Ruger Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my MK IV, 22/45, even after installing a Volquartsen extractor. I read of others having this issue and it turned out that it was the empty case was hitting on the rear feed lips of the magazine, just before it would hit the ejector and this caused the problem. I slightly rounded off the corners of the rear feed lips on one of my magazines. This totally eliminated the issue and I then did the other 7 magazines. None have acted up since this. I took this photo from another person's post, but the fix is the same.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
No, it doesn't look right to me. Unless the Mark IV has a different type of extractor than other models, it should be squared off. Not angled and rounded.

·
Registered
211 Posts
No, it doesn't look right to me. Unless the Mark IV has a different type of extractor than other models, it should be squared off. Not angled and rounded.
When I got my MK IV, 22/45 brand new, the extractor was just like in the above photo.

·
Registered
707 Posts
The extractor in my unfired MKIV bolt looks just like that. And no - it's NOT correct. Just like the firing pin and several other areas, Ruger went overboard with some of the changes they've made.

The edge of the extractor should be flat, with only the bottom corner slightly rounded over like this:

Completely square is bad, but so is completely rounded. Try a new extractor first. VQ makes a good one, as does Power Custom and some others. Pick up a spare or two at the same time. They do wear out with a lot of use.

As for the mags, I can't emphasize enough that it's a BAD IDEA to round off the feed lips!!! This is a horrible "fix" for stovepipes. IF the lips are knocking the round off the bolt (big if), it's because the lips are not adjusted properly. Mags with rounded lips loose the ability to control the round as is goes up the feed ramp and hollowpoints and short OAL rounds will tip up and hit the top of the chamber mouth. The only fix when that happens is to buy new mags.

I did the rounding to all 10 MKIII mags I had. I just finished trading away the last of them at 3-for-1. I now have 3 good mags and 1 rounded. The rounded one sits in a box and never gets used. You've been warned!

·
Registered
211 Posts
As for the mags, I can't emphasize enough that it's a BAD IDEA to round off the feed lips!!! This is a horrible "fix" for stovepipes. IF the lips are knocking the round off the bolt (big if), it's because the lips are not adjusted properly. Mags with rounded lips loose the ability to control the round as is goes up the feed ramp and hollowpoints and short OAL rounds will tip up and hit the top of the chamber mouth. The only fix when that happens is to buy new mags.
I did the rounding to all 10 MKIII mags I had. I just finished trading away the last of them at 3-for-1. I now have 3 good mags and 1 rounded. The rounded one sits in a box and never gets used. You've been warned!
Based on my experience with my MK IV,22/45 Target, I disagree:
I had this problem with all eight of my mags, on a regular basis. I started by rounding off the corners on one and ran a couple hundred rounds through it without one problem. I did another and had the same result. I then did the other six and they all now work 100%. Your results were different, but it worked for me just fine.

If someone is having this issue, sacrificing one mag is a small price to pay, to see if it works.

·
Registered
707 Posts
If someone is having this issue, sacrificing one mag is a small price to pay, to see if it works.
I started with one mag. And the stovepipes ended. That's why I did the other nine. That's not the issue. The issue is those mags barf with some ammo as described, and the rounding mod is not reversible.

Bending the feed lips inward a little makes the ends sit a little lower and accomplishes the same thing, but is reversible.

My MKIII has in excess of 20k consecutive rounds with no failures of any kind - using any ammo I find to put in it. Don't blame the ammo when your mags start feeding it into the chamber mouth. It's this stupid irreversible mod. That's why I was happy to trade those mags away at a big loss. Reliability is king with me and I don't measure it with just a few hundred rounds of ammo my gun "likes".

I'm glad the you're happy with your mags, but I stand by my claim that it's a bad mod. Others have had to replace their mags too and will support this claim. Try getting a new mag and adjusting the lips. You'll see that they can run 100% as well.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I installed the Volquartsen "Exact Edge" extractor in my MKIII about 6000 rounds ago. Consistent, reliable extraction. The Exact Edge virtually replicates the stock Ruger extractor but is made with hardened machine steel. So here is a good photo of what your extractor should look like :)

·
Registered
35 Posts
A member named Bullseye,who has not posted for awhile, had a fix for this.
The guy really knows his way around the Ruger pistols and he says the feed lips should set about 1/16th or so below the ejector to stop the case from hitting the lip before hitting the ejector.
I have found this to be true.
On the MK1V the problem could be caused by the magazine ejector holding the mag up a tad high.
I would try a few mags with the mag. ejector removed before grinding on the magazines.

·
Registered
660 Posts
TandemKross.com has a great video on how to tune your magazines. I did it on all of my 20 magazines and I get no jams from any of them on my MarkIV 22/45 Lite or my son's gun.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great advice, thank you to everyone. I will try them and report back. I plan to be at the range on Friday (Thursday US time) to try some different ammo, a modded magazine, and the magazine ejector. This last one will be last as I have the VQ grips on it and the mag ejector helps to clear the magazines quickly in timed matches.

I have ordered an after market extractor but I imagine it will take 4 weeks to arrive.

·
Registered
271 Posts
A member named Bullseye,who has not posted for awhile, had a fix for this.
The guy really knows his way around the Ruger pistols and he says the feed lips should set about 1/16th or so below the ejector to stop the case from hitting the lip before hitting the ejector.
I have found this to be true.
On the MK1V the problem could be caused by the magazine ejector holding the mag up a tad high.
I would try a few mags with the mag. ejector removed before grinding on the magazines.
How would the magazine ejector hold the magazine up high when its spring pressure is pushing the magazine downward?

·
Registered
707 Posts
How would the magazine ejector hold the magazine up high when its spring pressure is pushing the magazine downward?
The mag release forms a pivot point on the front of the mag. The mag ejector pushes down on the front of the 22/45 base, which tends to move the bottom towards the rear and the rear feed lips up.

The rotation is the opposite direction for other models because the mag ejector pushes down the rear of the base on those.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I had the exact same problem with my MK IV, 22/45, even after installing a Volquartsen extractor. I read of others having this issue and it turned out that it was the empty case was hitting on the rear feed lips of the magazine, just before it would hit the ejector and this caused the problem. I slightly rounded off the corners of the rear feed lips on one of my magazines. This totally eliminated the issue and I then did the other 7 magazines. None have acted up since this. I took this photo from another person's post, but the fix is the same.
I assume you mean you rounded the "front" corners of the rear feed lips as opposed to all corners, correct? I ask because I can't quite make out the rear corners for comparison.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I assume you mean you rounded the "front" corners of the rear feed lips as opposed to all corners, correct? I ask because I can't quite make out the rear corners for comparison.
Yes, just the front corners. Don't take too much off or the bullet will flip up prematurely.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts