16 oz =1 pound, 1 pint, 2 cups. 32 oz = 2 pounds, 1 quart, 4 cups. 64 ounces = 4 lbs, 1/2 gallon, 8 cups, 128 oz = 8 lbs,1 gallon, 16 cups. People think the metric system is more modern but what can be more modern than a binary system used in virtually all computers?
There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary and those who don't

Reactions: frog4aday

Registered
I'm coming up on my 14th year as a moderator on this forum so yes, I have become "twisted" by all of the rhetoric. Time for a nap.
You deserve an award for that ... but all I have is a big Thank You Iowegan !
Have always enjoyed your answers and advice .
Gary

21 - 40 of 58 Posts