Ruger Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys I am wanting something a little bit larger than my lc9 to mount in my car. I have been looking at AK pistols and AR pistols. Anyone have any thoughts on this or have seen any mounts to put it on the transmission hump. I drive a 2012 camry if that helps.

·
Registered
35 Posts
No thoughts on mounts but I do have a Mini Draco and love it. This thing rocks with every type of steel cased and brass cased ammo I have tried. Pretty accurate with a mini red dot on it.

MadDog

·
Banned
29,620 Posts
I would use a handgun. If you fire a rifle round from a handgun in an automobile you may do ireprebable damage to you hearing with one shot. A a handgun roundwill be bad but not nearly as bad. The decibel scale doubles sound intensity every 3 decibels or so. A rifle round is 20 -30decibels louder than a handgun round.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
No thoughts on mounts but I do have a Mini Draco and love it. This thing rocks with every type of steel cased and brass cased ammo I have tried. Pretty accurate with a mini red dot on it.

MadDog

I'm a big fan of the AR15 platform and I am currently building a 7.5" AR Pistol but you really can't argue with MadDogDan's set up :eek:

·
Premium Member
1,324 Posts
Well, I'm not sure I would light mine off inside the truck, but this is how I transport mine between points a & b. Custom $2.00 yard sale tennis racket case! :D

·
Registered
35 Posts
As much as I love shooting my little Mini Draco, I would never touch off a round without hearing pro inside an auto or outside or anywhere for that matter. This thing is very accurate but loud as hell. I have two 7.5" AR's chambered in 5.56 and 6.8SPC. The 7.62 Mini Draco is much louder then either of the others.

Best $450 (for the Mini Draco without accessories) I ever spent.

MadDog

Another picture for your viewing pleasure.

·
"The Real Deal"
7,203 Posts
I too owned a draco for a couple years. but have since sold it. I really liked the draco, i added a single point sling and swivel to the rear of it. I had also added a krink style compensator on it to reduce the muzzle rise and somewhat muzzle blast. I got rid of it after taking it to the range several times and couldn't sight it in. The front sight post was so crooked that their wasn't enough adjustment to allow you to sight it in. So that limited me to either installing a redot and rail set up of some sort or installing a laser. Neither really appealed to me and most AK's weren't designed to have optics so your options are limited. However the reliability was great, and it was a fun pistol to shoot. Mine was a Romak by century. The negatives of the draco for me were that it had alot of muzzle blast being a short barrel, it kinda awkward to use a sling setup tightened to your shoulder to allow you to use the irons but do-able just not alot of accuracy. You were limited on optics and mounts unless you had a setup light maddogs, with the front rail, or ran a beryl style rail and removed the rear sight, or used a galil style handguard setup with top rail. Don't get me wrong I really liked it but found that it wouldn't perform for my particular uses. I have shot several Ar pistols as well, my favorite being the Rock River PDS. Its a gas piston design and runs as reliable as the draco however its much more expensive. The pds doesn't have a buffer tube as the other direct impingement AR pistols have , rather a 1913 rail section in its place, so its not as long or awkward. You have the same issue with the sight picture as the draco. The optics are far and wide since anything that bolts on the AR will work with the AR pistol as well. The foward charging handle which is ambidexterous also works great. However its still blasty as the draco with the short barrel, but if you add a Noveske KX3 also known as a flaming pig, it will mitigate the blast and force it forward. The biggest negative of the PDS is the price, it not cheap but its a great gun. I would also look at what I already own. if you have an AK than the draco and alot of the standard parts will work togather, mags, ammo, etc. If you have an AR than the pds will do the same for the most part. Just my own observations. Hope that helps!

Maddog, nice pistol, like how you have it setup.

Here is the one I used to own pictured with one of my Ak variants a few years back..

·
"The Real Deal"
7,203 Posts
The beginning of my pistol build...should be done by next weekend.

I would have to swap that single stage trigger for the 2 stage, and I also see that you are a magpul fan as well, all but one of my rifles has been magpul equipped, yet another thing we have in common. You may also consider a enidine shorty hydraulic recoil buffer, might help you manage it a little better since there is no stock. Looks like your on the right track. Good luck buddy!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The beginning of my pistol build...should be done by next weekend.

I would have to swap that single stage trigger for the 2 stage, and I also see that you are a magpul fan as well, all but one of my rifles has been magpul equipped, yet another thing we have in common. You may also consider a enidine shorty hydraulic recoil buffer, might help you manage it a little better since there is no stock. Looks like your on the right track. Good luck buddy!
Thanks Tacky. I actually plan on replacing the trigger with a Chip McCormick. Other than the pistol buffer tube, I built this with all the extra parts I had laying around :D. I never thought of using the hydraulic recoil buffer. To be honest, I don't know much about them nor have I ever tried one. I'll definitely look into it. The project should be done by the end of this week, I'll be sure to post pics. Thanks for the input.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts