Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need help. I have a new 10/22 that I want to shoot ratshot with. It will not cycle. I bought a light charging handle spring and cut links out of it to lower the strength of the spring. I could not get the spring to allow it to cycle the rounds. I cut the spring until it was too weak to close the bolt and it would not fire. Does anyone have a 10/22 that will cycle ratshot? If you do please tell me how you got it to work.

I use smooth-bore 22's to shoot dragonflies as practice for wing shooting. I have had the 10/22 barrel smoothed but I cannot get it to cycle help!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Are they Cci shot shells? Couldn't help other than It specifically states on package not for auto-loading rifles. Works fine in my marlin 39A and savage bolt action, though.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Yep, CCI shot shells don't cycle worth a damn in a 10/22.
There's not enough omph in them to blow the bolt back.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Tried all different ammo

Have used both Winchester and CCI it will not cycle with either. I know the ammo says it will not cycle but that is with stock parts. I am trying to find a way to modify the spring to get it to cycle. I have been told by several folks that it can be done but I have not had any luck. The advice was to cut links out of the spring until it works, but I cut and recut until the bolt would no close so the gun would not fire. It is an issue of the force it takes to close the bolt vs. the force it takes to cycle the bolt. I do not know what else to do. If it is possible I thought someone on this forum might know what to do.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The only other things I can think of that would help to make it work would be to polish the bolt and the inside of the receiver. That would help to reduce the amount of friction the shell has to overcome to blow the bolt back and the charging spring to close the bolt.

The charging spring needs to have enough strength to strip a round from the magazine also.

Another area that might help to reduce friction would be to have the lower rear of the bolt ramped (there's a guy on eBay that offers this service along with squaring the bolt face and adjusting headspace)

·
Registered
422 Posts
The only other things I can think of that would help to make it work would be to polish the bolt and the inside of the receiver. That would help to reduce the amount of friction the shell has to overcome to blow the bolt back and the charging spring to close the bolt.

The charging spring needs to have enough strength to strip a round from the magazine also.

Another area that might help to reduce friction would be to have the lower rear of the bolt ramped (there's a guy on eBay that offers this service along with squaring the bolt face and adjusting headspace)
I just polished mine and the wife's rifles last night. The difference is day and night in the slide action. I just installed a KIDD bolt that comes with 3 springs for different velocity ammo, but I don't think a 10% reduction is going to cycle a quiet round. Other guys claim it will, but I will say that the springs are much longer than the stock spring.

·
Registered
261 Posts
These people you talked to that told you it could be done.....Have they done it or do they "guess" it could be done? Can they show you they have done it? That bolt is pretty darn heavy and the shot and plastic shell just don't provide enough resistance to allow the backpressure to move such a heavy bolt. Sounds like you have done everything you can and are still no where close to it working and now the gun is useless until you get new parts.
Why not get a used bolt action rifle or Single Six revolver with a long barrel and try using them? What about using subsonic LR .22 if it would work for your application? I "think" they have enough power to cycle the bolt.
Darrell

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have tried the CCI .22 LR shotshells in my Remington 552 "Speedmaster," and they do not cycle the bolt in that rifle, either. They seem to be good cartridges - for their use in "pest control" - though, and the CCI webpage describing this product does state "Not intended to cycle in semi-automatic firearms." All that said, they shoot just fine in my bought-it-cheap-at-the-pawn-shop Hi-Standard Double-Nine revolver.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Need help. I have a new 10/22 that I want to shoot ratshot with. It will not cycle. I bought a light charging handle spring and cut links out of it to lower the strength of the spring. I could not get the spring to allow it to cycle the rounds. I cut the spring until it was too weak to close the bolt and it would not fire. Does anyone have a 10/22 that will cycle ratshot? If you do please tell me how you got it to work.

I use smooth-bore 22's to shoot dragonflies as practice for wing shooting. I have had the 10/22 barrel smoothed but I cannot get it to cycle help!
Don't shoot those poor dragonflies. They eat mosquitos - the scurge of the earth. Shoot the mosquitos!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanx for replies

Thanx a lot for you guys offering what you could. You are right I don't know anything more to do and the guys who said you could do it are in the gun industry but they would not work on the gun.

And don't worry there are lots of dragonflies in the world and we have shot the heck out of them almost every evening of duck season and we haven't put a dent in the population.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Thanx a lot for you guys offering what you could. You are right I don't know anything more to do and the guys who said you could do it are in the gun industry but they would not work on the gun.

And don't worry there are lots of dragonflies in the world and we have shot the heck out of them almost every evening of duck season and we haven't put a dent in the population.
Out of curiosity why shoot dragonflies?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts