Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I for one dread the Christmas season with a passion. I wish they would outlaw Christmas shopping. From Black Friday until mid-January (people stop returning everything they got) I hate life.

First, I have to fight the Christmas shopping traffic on my bus job. We all run late all day, and that means no smoke or bathroom breaks, too. Grateful mine is a split shift, so the longest I'm trapped in the seat is 3 1/2 hours........:(

Second, I have to fight the traffic when I'm not at work. You can't do your normal, everyday errands for all the #$%@! traffic. You can't go grab a loaf of bread or pick up a prescription, nothing, in peace. Once you do get whatever you needed, you're stuck in a mile-long line of Christmas shoppers at the check-outs. I hate it !!!......:mad:

Me, on a split shift, I plan what I need for presents. Then I can hit a mall at 10 AM, grab it all, and done by noon. Before it gets really crazy. One day, two hours, that's it. That's all I'm willing to do. Any worse, I'd just do gift cards.

I am grateful that the only people I have buy for are my wife and mother. No kids, or close relatives we care two cents about. Other parents have passed on.

I can barely afford it this year, and that doesn't help. I can't give the presents that I wish I could.

People that love it, that shop every day from Black Friday until Christmas Eve night, need serious medication. They should be ashamed of making us more sensible people miserable....:(...:(...:(...:(

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
While the commercialization of Christmas bothers me greatly, the long lines are of no concern as my wife and I always complete any Christmas related shopping in early fall and purposely stay away from the shopping malls during what we refer to as "the season of craziness". While we enjoy celebrating the real meaning of Christmas with family and close friends, we leave the "craziness" to others :)

·
Registered
12,990 Posts
Internet is great. Christmas shopping is done.

·
Super Moderator
21,415 Posts
My wife and I agreed when we retired we would stop buying each other presents for Christmas. Neither of us enjoyed the shopping so it seemed like a simple decision to make. One year we went to a resort hotel and enjoyed a few days there but mostly we just have a quiet meal together and enjoy the music and merriment of the season. Much less stress.

Many people get really stressed out during the season due to lack of time and money. I can see how driving a bus would not be much fun then. I had fun in my last job but there were a lot of times you would have had trouble convincing me I was having fun. My only advice is dwell on the positives, forget the negatives and make the best of what you have.

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Plus one, except my wife browses the local store ads to "hint" from. That also means I can't shop early, like Buck. That's the smart way to go!!!

Internet shopping has the drawback of slow, slow, returns if needed.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Christmas

We just returned from 3 different grocery stores getting ready for all our family; kids, grandkids, etc. We celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and our sons birthday all next week. Nearly $500 later and a TORCHER stop at Wal-Mart where I managed only ONE temper tantrum, I think we're ready. Why we ever stop at Wa-Mart is something I ask myself every time we go there ( except when i buy ammo):eek::eek:

·
Banned
4,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We just returned from 3 different grocery stores getting ready for all our family; kids, grandkids, etc. We celebrate Christmas, Thanksgiving, and our sons birthday all next week. Nearly $500 later and a TORCHER stop at Wal-Mart where I managed only ONE temper tantrum, I think we're ready. Why we ever stop at Wa-Mart is something I ask myself every time we go there ( except when i buy ammo):eek::eek:
Wal-Mart? Only one tantrum? You have great self-control. I don't care for Wally-World at all.

Nice avatar! Is that your graduation, or wedding photo??.....:D

·
Super Moderator
16,253 Posts
While internet shopping is my favorite method as well, my wife does like the actual process of going from store to store (except in the "season of craziness"). While I often go with her (and make the most fun out of it that I can), my idea of a perfect shopping trip (if I can't find it on the internet), is to:
1. Hit the store that most likely has the best selection of what I need.
2. Secure the item as quickly as possible and at the best price possible (3 to 5 minutes should do it).
3. Head to the checkout as quickly as possible.
4. Shopping completed

The only exceptions to this is if I am shopping for a new musical instrument or a new firearm where tremendous time and care must be taken to get it right the first time ;)

·
Premium Member
1,322 Posts
Money & Mag-Lites. Christmas shopping made easy! Both are something everybody needs, and gets from me. The wife and I don't do gifts, as we get what we want. She bought a SS Speed-Six, I got a new toolbox for the truck.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I do not do Black Friday shopping, tried it a couple of times and told my wife after the last one--- I would rather pay full price than go to jail for having to hit some inconsiderate idiot that do not care for anyone but themselves! All the pushing and shoving-- just crazy!!!

·
Former Hoadpiler
32,418 Posts
I get my wife a present and thats it. I'm not about to spend thousands of dollars for presents but I do shop the sales for myself.

·
Bat Man
1,672 Posts
You are not alone. A sense of dread begins building about this time of year for me and won't lift until the first week of January. I've tried to understand what exactly is the nature of this dread, but so far without complete success.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I for one dread the Christmas season with a passion. I wish they would outlaw Christmas shopping. From Black Friday until mid-January (people stop returning everything they got) I hate life.

First, I have to fight the Christmas shopping traffic on my bus job. We all run late all day, and that means no smoke or bathroom breaks, too. Grateful mine is a split shift, so the longest I'm trapped in the seat is 3 1/2 hours........:(

Second, I have to fight the traffic when I'm not at work. You can't do your normal, everyday errands for all the #$%@! traffic. You can't go grab a loaf of bread or pick up a prescription, nothing, in peace. Once you do get whatever you needed, you're stuck in a mile-long line of Christmas shoppers at the check-outs. I hate it !!!......:mad:

Me, on a split shift, I plan what I need for presents. Then I can hit a mall at 10 AM, grab it all, and done by noon. Before it gets really crazy. One day, two hours, that's it. That's all I'm willing to do. Any worse, I'd just do gift cards.

I am grateful that the only people I have buy for are my wife and mother. No kids, or close relatives we care two cents about. Other parents have passed on.

I can barely afford it this year, and that doesn't help. I can't give the presents that I wish I could.

People that love it, that shop every day from Black Friday until Christmas Eve night, need serious medication. They should be ashamed of making us more sensible people miserable....:(...:(...:(...:(
I'm not a fan of the "shopping season" either.

If you don't mind me asking what city do you live in?

It's pretty terrible for traffic here in El Paso, too. The native El Pasoans are not great drivers (sorry to generalize everyone), but when the Juarez drivers arrive this place becomes a nightmare.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
At this rate if I can't Amazon everything then you get a gift card. It's the only way I can stand Christmas shopping.

·
Registered
241 Posts
3482j might have it worse than everyone. I can't speak for Bismarck, ND, but I used to live in Minot, ND (I went to college there) and the Wal-Mart experience there is worse than I've ever been around. Simply becaue there is (well, was I haven't been there in a few years) only one Wal Mart in the city. So everyone one from Minot and all the surrounding communites would flock there during the Christmas shopping season. You'd be lucky to get a parking spot. Now that Minot is growing because of the oil money flowing through there I can't even imagine what it's like. I'm sure if I went, it would be the worst experince of my life.

·
Registered
4,955 Posts
Bearcatter, I worked retail for many years of my life and I ended up with the same attitude as you. Those long brutal hours nearly killed me, some years. Hang in there, pal.

Retirement has softened my attitude about Christmas, though. We long ago decided to forgo presents on both sides of the family and leave it to parents to get presents for the little ones. Now, it's strictly a season to celebrate and honor and be with family and friends.

·
Registered
6,450 Posts
Shopping

3482j might have it worse than everyone. I can't speak for Bismarck, ND, but I used to live in Minot, ND (I went to college there) and the Wal-Mart experience there is worse than I've ever been around. Simply becaue there is (well, was I haven't been there in a few years) only one Wal Mart in the city. So everyone one from Minot and all the surrounding communites would flock there during the Christmas shopping season. You'd be lucky to get a parking spot. Now that Minot is growing because of the oil money flowing through there I can't even imagine what it's like. I'm sure if I went, it would be the worst experince of my life.
You nailed it Montana ! And it's only going to get worse:):eek:

·
Registered
5,504 Posts
You are not alone. A sense of dread begins building about this time of year for me and won't lift until the first week of January. I've tried to understand what exactly is the nature of this dread, but so far without complete success.
I feel the same way. My dread begins around Halloween, knowing the chaos that is ahead.

I can't wait to get through the Christmas and New Years holiday season and back to normal life.

It's not that I don't like the spirit of Christmas. I fondly remember Christmas when I was a kid. But now it's been turned into something less pleasant.

I don't like the commercialization, the pressure to buy things we don't really need, and spend money better used for other purposes.

My wife and I have to stay home a lot more to avoid the incredible traffic jams, the stores and restaurants jammed with stressed out, rude people.

I wish I could just snap my fingers and jump to about... January 7th.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
When I was working, I gave fruit baskets as Xmas gifts as they were something everyone I knew would use and appreciate. Since retirement I just try and lend a helping hand or stay out of the way.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts