Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading thru the "do you carry at home" thread and thought I'd see what people have in the way of animal and/or electronic protection in and around their properties. right now, all I have is handguns.

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
A Rottie as a house dog. Sleep has a hard time slipping up on her.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
A 100+ lb German Shepherd in the house. We had 5 at one time ( not all in the house). Nothing gets past their senses. Not even a fly.

The wifes cats are kinda worthless in the guard aspect, unless an armed mouse enters their domain. :D .

·
Registered
21 Posts
- Alarm system,
- 10 Video cameras with motion sensors and SMS alerts,
- 10 Outdoor floods (150W Quartz-equivalent-LED; and 300W Quartz) triggered by multiple stand-alone motion sensors, as part of whole-house automation system
- its a pretty big property

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
125 lb Lab that would go home with whoever came in and a 8 lb mini schnauzer who barks at his shadow. The Lab sleeps with me so my S&W 44 Mag has to prevail.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Come on by one night and you'll find out!:p
Seriously though, three freakin' Chihuahuas that would wake the dead. Good news is they only bark when something is up, so I'm armed by the time I look.

·
Banned
2,657 Posts
One of our garage cats weighs 30 lbs. and WILL break your ankle if it runs at you full speed and rams your leg.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
Have three dogs, if I listen closely I can hear their tails wagging when someone comes in.

·
Premium Member
2,991 Posts
I live in a rural town, my dogs are now gone. But all my neighbors have dogs. I can tell from their barks when its cats or owners and when its an unknown human in the area. I get up for that bark.

·
Registered
7,847 Posts
Motion lights around the house and 4 dogs.

3 will bark if they hear things (Vizsla, Brittany, LBD [little black dog]). And then the Catahoula who is silent as a ghost. He finds my wife when somthing doesn't feel right and parks at her side or sits in front of her.

He is truly a protector. Jim Bowie always slept with a Catahoula, and I understand why.

·
Registered
17,079 Posts
My Lab is a good watch dog, unless the person throws a stick.

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
I can rely on Princess, my cat, to be on guard.
LCR9, LCR357, Glock 26 and LC380 all reachable in nano-seconds just in case Princess falls down on the job.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
Does a Parakete count??:confused:

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
I have a cat. Not much good for early warning. When she alerts on something, you don't know if it's an axe murderer or a moth.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
thanks for the cross section of replies. (the yawning cat reminds me of old times when we had 3 cats). I have a friend up in Ct. who is an installer for ADT, he's put equipment into small to some big/expensive properties. at his house he has the usual alarms and video. he can dial a number and watch house video on his phone from anywhere. as much as he likes the tech and the company, he does admit that the time from when the alarm is tripped to when LE shows up, it's on the homeowner to do what it takes to stay safe.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Two 100 + lb American Bulldogs keep me well informed on whats going on inside and out... great dogs, loyal ,obedient and excellent protectors . Yeh I have two farm cats also they keep the mice away

1 - 20 of 26 Posts