Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mine do, specifically a .357 flattop and my .45ACP Birdshead.
The ejector housing screw is always the first to get loose, then the bottom one right in front of the trigger guard. The other four very rarely shoot loose.

I suppose I could put a drop of Locktite on them, but tightening them up has become part of my cleaning routine.

Anyone here have the same issues?

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
I put a drop of Blue Loctite on the screws of my 9mm convertible Blackhawk, after a few hundred rounds so far, no problems.

I didn't think Red Loctite was needed, blue should be good enough. If they still loosen up, I'll just use the Red.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I put GunTite on the foreend screw of my Single Seven, after the ejector housing came off, and a neighbor at the range found the screw.

My SAA design guns are accompanied by the special screwdriver set that Dillon sells. Two of the guns are 44 Magnum, so I have to keep a constant watch. Since having one of the guns worked on and the gunsmith treating all the screws, there hasn't been a problem. My Uberti 38s are not a problem, but the Uberti 45 needs attention to the screws. I suppose eventually they will all have treated screws.

·
Registered
397 Posts
If you don't have a few screws loose, then you're not shooting them enough.

Checking for loose screws on my Blackhawks and Super Blackhawks is a part of the cleaning process.

·
Registered
308 Posts
One of my Blackhawks did. Think it was a 45 Colt with heavy loads (I have about a dozen).

I also use nail polish, especially on scope mounts.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I think we all have/had the problem. I've used blue loctite on mine that exhibit the problem. And yes it will usually be the ejector houser screw, or the screw in front of the trigger guard. When I first get a gun, I do check the screws after the first shooting sessions (and during). After that, just occasionally if no problems found. In one case I had to change out the ejector housing as it wasn't allowing the screw to fully seat. New one solved the problem.

I think someone else suggested fine nylon fishing line as well for getting the screw to stay in place.

·
Registered
3,571 Posts
Yes. Every time I shoot my 45acp birds head my screws come loose and I got to have a 45Ct version. My wife agrees, my screws are loose every time I talk about a new Ruger.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Clear Nail polish works for the screws on my 2 SBHs.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yep, same here. I started cleaning my new Flattop 357/9mm convertible after the first time out and noticed a gap between the forward end of the trigger guard and the frame.

Checking them after every range session now.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
I always set the screws with Lolktite. For the ejector housing, I place a little silicone or other type of sealer adhesive under the housing before seting the screw down tight. Works for me, even using steel ejector housings.

Bob Wright

·
Banned
29,619 Posts
I would use red nail polish as mentioned. My 45 colt blackhawk is 38 years old with 75 k rounds including 25 ruger only loads and about 2000 rounds of ruger only plus loads and never had one screw loosen. By ruger only plus loads I mean 335 grain swc loads at 1500 fps. I will not list the load and do not use it anymore.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Got about 400rnds of 357Mag through my Vaquero since I last took it apart. I usually put a light dab of blue loctite on the screw. Nothing's rattled loose so far.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
Mine do about every 75-100 rounds. I just carry a screwdriver set with me and make sure to use the proper head size so that they don't get buggered.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
My Birdshead .45 ACP came with red loctite on the screws from the factory, when I took it apart to get the factory oil out I had to "pop" the seals on the screws with a properly fitted screw driver.

I use Blue loctite, if it works it works. I think Red is overkill, unless you have a stubborn screw that comes loose even with Blue, which doesn't seem likely. S&W uses Red on the crane screw of new revolvers.

I could see a CAS shooter using Red LocTite, since those guys shoot 10's of thousands of rounds and you don't want anything flying off your gun in a competition when an ejector screw you forgot to check works loose.

I don't make it a habit to take my SA's apart unless I need to, so if the screws stay tight I'm fine with it.

·
Registered
5,732 Posts
I could see a CAS shooter using Red LocTite, since those guys shoot 10's of thousands of rounds ...
First Red LocTite, IMHO, is the wrong stuff to use. There are many other ways of solving the problem when under heavy recoil.... Which brings up another point ... From what I've seen on youtube, the CAS shooter is shooting mousy loads (cap guns maybe? :p kidding ) with minimum (if any) recoil. pop pop pop.... Doubt it is a concern there!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all the input, I may go the nail polish route next time I shoot the guns.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts