Ruger Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Before you continue reading, I suggest you tape a foam pad to your forehead. Just so you don't break your face with the face palm your about to do.

So, erm, what kind of ammo does a Ruger Mk III shoot?

I know it's .22lr, BUT I called Dicks Sporting Goods to see if they had ammo for it in stock and the guy said "what kind of .22 rimfire? Long, medium, short?"

I'm getting one on one instruction on Saturday with a NRA certified instructor and range safety officer. I offered to pick up some ammo, but foolishly didn't ask what kind! I'm wanting to buy a Mk III and he has one he's going to let me shoot, along with a Mk II.

I just want to make sure I buy the exact type of ammo I need. He said stay away from foreign ammo, get Federal Winchester or Remington.

Please help a noob! And I hope your forehead doesn't hurt too bad now ;)

edit: it would also be helpful to know the names of different sizes of ammo packs. I've heard the terms "brick" "box" and "case" tossed around, what do they mean? Rather, how many rounds come in each?

·
Jaded James
900 Posts
The LR in 22LR stands for long rifle.

A brick is usually a 500/550 bulk box of 22LR.

A box or case quantity will depend on type of ammo.

There are no dumb questions only dumb answers. Don't ever hesitate to ask any questions on this fine forum. There a lot of great members here that will be happy to help you.

·
Registered
3,128 Posts
I know it's .22lr, BUT I called Dicks Sporting Goods to see if they had ammo for it in stock and the guy said "what kind of .22 rimfire? Long, medium, short?"
Never heard of a .22 "medium". It's always been short, long & long rifle (lr).

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,810 Posts
byoung, Everyone has to start somewhere and it's not a dumb question.

Let's begin with 22 rimfires ... they are available in 22 Short, 22 Long, 22 Long Rifle (AKA 22 LR) and 22 Magnum. The only one that will function properly in a MK III is a 22 Long Rifle.

Next, there are standard velocity, high velocity, and hyper velocity. Your MK III works best with High Velocity, which are the most common and the cheapest.

Finally, there are different bullet weights from 32 grains to 40 grains plus some are solid bullets whereas others are hollow points. A MK III works best with either 40 grain solids or 36 grain hollow points.

As for packaging ... you can buy a 50 round box or a 100 round box. 500 rounds makes a "brick". There are also bulk packs with odd round counts such as Federal Bulk pack with 550 cartridges, Winchester with 333 cartridges, etc.

To add more confusion, there are many brands to choose from in virtually all of the above configurations.

So ... what you need is 22 Long Rifle, high velocity, with 36 or 40 gr bullets. My suggestion for both economy and quality is to buy a bulk pack of Federal 36 gr hollow points. At Wally World, they sell for under 20 bucks for 550 cartridges. If you can't find them, most any other brand will do but will likely cost more per cartridge.

·
Ausmerican.
42,767 Posts
Welcome from Australia mate.
Glad to have you on board, nice folk here and lots of good info.
.22lr (long rifle).
In AU, a box is fifty, a brick is 500, a case is 5,000.

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts
BTW - the person a Dick's could have been a little more helpful. Sounds like that sales associate needs a little customer service training. As stated above, don't be shy about asking any questions. We were ALL new at one time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you all for the information! So, what I need to buy is .22 "long rifle" ammo? I hope you understand my confusion, with an ammo named "long rifle" I'd think it was for a hunting rifle or something similar.

So, I need .22 long rifle, NOT .22 short?

·
Reloading Addict
10,713 Posts
There are no dumb questions when it comes to firearms. If you are not sure, ask questions. Here at RF you will get straight answers and great advice. This is one great forum.

·
Double P90 Shooter
19,890 Posts
Thank you all for the information! So, what I need to buy is .22 "long rifle" ammo? I hope you understand my confusion, with an ammo named "long rifle" I'd think it was for a hunting rifle or something similar.

So, I need .22 long rifle, NOT .22 short?
Yes you want .22lr or long rifle ammo...

·
Registered
12,851 Posts
So, erm, what kind of ammo does a Ruger Mk III shoot?

It's incredibly smart to make sure you have the correct ammo for a gun. But if you asked the salesguy about that gun specifically then he provided a really dumb answer.

Yes, you want 22lr (aka 22 long rifle), don't let the name fool you, it's not just for rifles.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
The label "long rifle" dates back a hundred years. Like so many cartridge names, there is no rhyme or reason to the name and there sure as heck is no standardized system as to cartridge names.

·
Premium Member
1,542 Posts
Kudos to you for going out and getting some training. Enjoy that MKIII, enjoy the sport!

·
Retired Moderator & Gunsmith
17,810 Posts
byoung, The Short, Long, and Long Rifle designations are well over 100 years old. Back when they were coined, a Short was indeed a short cartridge. The 22 Long had the same case length as a 22 LR but a shorter bullet. It has pretty much been phased out ... only a few companies still make them. That leaves the 22 Long Rifle, which was initially intended for rifles. It worked so well in handguns and rifles alike that most gun manufacturers adopted it as their standard cartridge. There are still a few guns made for 22 Shorts only but nearly all current 22 pistols, revolvers, and rifles use the 22 LR. 22 Shorts can be fired in a revolver or some non-semi auto rifles where it doesn't have to depend on more power to cycle the action. Your MK III would actually shoot 22 Shorts but there wouldn't be enough thrust to operate the bolt so it would end up being a single shot.

Confusing as it may be .... Yes, you want 22 Long Rifle ammo.

·
Registered
2,593 Posts
There are no dumb questions here.... Just dumb answers that I give you..... :D

·
Sr. Exec. Button Monkey
625 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Like has already been said, you want 22LR, or 22 Long Rifle.

I'm only 58 years old, yet every 22 (rifle, pistol, revolver) that I've ever had were chambered for 22LR. I have had a couple bolt action rifles, and a revolver that COULD shoot 22 shorts, but they were CHAMBERED for 22LR.

I didn't know that anyone even still MADE 22 Shorts, or 22 Longs. :) I haven't seen one in MANY years.

Your question was good. The only dumb question is the one that you don't ask.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Duane

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I suggest you stay away from bulk Remington 22lr ammo. Try and get Federal as has been mentioned above.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts