Ruger Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I finished shooting up a couple hundred .44 specials and magnums and also some .32 magnums. Wanting to be as efficient as possible I thought I would toss all of them into the tumbler together. Now being the experienced reloader that I am :D I knew from past experience that mixing .40 S&W brass and 9mm brass together was a no no since the 9mm will lodge itself inside of the .40 during the whole polishing process.

But I KNEW that the size differential between the .44 and .32 was enough so that I wouldn't have that problem. Well fortunately I checked the progress after only thirty minutes and found all of the .32 cases stuck inside the .44 cases.[:0] Not just case mouth first but the .32 rim is just the right size to go into the .44 case and get locked in with the media. There were one hundred .32 cases that had to be pulled and for some I had to use needle nose pliers.

The only benefit I got out of this is to be able to pass this on to others so they may avoid the same pitfall.:)

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
I hear ya. I have been there, done that, with 9mm and .45ACP brass. It is aggravating.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
quote:Originally posted by gunman42782

I hear ya. I have been there, done that, with 9mm and .45ACP brass. It is aggravating.
+1

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
yep, and picked up some 357 one time that had 32acp(I think) stick inside. Didn't notice until I got on the press with it 'cause it was way down in the bottom of the case. decapper wouldn't work, spent awhile scratching my head, then I had to throw them away. about a dozen out of a couple hundred.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm another one that's been there, done that. Corncob media really lodges them in tight and it's aggravating to pull those suckers out with needle nose especially if there's more than a few.:)
Baker

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you don't notice it until the end then you end up with a lot of unpolished cases. I tried some .45 ACP and .357 cases today just to see what would happen. They get stuck together too. Oh well

·
Registered
85 Posts
It only takes once to learn that. I did it with 9MM, .40, & .45 cases. I had some with three cases stuck together. Never again. It's a pain to get some of them apart and they don't get clean on top of that. Sounds like the .32's were real tough to get out of the .44's

·
Registered
755 Posts
You can also take some of the "really stuck" ones out, with Your RCBS kinetic bullet puller ! Don't ask Me why or how I know this !

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
I think we all have done that at one time or another. I pick up a lot of m/t's at the range and still get one every now and then but I sure don't mix them anymore on purpose.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.