Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ones I have seen in the past do, you can tell by the seam down the middle of it. The one I just purchased has the cast? Stainless steel hammer with no seam... I was thinking, that Ruger may have done this to create more mass, for the light strike, and heavy trigger issues on this gun?:confused:

·
Banned
402 Posts
MIM ( machine injected metal ) parts I have seen have a small dimple or two on the part depending on size, It;s the spot the metal was injected into the mold.
Cast part most times have the seem from the two parts of the mold.
Many seems are polished off and not a good indicator.
I don't think there is a big difference in mass to weight in the two processes.
Many, many entry level firearms use MIM parts to day. Better guns also. the process has become standard with many manufacturers.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
MIM ( machine injected metal ) parts I have seen have a small dimple or two on the part depending on size, It;s the spot the metal was injected into the mold.
Cast part most times have the seem from the two parts of the mold.
Many seems are polished off and not a good indicator.
I don't think there is a big difference in mass to weight in the two processes.
Many, many entry level firearms use MIM parts to day. Better guns also. the process has become standard with many manufacturers.
Well, I have to respectfully disagree with you. I know my hammer is NOT MIM. My trigger is very MIM, and has a seam in it, and is hollowed out. A cast part WILL weigh more than a MIM part.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.