Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I asked this question on my other thread, but I thought that this would give it more visibility. Sorry if this seems spamming to some of you.

I would have an option to get Single Ten and an used .22mag cylinder from a stainless single six. The main question is that will it work on the ten? I've had few retailers say that it will work. Also the reviews on 8 shot cylinder for single six at midway indicate that it is a drop in part. Of course its two shots more to that.

·
Registered
396 Posts
It seems like you would not have the correct timing.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I would think, you would have to change the hand too, since it's fitted for the smaller ratchets of the 10-shot cylinder.

I had a 10-shot S&W 617 and the hand was very thin, because there are so many chambers, the ratchet teeth are tiny. A 6-shot cylinder won't be compatible.

Plus, since it's from a different gun the other cylinder may not even fit.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
I remember trying this once, and finding that there was some interchange that works. I just checked again, and yes... it APPEARS that the Single Six cylinder functions correctly in the Single Ten. The reverse however, DOES NOT work correctly, the Ten cylinder in the Six.

Just for entertainment purposes, it APPEARS that the Six cylinder does indeed function correctly in the Single Ten frame, I WOULD NOT ATTEMPT TO SHOOT THIS COMBINATION.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I suppose if those 8 shot cylinders work, then would a 10 shot in a six shot and vice versa.

Wouldn't even 7 shot cylinders timing be off in 6 shot if it was only up to how the hand rotates it?

Weblance: what do you mean that it rotates only in one direction?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
Weblance: what do you mean that it rotates only in one direction?
NO... I meant that the Six cylinder works in the Ten, but the Ten cylinder does not work in the Six. I guess that was a bad way to state what I meant.

stalkingbear said:
You can't shoot .22 mag out of a .22LR revolver. The .22 mag is .224 diameter jacketed with the bullet inside the case while the .22 LR (which the single 10 is) is heeled type bullet the same diameter as the case which is .222. NO WAY would I shoot .22 mag out of a .002 undersize barrel. Not only would it raise pressures dramatically over regular pressures, but accuracy would take a heckova hit even if you did get by with it on pressure.
It has been common practice with S&W Long Rifle revolvers, to convert a second cylinder, and shoot 22 WMR from them. Accuracy is excellent, and there are no issues.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yeah, well have to see if will go there. If can't be sure that the mag cylinder will work, I'll go with single six or da revolver.

·
Banned
3,167 Posts
Someone correct me if I'm wrong - doesn't the Single 10 use a pure 22lr 0.222" tube, whereas the Convertible Single Six 22lr/wmr uses a 0.224" tube?

So even if the cylinder dropped in and timed properly, you'd be pushing a bullet with a diameter too large for the barrel.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Weblance- have you miked the S&W revolvers? It DOES raise pressure considerably when attempting to shoot .22 mag bullets (which are jacketed) .224 diameter in a barrel that's only .222. I've been there, done that, got the T shirt! It's sort of like running around your house naked or riding a bike 200 mph- you might get by with it awhile but that don't make it safe.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,405 Posts
I haven't actually tried interchanging a Single-10 cylinder with a Single-Six or vice versa but the frame is the same, as are all other internal parts except possibly the pawl. I know if I were going to do a swap, buying a pawl sure wouldn't be a game changer ... and it might even work with the factory pawl. Worst case, you might have to swap pawls when you convert from 22 LR to 22 Mag.

BTW, since the OM 22 Single-Six convertible was introduced, all Single-Sixes have been shipped with .224 bores .... even the run of Bisley 22 LR only and the Standard 22 LR only had a .224" bore. Bearcats changed from a .222" to a .224" bore at about the same time. Using a .224" bore with .222" bullets is NOT unsafe and accuracy is actually quite good. One thing Ruger does that really helps is ... the cylinder throats in the 22 LR cylinders are also .224" so the soft lead bullets will actually obturate in the cylinder (bump up in diameter) and fit snug in the bore. Don't underestimate 22 LR ammo .... just because it is smaller than centerfire ammo .... it still produces 24K psi chamber pressure! I've found bulk pack 22 LR ammo often have "fat" bullets ... as large as .225" so these tend to shoot better in a Single-Six than premium ammo with .222" bullets.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Lowegan I didn't say it was unsafe to shoot .222 bullets out of a .224 barrel, I said it's unsafe to shoot .224 bullets out of a .222 barrel.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
16,405 Posts
stalkingbear, Sorry, I didn't read your post right. The part about running around your house naked kinda threw me for a loop. You are right, chamber pressure (actually barrel pressure) will elevate if you shoot .224" jacketed magnums in a .222" bore. Many people have successfully made these conversions, even if it is not a good idea.

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
22 Long Rifle ammo varies quite a bit in diameter, from brand to brand. Here in the USA, Winchester 22 LR ammo measures .224 ~ for that reason, I shoot it in my Single Ten. It offers excellent accuracy.

Dont get caught up in the .222 vs .224 bore argument. The Single Six/Ten is very accurate with its .224 bore. Here is a target I shot freehand at 10 yards when I first was checking out my S-Ten. I later found the Winchester ammo shot even better. The pink square is a Post-It note, and measures 3x3"

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Simply said as possible:

Any Ruger .22 single action made after Serial # 150,000 in 1959 has a .224" Groove diameter and will safely shoot .22 LR and magnums, period. Therefore that shouldn't even be brought up for the OP's question, it's a non-issue for the OP.

When chamber count increases, like from 6 to 10, the cyl hand is required to be slightly shorter because the cylinder doesn't have to rotate as far from one chamber to the next. And the shape of the two teeth on the hand become more critical. Therefore, cyls with less chambers will often work in guns with hands fitted for cyls with more chambers.

There's no rule, and all parts have some variations, the cyls just have to be tried to know if they will work. If the cyl rotates far enough to lock up in line with the barrel, it's safe to shoot. That's all there is to it.

As with all cylinder swaps, the main issue is overall cyl length. Is it too long or too short to fit the cyl window? Too long is simple, dress down the gas ring on the front of the cyl to fit the frame.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
In my case the chamber count would decrease from 10 to 6. Does that make any difference?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts