Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have a 10/22 all weather and I was wanting to add a rail so I can add a bipod.

I have a weaver rails from an old airsoft gun that I can use. Do you think I can find some sort of screw that is the right size and use a handrill to drill into the stock and attach the rail? I was also considering JB weld...

The last thing I want to do is mess up my stock and have a bunch of holes and what not... I've never done this sort of thing before so excuse my ignorance...

Is this feasible or do I just need to buy another stock or the railed barrel band?

Thanks

·
Registered
53 Posts
You can drill into the stock but drill thru, counter sink the area the nut will go and then get a screw long enough to fully thread thru the nut. Counter sink far enough so it doesn't mess with the barrel. Good luck...

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Hey guys, I have a 10/22 all weather and I was wanting to add a rail so I can add a bipod.

I have a weaver rails from an old airsoft gun that I can use. Do you think I can find some sort of screw that is the right size and use a handrill to drill into the stock and attach the rail? I was also considering JB weld...

The last thing I want to do is mess up my stock and have a bunch of holes and what not... I've never done this sort of thing before so excuse my ignorance...

Is this feasible or do I just need to buy another stock or the railed barrel band?

Thanks
A lot of synthetics are hollow with a rather thin wall, if this is the case with yours, then don't you just may end up with what you don't want. A bunch of unusable holes in your stock.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I tried it with mine, with a heavy steel rail from a g36 airsoft. It's not hard to get it lined with the seam there. I threaded them right into the plastic. If I would have put some super glue on the threads, I wouldn't be worried at all. The screws were also wider than typical gun screws. Plenty of room under the barrel. I eventually went with a quad rail so I could mount my scope properly.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I tried it with mine, with a heavy steel rail from a g36 airsoft. It's not hard to get it lined with the seam there. I threaded them right into the plastic. If I would have put some super glue on the threads, I wouldn't be worried at all. The screws were also wider than typical gun screws. Plenty of room under the barrel. I eventually went with a quad rail so I could mount my scope properly.
What screws did you use? I can post pics of the rail if needed.

They are basically this
UTG G36C Side Rails - Airsoft Atlanta

G36/G3SAS Side Rails (3pc) by LP - Trinity Airsoft

I have really no idea how to go about doing this. I was thinking of finding a screw that is thick enough (so the rail doesn't slide around), putting it through the rail's hole, then using a hand drill to drill it into the stock? Will that create it's own threads or will that just make a hole?

Would JB weld be secure enough? I could do that as well...

·
Registered
422 Posts
I used an 1/8" drill bit and rotated the drill around to make a slightly larger hole to start the screw, and threaded it in. They were Phillips head screws with threads that were at least 3/16". It looks like the same thing you have.

If you are thinking of getting the Nomad stock, I wouldn't recommend it. Heavy, with no cheek rest for a proper scope.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It requires some filing, but it is a fine piece of aluminum.

Amazon.com: Aim Sports Ruger 10/22 Tactical Quad Rail: Sports & Outdoors
Geez that is nearly the same price as this and you get an entire rail system.

Amazon.com: Picatinny Barrel Band for the Ruger 10/22 - Black Nylon by Superior Concepts: Sports & Outdoors

As cool as that rail system looks, I don't really plan on mounting any flashlights, or even a vert grip, I mainly just want a bipod.
Most likely this one. Since I mostly shoot at paper targets, I was looking for something to provide more stability. I figured a bipod would be better than just buying a sandbag or something.
Amazon.com: UTG Bipod, SWAT/Combat Profile, Adjustable Height: Sports & Outdoors

So to be clear, you took an airsoft G36 rail and screwed it onto the bottom of the stock? Did you have to buy screws for it or did you use the ones it came with? Also, I don't need any tools other than a handrill, correct? What exactly creates the threads for the screw? I feel like just using a normal drill bit would just make a hole..????

Sorry for all the questions (some of them are probably stupid :rolleyes:). I just want to make sure I know how to do this before I butcher my stock lol

·
Registered
677 Posts
What exactly creates the threads for the screw? I feel like just using a normal drill bit would just make a hole..????
I would guess the screws themselves created the thread i.e. self-tapping. The plastic would be soft enough to allow this given a decent screw.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would guess the screws themselves created the thread i.e. self-tapping. The plastic would be soft enough to allow this given a decent screw.
Exactly! I used a firm grip and slowly threaded them into the the hole with a little pressure. Start off with a small hole, and gradually work your way to the proper size to get the screw started. Pilot the 2nd hole with the rail mounted in place so that it lines up properly. Worst comes to worst, you don't like it, just fill it in with some JB weld, sand it down, and add a wicked paint job.

Not exactly the best angle, but here is what it looked like before.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So to clarify, you only drill far enough to get the screw started? (so basically a pretty small hole) Drill just enough to get say an 1/8 of the screw started and then just use a screw driver or drill to screw them in the rest of the way?

You drilled your holes exactly where the seam is, correct?

The screws you used didn't come with the rail right? You bought them at a hardware store? The screws that came with my rail aren't pointed at the bottom, they are flat. Do you need something similar to a dry wall screw? (pointed tip)

Thanks again for all the help, I hope I'm not bugging you guys with questions. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing.

·
Registered
422 Posts
So to clarify, you only drill far enough to get the screw started? (so basically a pretty small hole) Drill just enough to get say an 1/8 of the screw started and then just use a screw driver or drill to screw them in the rest of the way?

You drilled your holes exactly where the seam is, correct?

The screws you used didn't come with the rail right? You bought them at a hardware store? The screws that came with my rail aren't pointed at the bottom, they are flat. Do you need something similar to a dry wall screw? (pointed tip)

Thanks again for all the help, I hope I'm not bugging you guys with questions. I just want to make sure I know what I'm doing.
No problem, my screws are the same flat ones that screw into the G36 holes too. If you can find any other kinds of plastics that are similar, ( try it out on that first. Once I drilled the hole straight through, I lightly pivoted the drill in a circular motion around the hole to make it wider, and then evened out the edges with the drill perpendicular to the hole. I went back a few times before the screw would even start to thread. It won't thread by hand, you kind of have to force it with the screw driver. Slow, steady, and firm. Just make sure you start out with a much smaller bit so you have plenty of room to get your holes aligned on the seam. Drills can have a tendency to veer off to the right.

Thrift and dollar stores are a good place to look for a test piece if you're nervous.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I'm not so sure I trust myself with doing something like this. :eek:

Do you think JB weld would be strong enough? At least with JB weld I can sand it off or something in the event it doesn't hold.

I think I have some old airsoft G36 body parts I could use to practice on...

I'll take a look at it and see what I think.. I'm not sure if I still have the screws for the rail. We moved fairly recently and I threw all my old airsoft stuff into buckets and got rid of stuff I didn't want...

Thanks for the help

·
Registered
422 Posts
If it's a flat bottom rail, I would recommend rounding out the bottom a little bit with a wide radius file so that it will contour to the stock a little better.

If you are still nervous, then check out the quad rail. I have pretty big hands and it makes the little synthetic stock feel so much more balanced, and look less like a little kid gun.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
So here is the current status on the project. I noticed what you are talking about using a flat rail, it will wobble even when screwed in because of the shape of the stock.

I remembered I had an extra scope rail (which has a concave bottom), so I will use that instead of the G36 rail.

Here are the screws I'm thinking of using. Rather than creating a hole for the flat bottom screws, I think it will work better to use pointed screws because they will create their own hole????? The screws are about as long as a quarter, so they will be a longer than needed...will that be a problem? They won't be long enough to poke into the barrel, but will they not thread as well?

While I'd prefer to have a black rail, this is all I have and I don't have the tools necessary to round out the G36 rail. I taped it to hold it steady while drilling. My plan is to screw one screw in the 1st hole (furthest one to the left) and then put the 2nd screw in the 3rd hole. (so it doesn't interfere with the barrel supports)

I plan on holding onto the rail/stock, lining up the screw with the hole, and then using a drill to screw it into the stock until it can't go any further. (if that makes sense???)

Here's a rough idea of what it would look like.

Does this sound like a relatively good plan? I think these screws will hold a bit better since they are designed to basically create their own threading.

·
Registered
56 Posts
The simplest way to attach a bipod to your synthetic stock is to buy a sling swivel with wood screw threads. Then epoxy a small piece (1"long x 1/2" wide" and 1/2" thick) of wood to the inside of the stock where you want to mount the sling swivel. This gives the sling swivel screw more "meat" to bite into. Then simply drill through the stock and into the block of wood, screw in the sling swivel, and mount the bi pod. Easy....

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The simplest way to attach a bipod to your synthetic stock is to buy a sling swivel with wood screw threads. Then epoxy a small piece (1"long x 1/2" wide" and 1/2" thick) of wood to the inside of the stock where you want to mount the sling swivel. This gives the sling swivel screw more "meat" to bite into. Then simply drill through the stock and into the block of wood, screw in the sling swivel, and mount the bi pod. Easy....
That's a good idea, thanks for the input

EDIT

I've thought it out and what I'm going to do is take the G36 rail, drill 2 holes cleanly through the stock, then screw the screws into nuts. (which will be inside the stock) The rail came with some finely threaded screws, so hopefully I can find some nuts for them.

It will be pretty similar to what this guy did http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=44puJvq0GZo

·
Registered
19 Posts
When I drilled into my black synthetic stock to insert swivels for a sling, I (1) used a bit smaller than the swivel/screw and made a pilot hole; (2) carefully screwed in the swivel/screw; (3) carefully unscrewed the swivel; (4) put some Gorilla Glue in the hole; (5) put a drop of water on the Gorilla Glue; (6) screwed the Swivel/screw back in; (7) let dry overnight; (8) colored the Gorilla Glue with a black Sharpie.

Nice thing about Gorilla Glue: a little water makes it really work and as it dries, it expands so it fills in and make the swivel/screw almost like it's part of the stock.

Don't use too much Gorilla Glue because when it expands, it's hard to trim the excess.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the responses guys, I'll keep all of them in mind.

I'm going to head over to homedepot this weekend and see if I can find some nuts that are compatible with the screws I have. Seems to be the easiest way to accomplish what I want.

I'll post back here and let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts