Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to put a SBH hammer on my blackhawk, but all I see are stainless steel hammers. Do they sell blued ones?

Thanks

·
Registered
31 Posts
I wanted to put a SBH hammer on my blackhawk, but all I see are stainless steel hammers. Do they sell blued ones?

Thanks
No, they are stainless. I have one in brand new condition blued. If you want it, it is available. It is on a reblued 3 screw SBH (not a new model or conversion hammer). Just let me know. Thanks

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,222 Posts
Marksman77, Here's what the 3 different Blackhawk hammers look like. They are NOT interchangeable. The hammer on the right is for a New Model BH, the center hammer is for an unconverted Old Model BH and the hammer on the left is for a converted Old model BH with a transfer bar. Note the absence of the hammer plunger on the conversion hammer (left) and note the absence of a top step on the standard Old Model hammer (center).

Reactions: flgolfer29

·
Registered
31 Posts
Marksman77, Here's what the 3 different Blackhawk hammers look like. They are NOT interchangeable. The hammer on the right is for a New Model BH, the center hammer is for an unconverted Old Model BH and the hammer on the left is for a converted Old model BH with a transfer bar. Note the absence of the hammer plunger on the conversion hammer (left) and note the absence of a top step on the standard Old Model hammer (center).

Yes, did I say anything to the contrary above? If so, I apologize.

·
17,222 Posts
You can't really tell unless you are familiar with Blackhawks but al three of the above hammers are blued. There is no bluing on the sides of any Blackhawk hammer.

Marksman, Many people don't know there are three types of hammers. Your post says your blued hammer came off a 3-screw (non conversion old model), which should be like the center hammer in my photo. Point being .... Ruger didn't make stainless hammers for Old models so the OP has a New Model Blackhawk and your hammer won't work because of the absence of the top step for a transfer bar.

Like dannyd said ... stainless hammers look good on a blued gun, which is why Ruger no longer sells blued hammers.

·
Registered
315 Posts
One tip I've found when swapping my regular BH hammer for a SBH stainless hammer on a blued gun is add a stainless trigger as well. To me it ties the look together, this is one I added to my 45/45 ACP NM Blackhawk, I swapped both the trigger and the hammer for stainless ones

·
Registered
315 Posts
Montana, I did the same thing with my NM BH. I also installed a steel grip frame from a SBH.

That one looks great! I tried the stainless hammer and blued trigger on my first swap and it just didn't feel right to me so I ordered the stainless trigger too. They're only $15.99 on MidwayUsa

·
Registered
99 Posts
"Do they sell blued ones?"

have you called them yet? they've always been helpful when i've spoken with them..

·
17,222 Posts
Ruger hasn't shipped a Blackhawk with a blued hammer or trigger for several years so I doubt if they sell blued ones.

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
My 2015 blued steel Super Single-six came with stainless steel trigger and hammer and I like both the looks and rust resistance quality very well.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I’m with Bob on this, I much prefer blued hammers on blued revolvers.
This, of course, is a matter of individual taste. I even don't like that blued hammers are "in the white" on the sides. So I blued the hammer on my Single Six. I think it looks better, some may think otherwise. But the gun is mine, and in that case my opinion is the only one that counts. Now that said,.....I am looking for a replacement grip frame (that's what made me stumble on this forum). My Single Six was made in 1978. Some a-hole hit the bottom of the trigger guard on some hard surface, and it has a "nice" dent in it (my son-in-law who gave me the gun as a present, had it in his possession for about 20 years, and he got it damaged like that on the gun show in Cali) . Hence,....I need a "new" frame. I would prefer steel/blue one, brass would be my second choice, stainless my third, and the original aluminum, my last. IF I find a stainless GF, I would put stainless hammer, and trigger on that revolver. To me, it would look like "it's meant to be". Somebody else might disagree.
Well,....I haven't found the GF yet (in any shape or form), so we'll see.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts