Ruger Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
When I was a 14 year old runny nose kid, my uncle invited me to his deer camp. He downed a nice six point on opening day at sunrise. He brought it back to camp and hung it by its hind legs from a tree branch.

While my uncle returned to the hunt to drive for the rest of us, a couple of pointers from one of the locals got at it. It was astonishing how high them critters were able to jump. They did a job on the deer's front legs.

My uncle was not at all impressed. He commanded me to get in the truck. Together we drove to the local's house. My uncle was steaming by the time we arrived. He intended to inform the dog owner of the incident and why letting them hounds run free during buck season was not the brightest idea.

I was told to wait in the truck. My uncle got out and slammed the door. A second later the door opened. My uncle, not saying a word, looked me right in the eye as he laid his holster and side arm on the seat next to me.

Then he went to have a talk.

·
Registered
388 Posts
A discussion should not happen if a pistol is needed. He should have calmed down or waited for the courage to build on its own.

·
Banned
3,158 Posts
A real jerk if he shot the dogs!

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
I think someone missed the point he did leave the firearm in the truck before going to talk to the dog owner. Apparently no dogs or humans were shot in the encounter.

·
Registered
5,333 Posts
I think someone missed the point he did leave the firearm in the truck before going to talk to the dog owner. Apparently no dogs or humans were shot in the encounter.
Exactly this

·
Premium Member
3,265 Posts
I don't hunt any more due to bad hips and eyesight. But during my thirty years of hunting in Oklahoma, I would shoot any dog I found trailing deer during deer season. It was illegal and unsportsmanlike to use dogs. No one ever complained to me as I did not know anyone who would use dogs to hunt, rather, I knew no one who would "admit" they had deer hunting dogs because they would have been fined very heavily if the game rangers arrested them. In the early 2000s I began to work in Arkansas. Dogs hunting deer were legal there but I told them they were not in Oklahoma and would be shot if tracking during deer season. Several of my employees told me very quickly that shooting a deer dog in Arkansas could result in the shooter being shot. I believed them.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yep, the lesson learned was cool thinking. My uncle never said a word when he laid down his side arm on the front seat next to me. I learned a lot of good from his actions that day.

Nashoba, I am originally from western PA. Huh, in our corner we too shook our heads sadly at deer chasers :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Where I hunt up north the rule is to shoot any loose dog in the woods during deer season.
I have seen dead dogs in the forest. I never shot any. But one season the warden said to shoot a Great Dane if he's loose. Never seen it.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Missed the point alright.
Pays to read ALL the post.....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts