Ruger Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have previously posted on here that my wife has fairly advanced Dementia and a host of physical problems and my "retired job" is caring for her. I've discovered I'm not alone on here.

This a very short but pretty good article on what you could be facing in the future as we all age. The links on here may be as valuable as the article. It is good food for thought. The figures given here are breathtaking, but they're spot on.

One thing and I'll get off my soapbox on a Sunday morning. The #1 thing said about my wife through this whole experience is "but she's too young!". And I belong to a pretty active forum where I've come to realize how young the Dementia/Alzheimer's illness can hit. And it's my personal experience how fast it can hit and how blindsided you can be.

From USA TODAY. Caring for parents with dementia is draining

It takes a village - and lots of money - to care for a parent with dementia

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
it is a horrible situation. the disease steals the personality, the memory and basic demeanor of a person until only the shell remains. I saw two ladies I loved dearly become profane, combative and even violent. those things were 180 degrees from who they were all their lives.
one lady, my grandmother, had been a fine Christian who never spoke ill, nor uttered a foul word in the 80 plus years of her life, until this disease took her. she then became physical abusive and as foul mouthed as the stereotypical drunken sailor.
I pray you and your lady.

·
Registered
590 Posts
My mother had dementia and my father had Alzheimer's . I understand. It takes a lot of patience. I belonged to a focus group for caregivers and that helped a lot.

·
Registered
3,891 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you folks. I mean that.

I did not understand until it happened to us the truly breathtaking amount of money this can cost. I can still take care of my wife at home ok, but at some point that may change. When that happens it can be like a firehouse gushing money.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
I can relate to the OP. My Mother had Parkinson's and I was her caregiver 24/7 the last three years of her life (she was diagnosed, but functional, for 15 or so years previous) . It can be very draining physically, mentally, and monetarily taking care of a loved one. Parkinson's in the latter stages can be very similar to Alzheimer's in many respects.
I'll keep you and her in my prayers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts