Ruger Forum banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Grand Inquisitor
1,756 Posts
I do not wish to pile on here, but a new Colt King Cobra at my LGS has a sticky cylinder latch. Beautiful workmanship, on the visible parts, but “pretty is as pretty does.”

The counter commando and I each offered his boss 100 bucks for the gun. No dice.

·
Super Moderator
4,058 Posts
I've already announced my lack of enthusiasm for Pythons in general but I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss the new version. It seems like it might have a teething problem but I suspect Colt will get it sorted out pretty quickly. Patience Grasshoppers.....

·
Registered
629 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
How is colts Customer service on warranty repairs?

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Back in the 1980's, a group of Colt's engineers went to management with a series of modifications they wanted to implement on how to make a better 1911. They were shot down so hard, a group of them threatened to leave if Colt would not at least consider some of these changes. These were mechanics who wanted to take pride in what they were building. Colt called them on what they thought was a bluff. This group left and established Kimber's line of 1911's.

I'm not certain Colt learned anything from this incident.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 1976 Python that belonged to my late father. I want a new one, but not this. I have a Cobra I'm disappointed in. Nowhere near the quality of my Ruger GP100.

·
Registered
52 Posts
If not reliable?

Seems to me the main advantage of a revolver is that it is super reliable. It also seems like Colt should have the mechanics of the Python down pat. How do you screw it up?

·
Registered
169 Posts
GoldenWebb on YouTube put up another video. Another 2020 Python owner has reported a different type of problem. The cylinder rotates, but the hammer does not actuate. Go to 4:06 of the video to see that being demonstrated.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I do like my revolvers but when it comes to absolutely needing something that works every time, I'll stick with my autos (191's, Glocks & a S&W). Yes, I've had the occasional jam with autos but I've never had one quit completely. Clear the jam and keep going. And in the last couple of dozen years, none that I couldn't attribute to my reloads. On the other hand, I've had revolvers quit on me twice but they didn't work again until I got them home and torn them apart. Once my Model 19 quit due only to a piece of sand that wouldn't allow the cylinder locking pawl to retract!

As to the Python, it's a really nice looking piece but the price is way out of my price range. I wouldn't mind having one but it will have to wait until after I win the lottery! And then I'd probably buy an old one!
Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
7,992 Posts
Colt has a big headache on this ...

·
Registered
180 Posts
Older Colts

As Crkckr said, it doesn't take much to disable a revolver.
I've had a firing pin break @ 400 rounds on a HB Security-Six, the forcing cone split on a 6 inch Security-Six both were '79/'80 production.

I've seen S&Ws bind-up from holster crud, as have Colt Trooper MK-IIIs.
I've seen others rusted to death, pried from holsters that have shrunk onto them run just fine. (after a dunk in diesel fuel and the holster cut off of them)

Older Pythons, and Detective Specials/Cobra/Police Positives go out-of-time.
It's a quick and easy fix for a competent Colt Armorer, often without a need for new parts.

Regardless of maker, there are a lot of fidgety bits in that bolt/pawl/hand/trigger/hammer group.

I'm wondering (not having a new Python nor new Cobra to pop-apart with my Babbitt hammer) if Colt hasn't tried to "solve" a problem by making these parts somewhat independent of each other. The pawl won't bind the hammer, the hammer won't bind the hand, neither bind the bolt and in doing so, they've invented a new problem.
Our new handguns will never jam! Great idea.

They just won't fire. And as ideas go, that one is not so much.

I've had revolvers quit on me twice but they didn't work again until I got them home and torn them apart. Once my Model 19 quit due only to a piece of sand that wouldn't allow the cylinder locking pawl to retract!

Cheers,
crkckr

·
Registered
372 Posts
According to the gurus at my LGS, no surprise here. The Anaconda had the same issues when it was released back in the day. Colt will sort it out, just like Sig did with the P320. I have a new model King Cobra, so far, so good.

·
Registered
65 Posts
In the 70s, in a 750 man LE department, there was 75 Smith & Wesson’s, mostly mod 19s for every one Colt. The Colts were pretty, but we believed the Smiths to be more reliable.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts