Ruger Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I also picked up a new 10-22-22 but nowhere near the deal on $$ I've seen on here lately. To make matters worse, when I got it home and took it out of the box the first thing I did was blast the receiver area with some Gun-Scrubber to get things blown out and lubed up. It was shortly after that when I realized these new receivers are not polished like the older models. I think they're painted and then coated with a clearcoat finish.

In any case the new finish streaks, runs and gets a little gummy until the Gun-Scrubber dries off. I've got two others in the safe and they appear to be just polished. What possible motivation do you think that they had for this change.

Is it possible my old ones have stainless receivers and the new ones are painted aluminum??

Pretty disappointing start even though it is my own fault.

·
Registered
3,623 Posts
To my knowledge, all the 10/22s are painted aluminum. Put a little oil on it and the streaks should go away.

·
Banned
700 Posts
quote:Originally posted by jjfunk

The newer silver finishes on the 10/22 is powdercoat I think. I don't have a new blue model, just a twenty year old carbine that may be getting a new finish anyways.
I agree with JJ. Powdercoat or another painted process. You should be able to "rub it out". Try a car polish with moderate abrasive properties. If it's really tough progress to a rubbing compound. Remember the worst thing that can happen is to re-spray the receiver alone with one of the "bake" or epoxy paints. I recondition a couple of mine every few years this way. They look new when finished.

SD

1 - 3 of 3 Posts