Ruger Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A guy form over at Savage Shooters has this, I have never seen anything like it, he brought this up about a year ago, but didn't have a pics of it. Thanks, Les

I was a member a few years ago when I inherited this Savage from my grandfather. This is the first time I have taken any pictures of it and I hope someone can give me some history on this gun. The story I was always told was that this is a prototype of a slide action rifle that Bill Ruger was attempting to produce with the Savage 99 as the base.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Well, it is for sure a Savage 99 that has been converted to pump action. Weather Bill Ruger did it would be hard to prove. Ruger did convert a 99 years ago to an autoloader. But I never have heard of him making a pump action out of one.

·
Registered
702 Posts
I don't know, as the pictures do NOT show ANY form or type of a "pump action" (op rods, etc) and knowing the "inside" of that action, I 'd have to "ask " where???????
Just looks like an "extra" build-upo of wood to the fore-arm, again, "why"??? the picture does show a bottom "edge" of a "williams/Redfield" 'peep sight, thats about all..................

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rugerguy, look close at the pistion of the fore arm, and then look at the trigger group, it's for real, I talked to few Savage collectors and they all are pretty sure it was one that Mr. Ruger did too, wanted to get some Rugere guys thoughts.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Out of my 'realm' passed the pics on to my gunsmith and he said the same thing. Makes no sense to have a wood forearm, (has to be supported by a metal liner attached to the op rod, of some kind and to put this over the existing wood forwarm??????????When rearward, it looks very "flimsy" but again, the pictures are not the best, hard to tell and besides, what it doing out of "any" sort of 'museum', to quote him?????
My only sources of info are both long "gone" deceased and worked on just his sort of stuff back in the old days. You may contact Jeff Munnell, the author, maybe he knows of MORE info. Heck anything is possible and I sold all my old Savages years ago, tired of screwing around with 'right' handed guns' when I'm 'left handed.
Good luck, hope you find something MORE out.....

·
Registered
3,241 Posts
Very interesting, man you can see and learn all sorts of stuff here.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Interesting indeed but looks awful weak in the forarm area. I've heard the Bill Ruger was a man who looked at other designs and that he was a fan of the savage 99. But i think ruger could had done much better than that which is pictured.

But....who knows for sure? Maybe someone in the Ruger family would know more.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts