Ruger Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might not be the proper spot for this question but, I have an older MKII that is not drilled and tapped for a scope mount. Are there places where I should or should not put the holes? I'm perfectly capable of doing the job, I just don't want to make an non-reversable mistake due to sheer ignorance.

Thanks a bunch.

·
Premium Member
2,902 Posts
I really like that Song Dawg! Any problems with the scope not staying sighted in? It looks like the dovetail holds it on at the rear. It must fit the contour of the receiver close enough that it can't move around.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Use the factory base and when you order it ask for the base mounting instructions. It will give you the correct dimensions for the hole placement, the tap and tap drill sizes and depths. If you already have the base, just call Ruger service and they'll send you the instructions. A word of caution on the rear hole. Make sure you deburr the inside of the receiver and check that the rear screw doesn't protrude through and interfere with the recoil spring. This is a fairly common occurrance. I believe the current bases accept either Ruger or Weaver style rings. Good luck.

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by rman

I really like that Song Dawg! Any problems with the scope not staying sighted in? It looks like the dovetail holds it on at the rear. It must fit the contour of the receiver close enough that it can't move around.
rman, It's been excellent. No problems whatsoever!
It prevented my MKII from being a safe queen.

SD

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Coffee Pot, Thanks for the info and the suggestion to call Ruger and ask for the instructions. It's great own a product that the maker can & will provide help after the sale. Do you think adding a scope mount will affect the value of the piece later on? Now Song Dawg, thanks for the tip on the "no drill/no tap" rail. I went to their site and checked it out and I was very impressed. That does give me something to think about before I go drilling and messing something up. It also gives me the option of removing it to put it back to "original" so to speak!

Oh boy, now what do I do??!! Decisions, decisions.

(Song Dawg, I take if from your handle that you must be a musician too. I'm a weekend warrior myself.)

Thanks all

·
Registered
191 Posts
moptop - I had it done to my old MkII and installed a red dot sight. Of course, I worked at Ruger at the time and the factory did it for me. As long as whoever does the work does a nice neat clean job, it should actually help the resale value. If you talk to Ruger service, see if you can get them to send you some filler screws so you can take the scope base off and not be staring at three open holes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts