Ruger Forum banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I just returned from Academy with a brand new SR22. I am quite excited. This is actually for my wife, and the two of us are going to start plinking together.

The instruction manual gives safety suggestions while dry firing, and even says that the SR22 can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine is inserted.

However, from time to time I see comments from people that don't recommend dry firing a rimfire pistol. Is Ruger simply mistaken with what they say in their manual? I'm not trying to start something here, or stir up the pistol-police who hover these forums searching for opportunities to "right the wrongs".

Thanks!
The manual says you can, but I created a divot above the chamber where the pin strikes on mine and had to send it back to Ruger for repair. If yours does this Ruger will fix it free of charge. But since I got mine back it hasn’t been nearly as reliable after they replaced the slide and barrel. I get frequent malfunctions now.

29827545-1C83-41DE-97CE-29CD6E043F8E.jpeg

·
Registered
169 Posts
My wife loves the SR22. I have always dry fired it only with a mag in it and never had a problem for many years now. My only issue is that I never found it to that accurate and it seems to work best with quality ammo like CCI.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I have an SR22, I have dry fired it, and I've had no issues because of it. You will need an "EMPTY" magazine inserted to do this due to the magazine disconnect safety.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ur gonna get a boat ton of 'opinions' re dry fire. Follow the manual and you'll be fine. After all....it is the MANUFACTURES direction. Non SR22....22lr, unless the manual says so, no dry fire for me.

And off this thread goes like wild fire........:D:);)
Igggsactly!!!

·
Registered
12 Posts
There's a variety of "High Velocity" .22lr out there that most semi-autos run better...the standard velocity ammo is fine in a revolver. Funny, but my Walther PPK/s .22lr cycles both very well...I guess it's a brand thing in a way!
I have a 1950s High Standard and they advise only standard velocity ammo. Ever try to find standard velocity in the current world of hi, and hyper, velocity 22 ammo? It ain't easy! All other 22s I have use the hi velocity ammo.

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
I have a 1950s High Standard and they advise only standard velocity ammo. Ever try to find standard velocity in the current world of hi, and hyper, velocity 22 ammo? It ain't easy! All other 22s I have use the hi velocity ammo.
Without getting into the expensive match ammo, the three choices I like for SV .22LR are CCI Standard Velocity, Aguila SuperExtra standard velocity and Norma Tac-22. All are 40gr round nose.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As others have mentioned, my wife also loves her SR22. We’re a bit older and she had issues aiming with the iron sights, so I added a Crimson laser and that helped immensely. Only ammo issue I’ve had with our SR22 was with CCI Quiet rounds. These are they older version. They now make a semi-auto version of the CCI Quite but I have not tried them. They fire reliably, but not enough power to cycle the next round. I use the old version in my Marlin 22LR bolt action now. We have also dry fired quite a bit without any issues.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I just returned from Academy with a brand new SR22. I am quite excited. This is actually for my wife, and the two of us are going to start plinking together.

The instruction manual gives safety suggestions while dry firing, and even says that the SR22 can be dry fired without damage to the firing pin or other components as long as the magazine is inserted.

However, from time to time I see comments from people that don't recommend dry firing a rimfire pistol. Is Ruger simply mistaken with what they say in their manual? I'm not trying to start something here, or stir up the pistol-police who hover these forums searching for opportunities to "right the wrongs".

Thanks!
I don't like to dry fire any firearm, just maybe me. Instead I load up with snap caps or other dummy rounds.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts