Ruger Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
I have toyed with the idea, but just can't stand the thought of spending as much on a bow as a new gun costs.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I have toyed with the idea, but just can't stand the thought of spending as much on a bow as a new gun costs.
I think if you put it all down on paper just what it cost ya so far to shoot bullets, burn powder and so on. Then compare what it cost ya in Bow Equipment... arrows if your good will only cost you so much, some cases you can find real good ones used even.

I went out yesterday and practiced bowshooting about 50 times at my target yesterday... in my front yard. It didn't cost me a thing, not anything but excersise and time spent. And none of my neighbors even minded...... and I do have houses very close by.

Now if I had pulled out my rifle or handgun to shoot.... it would have cost me alright.

It would have cost me my firearm because I was shooting in the congested area of the county... alot of neighbors just don't like that kind of thing :D it would have cost me the primers, powder and bullets for target practicing with.

Now in reality for shooting we go out into the county, like up to my uncle and aunts place, so now I got to drive and burn gas to get there.

So really does a new bow cost as much as a gun... no.

But to each his own.

It will lengthen my hunting season because with my job I have to work now mon - fri. Our bowhunting season starts Sept 1 our General Rifle season starts Oct 26th. So this broadens my available hunting days, which just might allow me to fill more tags than the last year.

You all have a good one.

BTW ratgunner whacha got for bowhunting?

·
Registered
918 Posts
I have gotten out of bow hunting and have thought about getting back into it. I have an older PSE Thunderflight Express bow that I really like to take out and shoot. To me bow hunting is a great challenge and a lot of fun.
Terry

·
Code Slinger
2,203 Posts
What I like about bow hunting is you can practice in your backyard without suppressors.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I tried shooting a bow with my oldest son some years ago and talked about hunting but found I just didn't quite have the knack, or the patience for the practice I would have needed. I would probably do as good in the woods with a ball peen hammer.:D

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I used bow hunt, JB. Just kinda' got away from it after I left the farm. There just isn't another sound like a broadhead hitting a Whitetail Deer! The time spent in a tree stand, waiting for that trophey buck is something to cherish. You see so many things that Mother Nature holds in her world. Your right abut the cost, sure, to get set up with good equipment is a little expensive at first, but you can fire an arrow many, many times before you finally need to replace it. I have some that are 20yrs old & are still good enough for range arrows. Enjoy your new sport. It will reward you with a lifetime full of memories.:) And while your sitting in that tree this winter, freezing your buns off, think about all of us poor souls that just walked into the woods with our trusty 30-30's, filled our tag & had to go back home & waste the rest of our day sitting by the fire with a glass of bourbon cleaning our rifle!:D:D:D

·
Registered
758 Posts
I've bow hunted on and off since '68, and there is nothing else like it. It's a beautiful time of year to be in the woods and if you make a kill, it's a bonus for being out there.

·
Registered
131 Posts
JB,
Yup, I really enjoy it. Here in Michigan it adds 6 weeks to the front end of deer season and 4 weeks to the back end. My deer bow is a Hoyt, and I have an old recurve that I use for fishing and pheasants ( yes, I said pheasants )To tell the truth, I've only killed 2 Pheasants with my bow in 4 years, but that's why they call it hunting instead of killing. My bird arrows are scrounged at yard sales and garage sales so if(when)I lose one, I'm not out too much.
Brian

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

When I found my Mathews Solocam Black Max 2, it had just come out of pawn in a shop... it was fully dressed with fiber optic sights, stablizer, wrist strap, Mathews Quiver, and Quicktune 1000 arrow rest. If I had purchased this brand new it would have cost $1,055.99, but it was marked just $200.00 This bow shoots 330 fps, and I have never seen or used anything this fast before.

I purchased some used arrows to use while deciding on which carbon arrows to purchase... found a great mech release. The used Easton XX75 arrows all matched for $2.00 ea with field tips, and rolled great... none were bent. Found some others with 150-gr BH's on them but at $2.00 ea, I can let someone else be happy if they need them.

My wife bought me 1/2 doz Carbon Express Terminators and 125-gr field tips fleched with Blazer Vanes :D Now later that afternoon a guy I know had 15 carbon Arrow Dynamic Nitro Stingers that I got for trading some .308 mil surp 120 rd battle packs, he also gave me an extra Golden Key arrow rest...

Now yesterday a shop I know gave me some dock foam that is now made into a great target... these are not cheap if you price them in an archery supply, they are $$$$

The only thing I want to change on my Mathews Solocam is the arrow rest, and I do believe I see one of two differant rest... one is a Trophy Taker or the Whisker Bisket. I know people that have either one, and well each is very fond of what they got.

Yes, the hunting season has been extended... The prospects during elk season just got better with either sex available to take during bowhunting season, and the same thing with whitetail, mulie and blacktail.

I do believe Ruger would be smart by adding bow manufacturing to their lineup... I know but its just a thought :D

Here is a pic of my Mathews Solocam Black Max 2 while it had the Easton XX75 arrows in the quiver. Oh one more thing, the elk antler was found out in the woods while hunting one year.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Looks nice JB. When I was shooting my bow I used a burlap sack full of pieces of old cloth until I finally bought a foam target.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
JB right now I got a Bowtech Liberty.Shoots great.That Mathews you got looks sweet.BTW ya gotta try the carbon arrows,they wont bend and they are cheaper in the long run 'cause they last longer.;)

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Ratgunner, the Easton XX75 are put away... I got carbon arrows now, and well... ya just don't go back to alum after you shoot carbons.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts