Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Exchequer
4,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You wonder just what goes on in a dogs head sometimes. Would be interesting to see how that journey was made in a couple of days! Cleo had to cross at least x1 river and journey 50 plus miles! That is amazing. Love dogs and it is good to read something positive these days! Had large hunting dogs as a kid and the past x3 decades we have had Dachshunds with a few mixed breads. Loved them all and more than most humans.

What goes on in a dog's head?

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts
Fi-Scruffy Snow.JPG

My Fi (Great Dane) and Scruffy (Terrihuahua) in happier times. 120# vs 12#. Fi was Scruffy's protector, Scruffy was devoted to my wife and never left the house without her. Fi loved just about everyone. In the eight years she was with us, she only disliked three people among the parade of contractors we had. In this pic, we shoveled a large space so they could do their business.

Fi lived to 12 years and four months: ancient for a Great Dane. We were blessed. Scruffy lived to 13 years - shorter than we would have anticipated, but kidney failure from Lime's disease eventually did her in.

They joined us our first day on our farm, and both are buried here. When I was home and weather-permitting, Fi and I would enjoy two-hour walks through our woods and stream. Every day, and sometimes twice a day. I will forever love them, but Fi is very special and is the only mortal being that reached out to me "from beyond" to let me know she is "good". Twice! She fortified my spiritual beliefs.

No successors, sadly, but two horses and two barn cats that used to be feral but are now tripping hazards. All were here with Fi and Scruffy, so not really successors but remainders.

Love all you can on your precious pooches and kitties and whatever other critters God has blessed you with. Time with them is fleeting (unless it is a parrot or a tortise...)

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
I do have a companion to my dogs, my new zealand grey rabbit, surprisingly they all get along and are friends.

·
Spellign Bee Champ
15,315 Posts

Great with kids, tough on squirrels. Best Dachshund we ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Storm, my Labrabull still hasn’t harmed any squirrel. Some close ones.
But, she earned the title The Opossum Assassin 😉

·
Registered
177 Posts
View attachment 145264
My Fi (Great Dane) and Scruffy (Terrihuahua) in happier times. 120# vs 12#. Fi was Scruffy's protector, Scruffy was devoted to my wife and never left the house without her. Fi loved just about everyone. In the eight years she was with us, she only disliked three people among the parade of contractors we had. In this pic, we shoveled a large space so they could do their business.

Fi lived to 12 years and four months: ancient for a Great Dane. We were blessed. Scruffy lived to 13 years - shorter than we would have anticipated, but kidney failure from Lime's disease eventually did her in.

They joined us our first day on our farm, and both are buried here. When I was home and weather-permitting, Fi and I would enjoy two-hour walks through our woods and stream. Every day, and sometimes twice a day. I will forever love them, but Fi is very special and is the only mortal being that reached out to me "from beyond" to let me know she is "good". Twice! She fortified my spiritual beliefs.

No successors, sadly, but two horses and two barn cats that used to be feral but are now tripping hazards. All were here with Fi and Scruffy, so not really successors but remainders.

Love all you can on your precious pooches and kitties and whatever other critters God has blessed you with. Time with them is fleeting (unless it is a parrot or a tortise...)
What a beautiful pair. We had a Husky and a Te
rrier that were best friends forever. The husky passed at 11 and we were worried about the terrier. He cam into his own and blessed us with another 7 years. All of our friends reside in our own special place where we see them daily on our walks with our current crew.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Nice Looking dogs, folks! Always good to have a companion with a cause. My old rescue dog (7 year old malinois ) doesn't justify a picture but he's pretty good on guard. Let's me know when the UPS man is in the driveway or when things aren't quite right around the place. He's my PITA pal and a money pit but dern I love that ol' dog. Man thing.

·
Exalted One
1,691 Posts

Great with kids, tough on squirrels. Best Dachshund we ever had.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Neither my Fi nor our Scruffy ever hurt squirrels, although they have endless times chasing them and barking at them. Squirrels would congregate on our deck to police up bird seed: up to a dox=zen at a time. My Fi would watch them from the screened in porch adjacent, for years. When my wife would head on down to the barn in the AM and for lunch, our pooches would accompany. The dozen-or-so squirrels on the deck felt the need to get off the deck and into their "safe trees", even though they were perfectly safe. The deck was 12' above ground-level...

Upon opening the garage door, our Fi and Scruffy would rush out and charge to the back yard, awaiting the "raining of the squirrels" that would inevitably come. If the squirrels weren't suitably cooperative, our Scruffy would bark - essentially saying "come on!".

And so the squirrels would begin their descent to ground level, running back and forth for a good place to get down from 11' above. Scruffy would keep pace. Some squirrels jumped from our deck rail - a good 15' above ground level - and charged off to their "safe trees".

Through it all, I observed a few things:
1) Our Scruffy wasn't chasing a squirrel as quickly as she could run.
2) The squirrel wasn't running as quickly as it could.
(conclusion: it was great fun for both)

3) My Fi - a Great Dane not really known for their agility - only once actually caught a squirrel. It basically ran straight into her mouth, but Fi's leg gave out (from a previous ACL injury) and she yelped and let the squirrel go unharmed (it probably had serious "street-creds" from that).

