Ruger Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
finder of holes
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Okay folks Srbanjo did a thread about questions concerning his AR15 and one of them was about how he was cleaning his lower and the hammer slipped from his thumb and smacked the bolt catch and lower receiver. I indicated to him in post #43 that there was no way he damaged anything but now after further research there is a chance that you could damage your bolt catch and/or crack your lower receiver...

Does anyone have more information on this? I'd like a response from someone who actually has first hand experience with this.

·
Registered
660 Posts
go to the AR forums,but, they all say to not dry fire the gun without something to cushion the hammer fall if the upper is not pinned in place.

·
Larry the Conservative
5,458 Posts
One slip or even a few is unlikely to damage the mag release. However, it will eventually so it's much better not to do it. In all the years I was an armorer and later OIC of an armory, I never had a troop bust one, and I know they were less concerned about it than you, Banjo or me.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
One slip or even a few is unlikely to damage the mag release. However, it will eventually so it's much better not to do it. In all the years I was an armorer and later OIC of an armory, I never had a troop bust one, and I know they were less concerned about it than you, Banjo or me.
+1

The hammer really flies when there's no bolt for it to hit.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
When I am working on my trigger group - polishing sear/hammer or playing with the spring tension, I will dry fire it repeatability but I always hold my thumb just forward of the hammer to "catch it" before it moves very far. I do not just let it fly forward.

·
Republican!!!
11,413 Posts
When I am working on my trigger group - polishing sear/hammer or playing with the spring tension, I will dry fire it repeatability but I always hold my thumb just forward of the hammer to "catch it" before it moves very far. I do not just let it fly forward.
Yeah, that's what I do. I'll usually catch it with a rag.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread. :)

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Dry fire AR lower.

I made a hardwood block that slides in and allows the hammer to hit it, similar to what you can purchase at Midway or EGW.
I can post dimensions next week if anyone is interested. Out of town for the Holliday now.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Someone sent me a PM requesting this...

I made a hardwood block that slides in and allows the hammer to hit it, similar to what you can purchase at Midway or EGW.
I can post dimensions next week if anyone is interested. Out of town for the Holliday now.
...but I cannot locate the PM or remember who sent it.

You can download a picture of it here with dimensions.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
I use a squishy foam earplug. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
33 Posts
It's possible to damage the Bolt Catch or hammer but unlikely with one hit.
If the hammer is back for maintenance, put the safety on.

Dave N

1 - 12 of 12 Posts