Ruger Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was thinking about this the other day. Do you think the Ruger teaches new shooters bad habits? Or perhaps just one bad habit in particular. On the Ruger you have to pull the slide using two fingers, this is the incorrect way to work the slide on most any other handgun (As demonstrated here http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/edu2.htm). I don't think this is any reason not to teach new shooters on the Ruger but I could definitely see this creating bad habits.

Your thoughts?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I dont realy think its a bad habit to use the thumb-finger method,, its just that with the .22 cal blowback action the springs arent realy as heavy as with a centerfire pistol. i know i use the thumb-finger method for my MKII but any ceterfire i have shot i automatically switch back the the full handed slide rack.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
But for teaching someone who had never shot a pistol before I think it teaches them an improper way to work the slide. I was guilty of doing this myself until I read Don's website.

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,039 Posts
David the Gnome, I understand your issue but here are a few important points .... The Ruger MK Series pistols do not have a slide, they have an inner bolt. This is a totally different design than a traditional pistol that does have a slide. As such, there is a different "manual of arms" for operating the Ruger pistol. This would include pulling the bolt back, operating the thumb safety, and any function related to double action.

Bad habits?? No, just a different function for a different pistol.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
In my 45 years of shooting, I've only and always jacked the slide with the thumb and finger of my off hand-never had a problem with this-easy to control the barrel's direction and much more natural for me than the p.c. way Jeff shows...the strength to jack a slide is not much, anyways-I wouldn't worry about it-this experience has been with bigs, littles, cheaps, and high qualities...no difference...

·
Registered
842 Posts
quote:Originally posted by sheepdog

In my 45 years of shooting, I've only and always jacked the slide with the thumb and finger of my off hand-never had a problem with this-easy to control the barrel's direction and much more natural for me than the p.c. way Jeff shows...the strength to jack a slide is not much, anyways-I wouldn't worry about it-this experience has been with bigs, littles, cheaps, and high qualities...no difference...
sheepdog, except when I want to clear a loaded weapon and catch the chambered cartridge it's easier and more natural for me to do it with thumb and forefinger too, course us old guys is tough and strong:)
Baker

·
Registered
366 Posts
I use the off handed thumb and fore finger method too ! I never figured any other way ? I guess me and pops(my father is the one who taught me to shoot) have big hands and don't have a problem doing it. Hmmmmm?

·
Registered
3,613 Posts
Besides, I feel like we should be familiar with all kinds of guns, from single and double action revolvers to autoloaders, and with all types of rifle and shotgun actions too. I find it so funny when you watch COPS and they find somebody with a SA revolver and the cop has absolutley no idea how to unload it!!!!

·
Registered
366 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

Besides, I feel like we should be familiar with all kinds of guns, from single and double action revolvers to autoloaders, and with all types of rifle and shotgun actions too. I find it so funny when you watch COPS and they find somebody with a SA revolver and the cop has absolutley no idea how to unload it!!!!
Thats funny ! I thought that I was the only only one who noticed that !

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have always used the offhand thumb and fingers across the top of the slide on a centerfire autoloader. Maybe this is incorrect but works for me and allows good control of the weapon.

This method shown uses the heel of the hand and thumb, not comfortable to me.
The Mk series is totally different and requires you to grasp the cocking ears to pull straight back.
What cracks me up is the Steven Seagal/Bruce Willis method of checking for a loaded chamber. By using a finger to push back the slide from the muzzle end just far enough to see if a cartridge is chambered. I just can't get that to work for me.
gunman42782 - I saw that just the other day on one of the Cops shows and my wife couldn't figure out why I was rolling on the floor laughing so hard! The cop ended up leaving it on the hood of the car.
That actually happened to me one time back in the 80s. We had an officer that was a vereran cop, and had never shot a single action gun. We carried DA revolvers back then. I watched him try to figure out how to open the cylinder to check for loaded condition on an old H&R 22 if I remember correctly. I eventually took it away from him and showed him how to eject the rounds in the chamber.

·
Banned
282 Posts
Who says that is the incorrect method? There is more than one way.

·
Registered
6,621 Posts
I can't do like Jimbo showed us-my weak hand is really weak-broke it about 5 years ago and it won't do some things it used to...so let me throw another thought out...normally, I use my thumb and forefinger...but, if an EMERGENCY came up when your weak hand was injured or holding on or holding onto the perp, this old man's way of jacking the slide works well...for an EMERGENCY...take your finger off the trigger and put all four fingers on the grip-rake the rear sight and top of the slide down your pantsleg/hopefully jeans leg sharply and until you feel the slide hit the rear then let it drop...it will work to chamber a round or dump a dud one-handed...in an EMERGENCY only....may ruin your britches but who cares....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts