Ruger Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What better topic for "the Tavern"? Anyway, I find it laughable that here in the home of the finest bourbon known to man, that over half of the state is dry! For those of you that don't know what that is, here in KY many of the counties will not sell alcohol. Sometimes you gotta drive 100 miles just to buy a stinking beer! Then you got some counties that are "damp", meaning they will sell alcohol in restaurants, but no liquor stores. And about the only place you can buy anything on Sunday, and then only beer, is Louisville or Lexington! As you can imagine, bootlegging is quite common here. As in most things, when you outlaw it, it makes people want it more. I think their are more drunks in these "dry" counties than in the "wet" ones!!!

·
Premium Member
2,977 Posts
That's pretty bizarre! I can't laugh though - up until a few years ago, if you wanted liquor in Kansas, you had to join a private club and bring your own bottle or go to a liquor store and take it home. All the taverns could sell was 3.2% beer. My how times have changed here.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Gunman, if I lived there, I'd stock up on beer like Sheepdog and Snuffy stock up on ammo!

Here in Virginia you can buy beer anywhere - grocery store, 7-11, gas stations, etc. Right across the river in Maryland you have to go to a liquor store.

Mmmmmm, Beeeeeerrrr......

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Blade I do like their ale and lager, not their seasonal stuff. But I heard they just changed ownership, have not been to the pub there since that happened. Weird place, just there in a business park. I also heard they no longer will have that big beer festival which was an annual thing for me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I'm usually stopping by there after the range session on my way home. Heard that too, pretty weird.

·
Registered
540 Posts
It's weird. Kinda like the states where some of the finest firearms are made have some of the strictest gun control laws. Go figure.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Gunman, you can't buy beer on Sundays in Lexington. You can get drinks in restaurants on Sundays but you can't buy from a liquor store (or any other location that sells alcoholic beverages).

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Here we have Parishes, and the city across the river is dry, so it doesn't make sense economically but they enforce it for the principle. Guess that Baptist must have a strong hold over there. Doesn't make much difference to me, I have maybe a six pack a year.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
Blade, I have been to Blue Ridge as a kid with my Dad, but haven't been back in my adult years. Would like to try it, it's convenient to me on the way home from work (I come up 50, then turn right on 28 towards the greenway). Maybe we could meet at Blue Ridge some time? You can kind of show me the ropes? I know all ranges are different, it's always a little intimidating to me to shoot at a new place. I go to the NRA range mostly (right near my office), and sometimes go to Clarke Brothers in Warrenton if I want to shoot outdoors. I'm getting a shotgun, so I'll go to Clark more often to shoot some clays.

Jimbo, a six pack a year? If I drank a six pack a year I would not be on the 'weight loss' thread!

·
Registered
693 Posts
Sure, Eddie, be my guest! :) I work late hours in DC, so we could go there together on a weekend. Perhaps, may even drink some little beer afterwards.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
quote:Originally posted by snarski

Isnt the Jim Beam distillery in a dry county? They say you can take the tour but you cant sample? :(
That is right. Most of the distillerys are in dry counties. It is just so hypocritical.

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
I live in a dry country talk about suck

·
Registered
145 Posts
The Jim Beam/old Granddad distillery is here in my town, along with Buffalo Trace and several other specialty distlleries. We are Wet, but have no Sunday sales.
The Beam Distillery has no tours and no samples just because they are B Holes. Hatefullest bunch of people inna world down there. No problem because Beam is stump water anyway.....we go 15 miles down the road and tour Wild Turkey!!! They sample.:D;)

·
Registered
947 Posts
It is hard to believe that laws like that are still in effect.

·
Registered
3,616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Makdaddy, I did not know that it was wet there. Has it always been? I could've swore it used to be dry.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts