Ruger Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my trusty 10/22 to the range. I've only made two upgrades to it: new stock (so my wife can shoot it) and a Nikon scope. It still has the factory barrel, action, trigger etc. Below my target at 25 yds 4 shots with bulk ammo:

Looks like my setup is accurate to 1 MOA. Would it be sub MOA if I wasn't using bulk ammo? The rifle has always been accurate enough for my needs. Just curious.

·
Corps Commander NGV
5,159 Posts
Your rifle is doing great. I wouldn't change a thing. It obviously likes the load you are shooting. If you move back to 50yds you might see the difference. Match ammo is very consistent, but your rifle may not like the specific load you pick even as well as what you are shooting now,

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Looks great. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

On a side note. I've always found in the larger calibers (since I also reload), match grade ammo isn't worth the extra cost and doesn't really hold a candle to my reloading for consistent acracy. But it's the big difference is the cost.

Reactions: sparkyv and Tacky

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
Looks great. I say if it ain't broke don't fix it.

On a side note. I've always found in the larger calibers (since I also reload), match grade ammo isn't worth the extra cost and doesn't really hold a candle to my reloading for consistent acracy. But it's the big difference is the cost.
Plus 1+

Only centerfire match i can say is awesome is the federal gold medal match .308 168 hpbt, i duplicate that in a reload.

I think the match 22 ammo works better if your shooting 100 yards, or further. Then yes match is great when you find what works in a particular gun. Closer ranges, smoke what your gun likes.

·
Registered
395 Posts
There is incredibly good match .22LR ammo out there that is incredibly expensive.
In any 10/22, not worth it.

Some Bulk ammo is horrible, others aren't so bad.
In my rifles standard velocity ammo seems to be more accurate (more consistent) than HV but each gun is different.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,182 Posts
There is incredibly good match .22LR ammo out there that is incredibly expensive.
In any 10/22, not worth it.

Some Bulk ammo is horrible, others aren't so bad.
In my rifles standard velocity ammo seems to be more accurate (more consistent) than HV but each gun is different.
I disagree, i have a custom 10/22 i built that with cci green tag match 40 grain i shoot 12 gauge hulls at 100 yards with it. Standard ammo i couldnt get the same results being consistant.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My .22s like CCI Blazer and it out shoots many of the higher priced ammo. Give it a try.

Match ammo will make a difference if you are shooting bullseye competitions but only a point or two so it may not be worth it unless you are a Master Class shooter.

If you can find it, still not the upper class ammo, try Wolf Match Extra. It's one of the few that outshoots my Blazers.

Here is 10 shots of Blazer from my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 at 25 yards from a rest.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
One of the differences between match ammo and bulk ammo is box to box consistency. For instance, we shoot a lot of the Federal Auto Match bulk stuff. Most of the time it shoots well in some of our guns, but, now and then, we'll get a box that is definitely sub par with some underpowered rounds that don't cycle in our 10/22 Sporter and, of course, accuracy declines, too. The next box is fine, though.

Then, too, not all 10/22s are the same in their ammo preferences. We've had some 10/22s that responded very well when fed match ammo and others that didn't. Same for the bulk stuff. As always, you can't make blanket statements about any model of 22 as far as ammo preferences. Have to take each gun and see what it likes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If you are a match competitor, the difference between a .250, and a 2.75 group means a match win or loss, then yes, the match ammo is worth it. If you're not a serious competitor, then no, its not worth it.

·
Registered
4,062 Posts
Plus 1+

Only centerfire match i can say is awesome is the federal gold medal match .308 168 hpbt, i duplicate that in a reload.

I think the match 22 ammo works better if your shooting 100 yards, or further. Then yes match is great when you find what works in a particular gun. Closer ranges, smoke what your gun likes.
I agree. If I'm buying match 22 ammo, I always try buying in bulk to get the same lot for better consistency. Same usually for the "lesser" brands if that's all that's available. It keeps the Grandkids happy and well practiced. They could care less about consistant, they just like to shoot. :)

Reactions: peredehuit

·
Registered
105 Posts
Yes match ammo matters. There is a reason it costs so much more than bulk ammo.

You won't really see the differences shooting so close though. Move out to 50 and 100 yards and you'll start seeing the big differences in ammo.

Also measuring, don't you measure the largest part of the group edge to edge?

This was 50 yards CCI AR Tactical out of one of my new rifle builds

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes match ammo matters. There is a reason it costs so much more than bulk ammo.

You won't really see the differences shooting so close though. Move out to 50 and 100 yards and you'll start seeing the big differences in ammo.

Also measuring, don't you measure the largest part of the group edge to edge?

This was 50 yards CCI AR Tactical out of one of my new rifle builds

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
I don’t know how to measure groups. I was just mimicking some of the pictures I’ve seen in the forum. I don’t shoot in competitions. I’m not sure so want to.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Match grade ammo matter some of the time in some guns for some purposes. You have to figure it out for yourself. I have no need of it but I don't shoot benchrest or even precision rifle or pistol any more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts