Ruger Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my local "sport shop" left a message on the home phone and asked me to call them. I love it when a gun store is called a "sport shop" and when they DON'T leave a message that says "the gun you ordered is in." :)

Actually, though, my wife told me to order the SP101 .22 for my birthday. I picked it up today. The trigger pull didn't seem as heavy as others have experienced, although I've already ordered Wolff springs and will be polishing all the internals. Before doing the polishing on my SP .357 I dry fired it 1000 times. I was going to do this on the .22 as well but my dad told me I shouldn't dry fire a .22. The manual says dry firing is safe, but the manual is for all SP101s—and while this includes the .22, it is specifically referring to the older 6 shot model. So—what the general consensus on this?

·
Registered
711 Posts
I would call Ruger just to be safe, but if the manual says it's ok then it is probably so. Taking it further, as far as I know all Ruger revolvers' manuals say that they are safe to dry fire. My 10-22's manual also says likewise.

·
Banned
181 Posts
Dry firing your SP101 should be perfectly acceptable, just try not to go for a new world speed record and allow the trigger to properly reset before pulling again.

·
Registered
711 Posts
"The rifle may be dry-fired for practice as long as the chamber is empty and the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction"

·
Registered
172 Posts
I use number 4-6 yellow plastic anchors in a wheel gun they fit perfect take alot of hits and a big box is cheap insurance.

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know if it applies to every model of .22 but apparently it has something to do with the rimfire vs. centerfire and the way the firing pin hits.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I think most of us remember being reminded (more than once in some cases) by someone in our lives (my Dad and Uncles) that dryfiring a rimfire is not ok.

But Ruger definitely states both on their website, in the manual aAND in talking to them on the phone that dryfiring their rimfires is acceptable as long as the weapon is safety checked and unloaded.

I know some on this forum that would still stay that its not recommended. My take is that if Ruger says it is ok in the manual, website and with their reps, then I'm going to go ahead and do it. IF something ends up prematurely wearing out due to dryfiring, then I have full confidence that Ruger will replace or fix whatever goes wrong on your rimfire, since they are the ones that said it was ok. Ruger already has a good track record of taking care of thier customers, so I think its a no brainer they would take care of something like this. Just my .02$

1 - 9 of 9 Posts