I seriously believe neither of our dogs would have really wanted to hurt these squirrels. In her 8 years with us, our Fi only killed one critter (mice not included): a good-sized groundhog she percieved as a threat to us and her Scruffy.. It wasn't, but it was something she logically considered a threat. Pure instinct and protection for us all.

We love our squirrels, and there is one (with only one eye due to an injury) that I have been hand-feeding peanuts for the past three years (off and on). Given the chance, I feel both our pooches would have been very good with them. Now it is up to me.

·
"The Real Deal"
6,764 Posts
Neither my Fi nor our Scruffy ever hurt squirrels, although they have endless times chasing them and barking at them. Squirrels would congregate on our deck to police up bird seed: up to a dox=zen at a time. My Fi would watch them from the screened in porch adjacent, for years. When my wife would head on down to the barn in the AM and for lunch, our pooches would accompany. The dozen-or-so squirrels on the deck felt the need to get off the deck and into their "safe trees", even though they were perfectly safe. The deck was 12' above ground-level...

Upon opening the garage door, our Fi and Scruffy would rush out and charge to the back yard, awaiting the "raining of the squirrels" that would inevitably come. If the squirrels weren't suitably cooperative, our Scruffy would bark - essentially saying "come on!".

And so the squirrels would begin their descent to ground level, running back and forth for a good place to get down from 11' above. Scruffy would keep pace. Some squirrels jumped from our deck rail - a good 15' above ground level - and charged off to their "safe trees".

Through it all, I observed a few things:
1) Our Scruffy wasn't chasing a squirrel as quickly as she could run.
2) The squirrel wasn't running as quickly as it could.
(conclusion: it was great fun for both)

3) My Fi - a Great Dane not really known for their agility - only once actually caught a squirrel. It basically ran straight into her mouth, but Fi's leg gave out (from a previous ACL injury) and she yelped and let the squirrel go unharmed (it probably had serious "street-creds" from that).

I seriously believe neither of our dogs would have really wanted to hurt these squirrels. In her 8 years with us, our Fi only killed one critter (mice not included): a good-sized groundhog she percieved as a threat to us and her Scruffy.. It wasn't, but it was something she logically considered a threat. Pure instinct and protection for us all.

We love our squirrels, and there is one (with only one eye due to an injury) that I have been hand-feeding peanuts for the past three years (off and on). Given the chance, I feel both our pooches would have been very good with them. Now it is up to me.
Well both my dogs are outdoor dogs, the rabbit resides inside, in a cage. Well i was unsure how the dogs and rabbit would get along. Well one evening had the dogs inside and somehow the rabbit got out. Well i walked in the kitchen and they were hanging out togather, it was crazy. My 105 pound black lab was actually kinda scared of her. But they seemed to know they were family. Was the same when my little girl arrived. They are protective over my daughter, and me of course. If i go out in the yard Molly, the chocolate lab is never more than 5 ft from me. Jake the black lab kinda goes ahead inspecting everything. They do alert when sonething isn't right.

However the only thing that makes them violent is the weed eater. They both hate that thing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Layla. A rescue that was supposed to be a Jack Russell mix. I believe that to be correct, but I'm sure that some of her DNA is Pitt Bull. Jaws like a steel trap, but gentle as a lamb. It shows more as you look straight into her eyes. Don't let the slim build fool you. I've seen her whip a groundhog around like s tuffed toy, and she'll bring in turkeys as well. Best dog I ever had.

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
I could read these dog threads and enjoy the pictures all day long. I never had an indoor dog (full time) until we rescued Lucy about 10 years ago, (a bichon) and we guessed her to be about 3 or 4 years old. She was such a sweet little girl, and my wife's best friend. Unfortunately we lost her to an enlarged heart about 3 years ago. The house seemed so empty after she was gone. It took about a year and a half before my wife would let another dog into her life, the pain of the loss was about the lowest point in my 60 years on this planet.

Then the tasmanian devil arrived, Captain, and things got lively quick. He can look so innocent and loveable, then the Toy Poodle puppy comes out and he terrorizes all of his toys. He stays in the wife's lap, or right on her heels while I'm at work. As soon as I come home he's all over me, actually sleeps on top of my legs or right next to me.

I just don't see how anyone can't love dogs. I'm good with cats too, but they are their own bosses. Well, Captain doesn't listen either, but he pretends to sometimes. Let's see some more dogs!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
I've owned both , dogs when I was younger and had children .
I'm pushing 70 now and have reverted to two cats ... the cats are much less high maintaince .
The wife and I got trapped in another state for a few days... I don't think the cats even realized we wern't there ... they come and go by a little kitty door and got a young raccoon friend to come in and open the bag of cat food for them and they all had a party ... pretty smart of the cats to get a friend with thumbs to open the bag ...everybody drank out the toilet ...
They didn't need us at all !
Gary

21 - 40 of 41 Posts