Ruger Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
234 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

How long do you keep cartridges stored in the magazine? Mine will sit for maybe a month or so and when I leave on a weekend trip I take the cartridges out to give them a break and lock up everything.

Like I said, dumb question, but its been rolling around in my mind for some weeks :D

·
From Land of Fruit & Nuts
12,955 Posts
Opinions I have read are all over the board.
I think you are wise to empty the magazines occasionally.

·
Registered
5,332 Posts
Magazines loaded only when I carry.

Revolver, loaded all the time. ;)

·
Registered
76 Posts
If you carry with one up the spout and empty the piece occasionally, you might fire the round that is being ejected, at the range when you practice, and load a new one out of the box.

·
Banned
9,381 Posts
My mags get emptied out and new ammo when I go to the range,,, which is often. But I never seen any bad effect from just leaving them loaded. I leave several mags in the safe loaded all the time. My CCW mags dont get emptied that often since they have different ammo. But when I see the lint starting to build up in them, I empty and clean them.

·
Registered
871 Posts
What wears springs out is the the compressing and uncompressing of the spring thus mags can be left loaded for a long time and not hurt the spring. Saying that I usually load them and shoot them out. On the Colt Commander I carry those mags stay loaded longer.

·
Registered
534 Posts
A friends dad had a colt 1911, lock and loaded from the late 1940's............my friend inherited the gun in late 1980's. Same mag, same bullets forty + years later, also an empty box with seven or so rounds missing.
He cleaned the gun, then a week later he gave the old girl a try out.
The old colt shot great, he finish off the full mag and then proceed to shoot up the whole box plus a couple of boxes more..................which include using a couple of new magazines!
Old mag, new mag, old ammo + new stuff................everything went like clock work! :D
Since that and a few others I've seen loaded for extended times I don't buy into the mag spring get week with age........................at least not with good quality springs anyhow??:)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts