21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16,998 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
tried disasembly as per how to videos but its rusted stuck i guess, really cant see why but it is stuck. may have to soak it with penetrating spray.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know this thread is a bit stale. That absolutely is an old and very beat up Winchester Model 12 Field Grade. The OP is very lucky. One of the Cardinal rules in shooting a firearm is to know and use the appropriate ammo for the firearm. A shotgun in that condition is not a good time to start guessing as to what ammo it takes. Thankfully, no one was injured shooting a 20 ga in a 16 ga. Had it been a 12 ga. the twenty gauge shell would have gone down the barrel getting stuck in the forcing cone. If that had gone unnoticed and had a 12 ga. shell been chambered and fired you would have had a classic 12/20 burst barrel with possible serious injuries. This is why all modern mfg 20 ga shells are yellow, so they are instantly recognizable and don't get mixed up with 12 ga. shells and get accidentally placed in a 12 ga shotgun.

The best thing to do with that old-timer is to take it to a gunsmith for a complete cleaning and evaluation of it's condition and whether it is safe to shoot. If you are not willing to do that, sell it to someone who is or put it up in the attic and forget it.

I would also caution forum posters about not guessing or giving bad info to admittedly inexperienced shooters. There is nothing wrong with saying you don't know something. Don't guess. Anyone not instantly recognizing the iconic Winchester Model 12 from that picture probably shouldn't be giving advice about shotguns.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Kroil and Break free, some 0000 steel wool will clean and loosen just about anything, soak rusted parts with the Kroil and let it seat, mix equal parts of both and work the surface and once you get it apart, each and every part with the steel wool with the mix on it. You'll be amazed how clean and smooth you can get it work, just time spent. And 4 of 5 make sure what caliber or gauge it is before you fire it!!!

21 - 26 of 26 Posts